Looking For An SS1K Route

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gleno

Reaction score
As stated.....Im about to do my 1st IBA ride and could really use some route help (and tips) from the collective here. It's a coupla months away, but, I'm trying to get the plan dialed long prior. TIA for the help/advice/road savvy.

I need 1000 plus from Las Vegas, Nv to Eugene, Or. I'll be leaving Vegas at 3am (?) Sat morning May 26th (Memorial weekend), so clean routes would be helpful.

I need 1000 plus from Las Vegas, Nv to Eugene, Or. I'll be leaving Vegas at 3am (?) Sat morning May 26th (Memorial weekend), so clean routes would be helpful.
Lots of cagers/motorhomes clogging the highway's on this weekend, but through Nevada there's plenty of room for passing, but also be aware of increased leo. I will check my map later. ;)

This route has a total distance of 1012 miles according to MSST. I can't comment on the highways shown through Oregon, but the ground you'll cover through Nevada will more than make up for it. :D

image_map.gif

Here's my entry for the least desirable possible route: From Las Vegas, go south on I-15 to Barstow, west on SR-58 to I-5, then north on I-5 all the way to Eugene. S&T says this route is 1046 miles - but it's only redeeming quality is that both I-15 and I-5 tend to have flow-of-traffic speeds of 85+, so you'd make good time.

Here's an interesting alternative. (You'll have to add 75 miles to this route as shown to get 1000.) It's main claim to fame is the leg from Fernley to Gerlach (point 3 and 4 on map), really remote and has some IBA lore attached to it. Others may come along and verify the condition of the road, but I've heard it's pretty fast.

Image1.gif

Here's the monument to Fallen Riders at Gerlach--some really pretty country. :agent:

GuruLaneMemorial-b.jpg

Nevada tax collectors may be out and about, especially around any small towns.The leg from Alturas to Lakeview (point 5 to 6) is pretty nice--big sweepers following the shores of Goose Lake. Since it will be a holiday, there may be some extra LEO on the leg from Klamath Falls (point 7) going north, and Oregon speed laws sux. Expect traffic headed to Crater Lake junction, hopefully more southbond than northbound.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be able to make better time on Skyway's route. Less towns more open roads. Be sure to plan gas stops, 200-225 miles works good on stock tank. Nevada's roads are mostly smooth as butter, lots of fun at extended speeds. Consider using Hwy 58 in Or. from Hwy 97, looks more direct way into Eugene but check miles. Sisters to Eugene Via McKensie Pass is a twisty road and may not be the best section for the end of your ride.

Yambone's route will be a bit more senic, Gerlach to Cedarville is nice but lots of LEO's in Ca. Klamath Falls and beyond will be slower as you will be around a much more populated area. Good route for way home when not in a hurry.

Bring lots of windex as spring and early summer can really mean lots o' bugs in Nevada. Highly reccomend a Valintine radar detector because the FJR loves to run 100 plus on those open desert roads in daylight hours. (er, so I am told). Good Luck.

Checked my Garmin mapsource, on Sky's route going through Eureka will only give you 1,004 miles if using 58 in Or. Instead of going to Eureka, continue North through Ely up to Wells then over to Winnamucca up through Or. to 97 down to 58 to Eugene will give you 1,041 miles. Good to have a extra 30 plus miles to keep the Iron Butt Gods happy, piece of cake! On way home if you have time take 50 from Fernly back to Ely. Take Nev hwy 722 through Eastgate back to 50 in Austin. Nice road way more fun than staying on 50 all the way. 50 from Austin to Ely is a great road just watch for LEO's near and in towns. ;)