Mother of All Mexico Dirt Bike Rides - March in 2015!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to look at some KTM's today just in case I can't get a new WR450 properly plated for the street and I decide against repairing my old WR.

Since more of the bike shops know me and that I ride Yamahas I figured I better go in disguise and dress like your typical Leafs fan.....

Leafs-Fan-L.jpg

That should throw them off.

Just in case they recognize my SUV I thought I would take the Leafs fan bus over to GP Bikes in Whitby....

kACKkWH.jpg

If I decide to go this route I'm thinking the KTM 500 EXC should do the job....

122-1205-02-o+ktm-500-exc+.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my IMO but I think you will really like the maintenance required for 690 as compared to the 500. Also consider it's good feeling to be able to run the 690 all day long at 65 MPH on the pavement without being concern with running the engine too hard.. However I definitely see the advantage of the 500 being 60 lbs lighter than 690.

Just my IMO but I think you will really like the maintenance required for 690 as compared to the 500. Also consider it's good feeling to be able to run the 690 all day long at 65 MPH on the pavement without being concern with running the engine too hard.. However I definitely see the advantage of the 500 being 60 lbs lighter than 690.
It's more important to me to have a bike capable of single track trail but still be able to title it for the street. The only two KTM's that will fill that niche are the 350 XCE-F or the 500. When it comes to ease of maintenance the Yamaha WR450 is far superior compared to the KTM.

The video is from Day 5 after I had dropped a valve in my WR450. After loading up my bike into the back of the support pickup we caught up to the rest of the group. Later that morning there was a decision made to try a gravel / dirt road that formed a loop to try and get some off-pavement riding in.
Jim, who was riding a Suzuki DR 650 wanted a break from the rain and his back was getting sore so we switched places so he could get warm and dry in the truck. We headed up but about 1/4 of the way around the loop we stopped and re-evaluated our route. This is where the video starts....

https://vimeo.com/123457277

And now for something completely different.....

On my way back to the Great White North I stopped in at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I'm not the bigget fan of Corvettes but I've always had a soft spot for the '63 Split Window Stingray. They had a race prepped one on display at the museum....

DSC_0254-L.jpg

DSC_0255-L.jpg

You may recall that there was a issue with a sinkhole that opened up inside the display area of the museum and a number of Corvettes ended up in the sinkhole.

Some suffered only minor damage that was easily repaired like this '09 Vette that the museum staff call the "Blue Devil"....

DSC_0268-L.jpg

The Z06 that fell in the sinkhole will require a little more buffing....

DSC_0275-L.jpg

I believe that they may be able to recover some of the lugnuts.

Laughing, Bill is one hell of a mud rider, with lots of practice in the semi-frozen tundra and he has great fun at our "heavy bmw's"expense.

But it's and apples to oranges comparison. As such the 4 little Beemers, logged over 5000 trouble free miles, none of them took dirt naps,

or flung large metal parts down the road and most importly played like a happy German Shepard and ROAD IN THE BACK OF A PICKUP TRUCK! ....

~BEAR
Even Hitler did not think much of a GS.....

...When it comes to ease of maintenance the Yamaha WR450 is far superior ....
Yeah, after you get home from a trip, you simply yank out the motor, rebuild the sonofabitch, and reinstall it.

Coupla hours, a couple thousand bucks, and BOING! "Maintenance" complete!

laugh.png

Fred Bill, I've really enjoyed your videos and wordage aboot the trip. It was almost like being there, .....except I remained warm and dry.

"Memorable" can be many different things, huh?

Best LOL line in the whole report -

Yamafitter wrote:

"I think I'm going to detour to Phoenix on the way home and drown Don in the bathtub so he can feel that he was on the ride."

Very glad y'all made it home safely.

...and I'm starting to hate hockey, ....or whatever it is the Leafs have been playing.

What's next, Bill?The spring thaw in New Brunswick?

FitterMud_zpsp9qhy46n.jpg
+1 Gunny!

I got a kick out of this:

Yeah, after you get home from a trip, you simply yank out the motor, rebuild the sonofabitch, and reinstall it.

Coupla hours, a couple thousand bucks, and BOING! "Maintenance" complete!

The hardest part of the maintenance on the Yamaha is cutting the frame in half so you can get the motor out. Everything after that was easy.

Ride Summary

This will be a trip that I will remember for a very long time. Many thanks to Skip and the rest of the staff of MotoDiscovery who put together this tour for our group. Our guides, Alberto & Juan worked hard for the entire trip making sure we reached our destination each night.

It was a real shame that the weather played such a key role in mostly keeping us out of the backcountry. When I rode with MotoDiscovery in Copper Canyon we rode some amazing backcountry trails and I was looking forward to the same on this trip. Unfortunately the constant rains caused the guides a major headache as the carefully planned original route had to be thrown out the window and it was a scramble to find interesting routes each day to replace the intended path.

It was also a shame that Russ from Seattle made the decision to bail part way through the trip but it was understandable given the circumstances and getting rear ended by a Mexican driver did not help. After returning from Mexico Jim was thinking that maybe dualsport riding was not his cup of tee. I tried to stress not to make any decisions based on this ride alone. The freak weather really changed the entire complexion and this was by no means your typical dualsport ride.

There were parts of this adventure I enjoyed immensely including some of the riding in the rain. I had fun on the road over the mountains leading out of Santiago though riding down the toll road in the rain sucked donkey balls.

The ride up to Alta Cima was definitely a highlight for me along with the picnic at the waterfall on Day 3 of the ride and the off-pavement section that followed. That was a blast on the WR450. Accommodations for the most part were very good. I would give very high marks to the hotels in Santiago, Real de Catorce and Gomez Farais. We have to give allowances for the hotel in Galeana and the cabins at the Spa Hacienda la Florida since there were no other options.

The food and libations were excellent throughout the trip though I understand Chris had some issues with Montezuma's revenge on his return home. The apres ride activities and cultural exposure were very memorable. Also I would like to thank all the other riders in our group. The comradery throughout the trip helped keep everyone's spirits up and helped find the fun factor that on some days was a little difficult to see. I probably did make a little too much fun of the Beemer riders and being a polite Canadian I should say SORRY (that you ride a GS).

As one of our forum members posted it's not the ordinary rides where nothing really happens that are memorable, it's the rides were there is some adversity that live on in the memory.

This ride turned into a real adventure and I'm glad I was part of it. I would have been more glad to be a part if I wasn't looking at the broken motor in my garage but that is a different story.

Memo to self - next time, rent a bike. The WR450F is an Enduro bike, not an Adventure bike.

Thanks for all the updates and time you put into this report. Except for all the rain, it looked awesome. And, since you didn't get ambushed, and millions drained out of your hidden pension fund, I'd say you had a very successful & memorable ride.

As of 19:15 this evening I am happy to report my WR450 is making vroom vroom noises of its own accord. It took longer than I planned but I get to ride sweep at the enduro our club is hosting on Sunday and tomorrow I will be out doing a little pre-riding to check out the course as part of the break-in.

Looking forward to being out in the woods again.

Vroom vroom this is good news! Today I will take my bride over Chinook Pass and along the way we will see some great views of Mt. Rainier and enjoy some twisty roads.

Now if Bust and Don get all healed up all with be right with the world again!
weirdsmiley.gif

As of 19:15 this evening I am happy to report my WR450 is making vroom - eh vroom - eh noises of its own accord. It took longer than I planned but I get to ride sweep at the enduro our club is hosting on Sunday and tomorrow I will be out doing a little pre-riding to check out the course as part of the break-in.
Looking forward to being out in the woods again.
Hoser, I fixed it for you eh! JSNS, wicked eh!

The video is from Day 5 after I had dropped a valve in my WR450. After loading up my bike into the back of the support pickup we caught up to the rest of the group. Later that morning there was a decision made to try a gravel / dirt road that formed a loop to try and get some off-pavement riding in.Jim, who was riding a Suzuki DR 650 wanted a break from the rain and his back was getting sore so we switched places so he could get warm and dry in the truck. We headed up but about 1/4 of the way around the loop we stopped and re-evaluated our route. This is where the video starts....

https://vimeo.com/123457277
Very well done, my Canadian friend! Good to see a true dirt donk leading the way...