Lost a Tomtom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrjonesing

Reaction score
Little background. I was getting tires at the dealership last week, and noticed they had Tomtom Riders. Sales manager told me he had them for $599, but would give me one for $499. I said "Nice price, but I got a buncha other stuff to buy for my trip West next week." He said- "Take it on your trip and try it out. If you don't like it, bring it back."

Sweet deal, huh? They even mounted it, using Tomtoms handlebar mount, when they were putting my tires on.

Sound too good to be true?

Well, I took off this weekend to Texas- 1000 mile trip to visit old friends and relatives- and I loaded all my routes onto the Tomtom. I was about two hours into the trip, and had just gotten through a stretch of pretty bad construction on I-10 when I looked down and saw the empty cradle.

And now, the obvious (but obligatory) warning: Tomtom's mount is inadequate. The unit was properly mounted and the jolts in the construction zone were not that bad. If you own one or are in the market, change the mount or attach a safety tether.

I'm going into the dealership tomorrow to pony up the $499 and tax. Hurts...

Jim/jonesin'

Last edited by a moderator:
at least yours bounced away....

my Garmin was removed by someone who i guess needed it more than I do, as it was stolen.

Now I'm saving up for a new navigation unit. :(

Beg for mercy. Tell them what happened. Ask them to only charge you their cost. If you really liked it, ask them to sell you another one at a discount. Never hurts to ask. :rolleyes:

Little background. I was getting tires at the dealership last week, and noticed they had Tomtom Riders. Sales manager told me he had them for $599, but would give me one for $499. I said "Nice price, but I got a buncha other stuff to buy for my trip West next week." He said- "Take it on your trip and try it out. If you don't like it, bring it back."
Sweet deal, huh? They even mounted it, using Tomtoms handlebar mount, when they were putting my tires on.

Well, I took off this weekend to Texas- 1000 mile trip to visit old friends and relatives- and I loaded all my routes onto the Tomtom. I was about two hours into the trip, and had just gotten through a stretch of pretty bad construction on I-10 when I looked down and saw the empty cradle.

And now, the obvious (but obligatory) warning: Tomtom's mount is inadequate. The unit was properly mounted and the jolts in the construction zone were not that bad. If you own one or are in the market, change the mount or attach a safety tether.

Jim/jonesin'
It would seem to me that if the dealer installed the unit and it fell of the bike while you were going down the road that the dealer's instalation is at fault. You should not have to pay anything or at the very least split the cost with the dealer. :glare:

It would seem to me that if the dealer installed the unit and it fell of the bike while you were going down the road that the dealer's instalation is at fault. You should not have to pay anything or at the very least split the cost with the dealer. :glare:

I would call tour insurance agent, and I think they would cover under the comprehensive. Worth a call anyway.

The installation was fine. It's the POS mount. And that's not the parts manager's responsibility, is it?

The "thing" is: the parts manager is gonna be reluctant to take my money, but the unit was my responsibility.

And I have to feel right about this. I have a great relationship with these guys; hence, the loan of the gps. And I have to be able to look em in the eyes when I go in there.

Still, $500 is a pretty good hit.

(Nice ride back in to Baton Rouge from Austin today. Rode on the new Bridgestones in the rain for most of the day. They did great).

jonesin'

The installation was fine. It's the POS mount. And that's not the parts manager's responsibility, is it?

The "thing" is: the parts manager is gonna be reluctant to take my money, but the unit was my responsibility.

And I have to feel right about this. I have a great relationship with these guys; hence, the loan of the gps. And I have to be able to look em in the eyes when I go in there.

Still, $500 is a pretty good hit.

(Nice ride back in to Baton Rouge from Austin today. Rode on the new Bridgestones in the rain for most of the day. They did great).

jonesin'
I would just explain what happened and ask him how he wants handel it. If you decided you wanted one perhaps if you offer to buy a new one they might be more willing to negotiate a resonable solution.

PS GET A DIFFERENT MOUNT :clapping:

Ouch, sorry to hear that Jim. I've been looking at GPSes for the new bike...I will heed your warning when I get one and not trust the mount.

I've got one of these mounts for my 276c.

01-065-0068-01.jpg

Jim/jonesin'
Jim,

Don't feel bad - I played Lowrance IWay-500 Basketball in May of 2006. I originally had a very secure setup on my original IWay but the third replacement from Lowrance changed the default mounting to a quick release system and I got lazy (and I payed the price) :angry2: ! I hit a pot hole on HWY 290 outside of Austin Texas and the IWay just flew off.

Best Regards,

Shane

Great that you are going to take the responsibility for the loss. I would ask for 'their cost' to replace the lost unit as the mount seemed to be inadequate and was the cause of separation. Sorry it happened but glad you are taking the high road.

Great that you are going to take the responsibility for the loss. I would ask for 'their cost' to replace the lost unit as the mount seemed to be inadequate and was the cause of separation. Sorry it happened but glad you are taking the high road.
I agree 100%...having been a retailer before many, many moons ago, I would venture to guess that he/she would respect your honesty and at the very least let you pay cost...and if you really liked the unit they may even let it go for much less if you buy another one (minus the mount that is :)

The original rider is discontinued. They have a *new model* coming out.

Agree with the 'call insurance' request - but that will depend on the deductible and long term financial ramifications - as well whether they cover accessories (some don't) and whether they'll cover something that isn't *yours*.

My 276c is mounted in the bracket that Garmin provides in the Gimbal they deliver with the base unit. That - and the unpluggable power cord are certainly adequate to keep the device planted over any type of road surface - I've hit stuff that popped the edging off my old Concours fairings and she's stayed put. She was mounted to the bars, to boot.

I prefer to save my money for insurance - the Touratec mount costs enough to pay for zero deductible, all-prils, replacement cost insurance for the life of the bike - and insurance pays off if they steal the unit.

I feel your pain. I ride the same stretches of I-10 that you do, and know how bad some areas are. I have the Garmin Zumo, and the mount thus far has survived the worst of the Bayou States crappy roads.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

p.s. we took a ride to Smugglers Cove this weekend , and it was shut down. Ended up at Fred's instead. Any word on when Smugglers will be opening again?

So, if the Rider has been discontinued it should be selling for bargain basement prices. Comparable discontinued Garmin units (SP2720 and SP2730) are selling for a lot less than $499. What I'm saying is that you should be able to negotiate a very low price if you choose to repay them for the lost unit.

I agree with most of the responses - level with them.

They may be surprised at your honesty and willingness to accept accountability that they treat you totally different than what you may expect.

I guess, put yourself in their shoes - how would you want to be approached about the loss of the unit?

BTW - the previous Rider HAS been discontinued and a new version's coming out. The Euro models are on the market right now...