Low beams not working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkin

Reaction score
My low beams aren't working on my 2003.

Removed the switch and cleaned...even lost the spring..LOL

Looks like the switch just closes the high beam circuit.

Checked the fuse..looks like it does both so wasn't that.

Maybe the bulb..but would seem odd that both would be out..

unless the low beam only does one side??

Any help appreciated.

And yes..bustanut..I did a half-assed search first.. :lol:

My low beams aren't working on my 2003.

Removed the switch and cleaned...even lost the spring..LOL

Looks like the switch just closes the high beam circuit.

Checked the fuse..looks like it does both so wasn't that.

unless the low beam only does one side??

Any help appreciated.

And yes..bustanut..I did a half-assed search first.. :lol:
;) Mine went out about a half an hour from each other.. Seriously.

Not saying this is the case but easy enough to check with a jumper wire or multi meter.

The odds are not very low. Bulbs tend to burn out close to the same time. You *might* be able to see from the front, however pull the left one if you can't tell for sure.

Looked at the bulbs from the front and they don't "look" burn't

Can I get to the left one without pulling tupperware?

I'd check the headlight relay, if it's just on it's way out, you might be able to confirm this by tapping on it. What can happen is that the contacts eventually "burn" and stop making good contact...

Yep.. it's kinda a tight squeeze but it can be done.Just turn the tiller to get the forks outa the way.

When you put 'em back in use silicon grease around the bulb and outer flanges on the rubber boot, It'll make shit easier on you next time you have to replace them.

Clarification; not the bulb itself but the inner ring of the boot that surrounds the bulb base. Get that krap on the new bulb and it will blow it's load in less time then beemerdons, when he see's a nude of Howie.

I'd check the headlight relay, if it's just on it's way out, you might be able to confirm this by tapping on it. What can happen is that the contacts eventually "burn" and stop making good contact...
You can't get at the headlight relay unless you remove the whole front cowling. That being said, you can test the headlight relay by going into diagnostic mode.

You can't get at the headlight relay unless you remove the whole front cowling. That being said, you can test the headlight relay by going into diagnostic mode.
My bad, I was thinking of my superior GenII where the Hi/Lo relay is located behind the B panel and thus easily accessible :rolleyes:

I don't think the Diag will help in proving that the relay is intermittent vs. blown bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
U feking well bedder! I lost 15 minutes of beer drinking saving your sorry ass.. :eek:

Not to mention I was amazingly patient and civil with you..

Send me 50 bucks and I won't rip yer ass next time you ask a question here.

mine also blew out at the same time.
That's nothing.. Scooter blew 5 at a time once... :lol:

It's amazing how many people check electrical components visually and wonder why the things still don't work. :lol:

You cannot see a gap in the filament. You'd see a completely missing filament, but one that's simply parted, as these like to do, you'll never see it.

Nor can you see that a fuse is blown 90 percent of the time.

Put another bulb in it and watch the new one light up. If you HAVE to test the old one to be sure it's dead, put an ohmmeter across its contacts.

It's also amazing how often people look for the most complicated answer to a problem. The lights don't work, therefore I have a wiring or relay or switch malfunction. 99.9999538% chance of the bulb being blown, .0000462% chance of something else being the cause, but we want to investigate something else first.

Amazing.

And monkin, this isn't a dig specifically at you, it's an observation of general behavior by lots of peeps here. OMG!!! My lights don't light up!!! What could it be???!?!?!?!?

Well, light bulbs is the best place to start. Not switches, fuses, relays, or anything else. :)

Just taking advantage of slipping in under the radar while everbody's lookin' at you! :p

And I used smileys!! :p :blink: :lol: :huh: :eek: :)

Yet I'm the dick here.. Go figure :lol:
Time to update your fekin' avatar dude

tumblr_l2j1x5M60u1qzcvh5.gif

Not enough beard, too much, um.... other.

But the round bits are missing, so that's correct! :lol:

Thanks bustanut..I get answers with an attitude...you must know my ex-wife.. :lol:

Really though..I appreciate all the help.

I usually don't go right to the complicated stuff first..but when both bulbs

go at the same time it sends up a red flag.