Metallic Clatter When Coasting In Neutral

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWILKIN650

Reaction score
I have an '05 with 1,600 miles and this morning after a 1 minute warm up, coasting down the driveway in neutral, I heard a metallic clatter that increased in frequency up to about 20mph. When coasting to a stop either with the clutch pulled in or in neutral, same clatter. It stops when the bike isn't moving, and seems unlrelated to engine speed (clatter is about the same if it is in gear, when slowing down or in neutral). Thinking it might be ABS related, after a short ride, I put the bike on the center stand, started it (no clatter) revved it to 2000rpm (no clatter), then plunked it into first. Rear wheel turns slowly with bike at idle and red ABS light blinks on and off (I hear the same metalllic clatter as when on the bike and coasting to a stop). Clatter does seem to be coming from about the center of the engine, if I had to guess.

Under warranty, of course, but any suggestions from folks having heard this clatter? Under speed, at a constant 60-65 on a smooth road, feels as if the road is rougher than it is, as if something is constantly vibrating on the bike (ABS cycling on and off?) but no ABS lights come on unless I do what I described above. I checked some other obvious sources, like radiator guard, fork brace. At first I thought it was a bearing gone south, but it doesn't sound like grinding, more like a heavy clatter. Suggestions for diagnosis? <_<

I don't know what you clatter is, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the ABS. All the ABS behaviour you've quoted is completely normal and there is nothing in the ABS system likely to cause clatter.

- Mark

If you put it on the center stand and allow the back wheel to turn but the front wheel is stationary you are inducing the problem. You have wheel speed sensors on front and back wheels. If you do what you describe the front wheel isn't giving a signal to the ABS computer and thus the light will flash because it thinks it has a wheel sensor failure. I agree that I don't believe your problem is ABS related. Driveline is a probability but without seeing it first hand I can only speculate. Take her to the dealer. Post findings back here so we can all learn.

Sounds like it's driveline related to me. Driveshaft ujoint possibly. JB

Reading markjenn and 04 FJR Pilot's comments I agree that it's unlikely that the clatter ORIGINATES with any ABS failure. Just because the clatter occurs when the rear wheel turns when up on the centerstand and the ABS light flashes DOESN'T mean that that the ABS is the cause of the problem. I was confusing cause and effect. Because the clatter seems centralized in the back half of the engine, a drive shaft u-joint seems more likely. I'll limp over to the nearby dealer mid week and put her in the shop. Thanks for the long distance diagnosis, gents. If a bad u-joint, has anyone else had one die so soon?

Hey TW--

Got 2300 on mine now; agree w/U-joint possibility, as unlikely as it should be; I'll be especially interested in the dealer's findings since (as you may recall) I took delivery of mine not that long before yours was delivered. Keep us posted.

Regards,

Brad

I'll keep everyone posted. I plan to take it in Tuesday, as it sounds like a threshing machine in a stone quarry right now! Not good.

She's in the service dept. now; service manager rode it a bit in the parking lot and I saw the WTF look on his face. Hopefully something that doesn't require going to the heart of the beast to fix. I didn't wear ear plugs to the dealer; it's only about three miles from the house, but the clatter had increased to the point that I wasn't sure it was going to make it to the shop. Mystifying! I'll report back. :(

Service department says bad wheel bearing. It hadn't gotten to the point of affecting handling, but it sure was noisy. I'll confirm this was it when I pick it up and test ride. Better this than a lot of the other possibilities, but glad I didn't start out on a long ride figuring that 1,500 miles was too soon for a wheel bearing to go out.

-very interesting...I bet the service mgr will tell you he has never seen this before, given the limited # of FJRs that that they see...I wonder if the bearing came from a U.S. manufacturer!

No power washing, in fact, very little washing at all with only 1,500 miles on the bike ;) . I'm still in the breakin period, so I've been pretty gentle with the throttle too; never have had the front end up in the air, as I'm sure someone will ask sooner or later. I've asked to have the shot front wheel bearing saved, so that I can examine it and get the data off of it.

Only downside is that the bearing is on order and won't arrive until mid next week. Sort of makes a guy want to carry a spare with him. That would pretty much guarrantee that your bearing would NEVER go bad. :lol: Nusman68, makes me wonder if they checked the Motorsports South location for the bearing before they ordered one. If the South location has one in stock, I'm going to be pissed they didn't check there first in an effort to get me back on the road. Had this happened on the road, I'd be holed up in a motel for a few days until I could get one FEDEX from a dealer with one in stock. One would think a wear part like a bearing might be stocked at most dealers.

Most Japanese bikes have wheel bearings that are standard issue and can be supplied by any good bearing shop. But since this is a warranty repair, the dealer probably has to fit OEM parts.

I wouldn't be too PO'd about the dealer not having it in stock - while there have been some reports of bearing failures, it's not common and any dealer who kept wheel bearings in stock for all the models he sells would have several thousand dollars of wheel bearing inventory gathering dust, especially since most of us use cheaper non-OEM bearings once out of warranty.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea to keep the bearing; my brother has had to replace many bearings in his job, and over the years has used a bearing supplier (TL Walker Bearing, IIRC) on Hempstead Hwy (since you're in the Houston area) many times to get a replacement when the original manufacturer was out of stock; the number/letter data on the bearing should cross reference to a standard Timken or the like. Their specs meet/exceed OEM; you could probably pick one up to keep as a spare. (I think I will).

One other piece of trivia: I was talking to him today about your situation and he reminded me that on one of his bikes, (a Suz GS1100G) that it has gone through 3 front wheel bearings in under 25K miles, for unknown reasons. Same deal, normal riding, no wheelies, no water crossings, etc, etc.

Perhaps one of our engineer brethren could shed some light on this...

Good suggestion, I may try them first tomorrow afternoon if they're open. Maybe some bikes because of the bearing size, position, or some other reason are harder on bearings than others, but geez, 1,500 miles!!!????? :(

I'd chalk up your bearing problems to normal infant mortaility - rare, but it happens. Replace it and it's will likely go for as long as you care to own the bike.

- Mark

Hey TW,

I just thought of this...

Had you been visiting any local biker bars? Maybe your 05 had gotten some Harleyitis!.... a good washing may be in order!