Marty and Sally annual big trip 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyA

Reaction score
I mentioned this trip to a few folks so I thought I would share with everyone. Sally and I get together each summer with a couple of friends from southern PA and Atlanta and go off on a 7-10 day trip. Last year we zig-zagged west to South Dakota and back for 4,000+ miles over 9 days and this year we are going to all the New England states and on to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and PEI for 10 days.

We try to keep it cheap by visiting interesting and notorius places with little or no admission, and all 5 of us share a motel room most of the time which allows us to sleep cheep. We are stopping at places like the Statue of Liberty, Lizzie Borden's house, the castle from Dark Shadows, a newly discovered floating bridge from another post, Salem witch stuff (Sally had ancestors there who didn't float :rolleyes: ), both Minuteman statues in Lexington and Concord, Old North Church (maybe), Legend of Sleepy Hollow cemetery, Campobello, Bah Hahbah, TRACY ROAD!!, stuff like that. We also go for scenic stuff like the Cabot Trail, Kancamagus Highway, [the former] Old Man in the Mountain, Ausable falls, Kaaterskil Falls, Whiteface Mountain, Mt. Washington, Moose, the sunset at beautiful Cavendish Beach, 40 foot tides at Burntcoat and Maitland, Hopewell Rocks, stuff like that. We try to keep to the 2 lane roads, and keep slabs nearby to make up time if needed. This trip will be up Rt 1 along the coast as much as possible and we will watch for whales. On the return we will zig-zag through ME, NH, VT, and NY.

My friends drive baggers so we don't target the good twisty roads (since I do the route planning and I am the guide I do get to pick the roads.... ;) and we don't travel too fast.

This is a copy / paste image from Streets and Trips. Not too detailed but you get the idea. We leave Saturday from Lancaster PA. Some of you know I don't have GPS yet so I use MaPS. We get a lot of practice with U-turns....

MartyNENBNSPECB2008.jpg

Marty,

Canadian meet is coming up. Could you sync with it?

I'll follow this for your updates as would like to do a partial ride-a-long.

Just a heads up, the floating bridge is closed for repairs this year...not sure when the reopening will be.

Also another heads up, there are parts of Rte 1 that are traffic light after traffic light and it can get quite tedious to travel on if you hit it at the wrong time.

Look up Rte 17 in VT...that's a nice road to consider which is right around your 104, 105, 107 waypoints.

Marty,

It is hard to envision you 'not traveling too fast'. B) I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Marty,

have a great trip. It seems like we'll just be missing you because we'll be doing our trip out west.

Your trip sounds like fun. I want to see the "Dark Shadows" house too, and alot of the other things you listed.

Take many pics, ok?!

Marty,have a great trip. It seems like we'll just be missing you because we'll be doing our trip out west.

Your trip sounds like fun. I want to see the "Dark Shadows" house too, and alot of the other things you listed.

Take many pics, ok?!
I missed the reference to the Dark Shadows house. Is that on Hemlock Lake in the Poconos?

Looks like a great ride - we did Nova Scotia a few years ago & never got to PEI, maybe this year!

btw if you are going to be close to Danbury, CT on a Sunday morning why not stop into Marcus Dairy for breakfast & meet several hundred of your friends there?

Checking in from SE PA. Thanks for the wishes and warnings. Floating bridge is off the list.

Jeff - No silver we are in stealth mode - we "blend."

Aware of Rt 1 but I have to show the baggers that we tried to take only 'scenic' routes. Rt 95 is never too far in case we have to make up time.

Thanks bergs - Will check for Rt 17 in VT. Gonna try to hook up with Nice Rumble, but sometimes my best efforts go awry when I am herding cats..... :rolleyes:

Geezer - that is what 1st gear is for??

I'm going swimming. Will check in when I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Marty & Sally

We met on 6/14/08 during the Adirondack ride Jim & Iris put on. :yahoo: I just saw this post and hope all is going well.

It looks like you guys are going thru my home town on the way back. Looking at your map, stop 119 looks like it's at Northville NY. on the Great Sacandaga Lake, this is where I live. If you want some more company Felicia & I would like to meet up with you , some where ahead of this like maybe stop 107 or 108. :rolleyes: In an effort to keep cost down we can stop at my house and fire up the BBQ :) or I know a few really nice places on the lake to eat,(a little pricey but very nice).

I hope you check in and get this. If you're interested PM me with a date,time,cell #,place,etc.,etc.

Ride safe: Art

Back safe! No performance awards, hit most of our targets. One set of friends have lost their "edge" and did not have the stamina for riding late each day so we had to adjust some of the stops, but we hit all the states we wanted and all but Quebec.

I will post a few photos and comments when I get a chance, we have some house stuff to catch up on.

Marty

Glad you made it back safe.

To bad you were not able to stop here for a BBQ, and I wanted to intro my gf . She also works at school, like Sally.

Oh well maybe next time.

Ride safe ; Art

MartyGlad you made it back safe.

To bad you were not able to stop here for a BBQ, and I wanted to intro my gf . She also works at school, like Sally.

Oh well maybe next time.

Ride safe ; Art
Thanks Art, we had a tight schedule and motels were reserved ahead of time. Be sure to check in on the "Cats n Daks 2009" I am sure we can meet up again.