Morgan Carbtune

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markjenn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought I'd relate my recent experiences with carb sync devices.

I've had a Motion Pro mercury manometer set for a coon's age, perhaps 10 years or more. I've always thought it worked reasonably well until I used it on my FJR a month or so ago and noticed the the mercury in the columns had "air pockets" - areas where the mercury column was interrupted with short segments of air. They were minor but no amount of pulling vacuum in/out would dislodge the pockets and give me an uninterrupted column of mercury. Further, on my Motion Pro, there is a good part of the mercury column that is covered by the plastic carrier that holds the columns so I wondered if there were further air segments below the ones I could see. I finally decided that the effect of the segments was probably minor, so I balanced it as best I could, with a nagging suspicion that perhaps I had a problem with the Motion Pro.

After adjustment, I never thought the bike run as well as before. It had a growly vibration if you snapped the throttle open off idle and the above 5K vibrated seemed worse. The vibration was certainly acceptable, but I wondered if the problem with my manometers might have caused me to worsen the adjustment.

I was just about to order another set of mercury manometers when I heard about the Morgan Carbtune II device. This is a manometer which substitutes stainless steel rods for mercury. It looked good, so I decided to give it a try. As their web site indicates, ordering was painless and it arrived within a week from the UK. It wasn't cheap though - with the poor exchange rates and the tacky 3% surcharge that credit card companies are now charging for currency exchanges, the total bill with shipping for the device and a carrying case was about $120. This is nearly 3x what it costs for the cheaper manometers.

Setup was easy. You do have to do a one-time setup to add restriction dampers in the tubes (basically cutting sections of clear plastic tube to place into the hoses), but it is an easy 10-minute job. The device is compact, set up nicely to hang from the handlebars, has plenty of high-quality and very flexible hose (noticeably less stiff than the hoses on my Motion Pro, but that may be due to aging of the MP), and hooks up to the FJR's vacuum ports very easily. Mostly, it is nice to have something that is isn't so unweidly and that doesn't have toxic mercury to worry about.

Okay, all hooked up. The FJR fired up and I let it warm. Immediately, I noticed that the sync, which looked good on my mercury system, was way off. Once it came up to temperature, I made the adjustment which was MUCH easier than with the mercury tubes. The stainless steel bars are very easy to read, well damped, and it was simple to get them perfectly aligned. Wow, that was really easy.

The 4K sync, while not perfect, wasn't far off, so I'm going to postpone the "Unauthorized TB Sync" (where you adjust the butterfly sync rather than the idle bleed air sync) until another day.

When I went for a test ride, it was immediately apparent that the bike was smoother and had better off-idle response. I'm sure I was mis-adjusted badly with the Motion Pro.

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with the mercury manometers if you're reaosnable sure they aren't afflicted with the air pocket problems I have. And you can't beat the price. But after this experience, I'm convinced that the Carbtune is a better mouse trap. And between uses, it goes neatly into the back of my tool chest, rather than hanging ackwardly on the wall.

Ride on,

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice writeup and info.

I'll be looking for one of these soon, and this solidifies the decision on the tool I am going to buy.

Thanks!

I've also been using the Morgan CarbTune since purchasing my first FJR in '02. I've also been quite happy with its use and lack of mercury. Probably a little less accurate than a mercury manometer but it works for me. I also purchased the cordura case that is available and it all tucks nicely away when not in use. Very easy to transport to tech sessions as well. Highly recommended.

I've got the Morgan Carbtune as well and concur on the ease of use. As mentioned earlier it's real nice to just put it back in the box and not worry about spilling any Hg.

Excellent write up Markjenn. I have also been using the MorganCarb2. I love the ease of use. You can also find the product here: https://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha...ry_Code=MorganT
Note: California Sport Touring was very slow on my order. It took about three weeks. Very pleased with the product and the non mercury tubes.
My last order from California Sport Touring I ordered a bike cover, Heli Bars and Throttle Miester 3 day shipping.

The TM came 3 day from TM, The Heli Bars were shipped GROUND from Heli Bar and it took 5 unanswered E-Mails, 3 phone calls and 8 weeks to get the bike cover! :angry:

I ordered a TM and a few other things form CA sport touring a couple months ago. Everything but the TM came promptly, probably because the TM was drop-shipped directly from the mfg. But the paperwork I got was a bit confusing and I ended up waiting about an extra week for the TM to show up. I was emailing CA ST during the last couple days about the problem with no response.

I think CA ST is mostly a good outift and I got everything I ordered within a reasonable time, but I don't think they're great on the customer service side, at least through email contact.

YMMV.

- Mark

Got my "Morgan" a couple of years ago and it truley is a nice piece of work. Ordered direct from Morgan in England, and got it in 5 days!!!! Buy the case with it if you can swing it. It's nice to be able to lay it down flat and not have to worry about the mercury leaking out. I've got animals around and that is a death sentence if they ingest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got mine directly from the UK. It took somewhere between one and two weeks.

Just make sure that you read the manual and install the "dampers" in the hoses before using the thing.

:reading:

I guess I'm a little miffed that you have to perform surgery on the hoses on an item that you paid a hundred bucks for before you can use it. Fot that much, why don't they do it themselves?

:rant:

Cheers,

Jim

I guess I'm a little miffed that you have to perform surgery on the hoses on an item that you paid a hundred bucks for before you can use it. Fot that much, why don't they do it themselves?
I guess because it would cost $110 rather than $100. I was a little surprised this was required also, but it's dead simple and takes 5 minutes or so.

- Mark

I like my Carbtune too. But I admit to worrying about it. Seems like it would be very easy to get gummed up in a bunch of different ways compared to simple fluid manometers.

I guess I'll be taking another look at my Motion Pro! Will be doing a TBS in the next week. Will give an update of any problems.

I have never done a t.b. sync before the FJR. Got the CarbTune as a gift direct from the UK (very quickly I might add). Did the synch and it came out great. I only did the idle sync, but will try the 4k one after I get the brake farkle done. I think the CarbTune was well worth the $$.

I was in the bike biz off and on from 1973 until 1999. During that time I used some form of mercury sticks to do carb synchs.

Shortly after I got the FJR I started buying the few special tools I'd need to maintain it, and saw an ad for the Morgan CarbTune. I ordered one with the case direct from Morgan, got mine in 4 or 5 days, and after using it the first time I will NEVER go back to any form of mercury balancer.

Craig

See elsewhere in the forum for an explanation of the air pockets in the mercury column (it is time related). Replace the mercury and your Motion Pro will work like new.

My Morgan Carb tune order was filled promptly and delivered faster than a lot of stuff I ordered locally. Morgan CALLED to be sure I was happy. They also wanted to know how long it took to arrive since they hadn't shipped to my neck of the woods before.

I would suggest that the first time or two you use the Morgan to swap the hoses around to ensure that the readings are the same for each column and stay the same after swapping the hoses. Initially mine changed but I got that straightened up by adding a bit more pulse to two columns. My Morgan essentially matches the readings I get on the Toxic 'Tune

Alan