Major Cager !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBlue

Arrhythmia and Blues
Reaction score
i love to live and learn and actually enjoy it when my many preconceived notions and prejudices get realigned so i can see something from a new perspective...this happens to me often as i have many preconceived notions but i try my best to keep my mind open as after 57 years i still know diddley about diddley...so it has been with electric cars... the kind souls we've been staying with have a 2014 Tesla Model S, the original model...now y'all know i come from the world of high horsepower motorcycles and 0-60 in sub 5, 4 and even 3 seconds is nothing new to me...it takes a lot to tickle my peepee...well this car can do it no problem...it's 0-60 times are in the 5 second range but its in a QUIET comfortable 4000 pound full size automobile with air conditioning on, seats at a comfy recline and Pink Floyd cranking out the tunes with 4.3 people aboard ( they have a 2 year old precious baby girl )!!! OMG !!!!!!! i wasn't a nay-sayer or opponent before and i am a "car guy" even though i prefer bikes when i can get away with it but the future is looking very very bright...and depends may soon get my business as well..cant wait to ride an electric motorcycle now !!! Carry on !

BobbyBlue

...cant wait to ride an electric motorcycle now !!! Carry on !

BobbyBlue
There are some pretty amazing performance numbers posted for electric motorcycles as well. The down side is the problem with energy density in batteries - difficult to get much range with any battery weight that you might want to carry on a bike. A few hundred pounds of extra weight might not be a big deal for a car but would be awful for a motorcycle. Even with the fact that the electric motor weighs a lot less than a gasoline engine and the electric vehicle is far more efficient in converting that energy to motion, it may be a while before we see a performance electric bike with sufficient range to satisfy long-distance riders.

Another hindrance with range is the lack of quick charging stations. But this is on the increase and battery technology is improving to.

I've never taken a ride in a high performance all electric vehicle, but I surely would like to.

Buddy of mine has a Tesla S.... it's a rocket. He turned off the traction control just for grits and shins and the thing lit 'em up instantly. No RPM lag... instant pure power. With TC on it takes off like it's getting catapulted, the acceleration is amazing to feel.

I bought my Africa Twin outta Austin and had it shipped, the dealership has Zero Motorcycles and guy I worked with rode one. Never met the guy, but we talked quite a bit and he was definitely a bike guy. Said he LOVED the Zero. They sound like a hoot to ride.

I test rode a Zero a few years ago. It isn't blistering performance-wise, but the instant torque all the time was giggle-inducing. I would love to ride an Energica or Lightning.

I'm what you would describe as a motorhead but I've had electric cars since 2012. Much is written about the Model S and Model X but the truth of the matter is that their unique selling point - at least from a motorhead's point of view - is the astonishing throttle response, something all EVs share. Even something as seemingly mundane as a Renault Zoe is 90% the experience of a Tesla: silent, vibration free, leaves everyone behind at stop lights.

Incidentally I'd not recommend anyone actually own a battery EV. Hybrid is the future for the short term, particularly with the lack of charging infrastructure. My car gets me around 100 mile in warm weather and around 50 miles per charge in a British winter. It's not enough.