Motion -pro Carb Tuners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Plain Dave

Just Plain Dave
Reaction score
I just saw the thread on the Morgan Tuner. Somehow I missed it before and I just two days ago ordered a Motion-Pro. Now I am being told they are not so great. I am in hopes that someone will respond and tell me they are happy with their Motion-Pro Economy Carb Tuner. Mine arrives Friday. :clap:

I've used my Motion-Pro Economy model twice, seemed to work OK, but what do I know? I only used it at idle. I do remember reading something about a better set-up for 4000 rpm usage. I guess that if I ever feel I need better adjustment, then I'll look into a better device.

FJReady

Been using a Motion-Pro since the late 70's.

Buddy balanced the TBs on my oilhead with one of those whizzbang electronic things. That was the only time my `94 R1100RSA ever surged! Rebalanced `em when I got home with the Carb Stix and all was well.

I have the cheapie Motion Pro Mercury gauge, same one for years, multitude of bikes balanced on it, has never failed nor been less than excellent at it's job. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out WTF they are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I eventually had problems with mine after 15 years where the mercury started separating in the columns, but it worked great for many years.

The Morgan has the advantages of no mercury and easier storage, but the Motion Pro will do the job just fine.

- Mark

Thanks to you guys I can enjoy my Lazyboy time this afternoon. Can't ride right now, we are being blessed with a much needed rain. :rolleyes:

P.S. Yes, I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to riding in the rain. :nono:

My mama used to tell me, "Don't worry. The rain won't hurt you. Turds float..."

I have both types of carb sync tools. I have used the mercury type for years. The mercury columns are very stable and really easy to read. After time the mercury columns will want to separate, this is caused by mercury loss and/or the columns becoming contaminated. Contamination usually comes from rapid opening and closing the throttle. This also can cause mercury to be ingested into the engine. No harm to the engine, want to sniff the exhaust? :skull: The contamination thing may eventually catch up with the Morgan too, time will tell. The biggest problem with the mercury carb sticks is, well, the mercury. In 49 states it is easy to get replacement mercury, in CA buy the Morgan. It is a also a bit big to manage but there are benefits to that, more later.

The Morgan Carb tool is easy to manage, doesn't care which end is up (mostly), easy to store, fits in the FJR luggage and is pretty cool to look at. If I have spent >$100 for a tool why do I have to cut the tubes and insert the restrictors myself? The stainless steel rods must pulse slightly to prevent sticking. You have to nip bits of the tube to achieve this. Fiddle, fiddle again on a >$100 tool.

This is how they compare in overall size:

carb%20sticks%20size%20sm.jpg

This shows the difference in scale size.

carb%20sticks%20sm.jpg

It is the difference in scale size and therefore the accuracy that sways me strongly toward the toxic but useful Carb Stick. The Morgan begins with a tiny scale and then needs to have the rods pulse slightly, hey, it's in the manual, RTFM (read the factory manual or something close to that). Each pair of heavy red lines on the Morgan corresponds to one division on the Carb Stick.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Motion Pro here. No problems so far. I don't need to carry it anywhere, which is a good thing, because it ain't too portable.

No problems sync'ing TBs with it. Nice tool for the money.

I didn't find the Morgan required any fiddling to get it to work perfectly - just installing the restrictors which is about a 5 minute job. No issues whatsoever with the bars sticking.

As I said earlier, either one will give you the same results and the mercury ones are cheap. But when it comes to convenience, portability, storage ease, and lack of toxicity, the Morgan wins hands down.

- Mark

The Motion Pro is pretty cool having that big scale to work with, as Ionbeam notes. Great for group sessions as everyone nods their approval as the mercury balances. But I like my Morgan CarbtuneII, especially since I have almost forgotten how much it cost a couple of years ago. (I think the arm is growing back.) Easy to store, etc. The fiddling with the restrictors (one time set up) was cake.

Do they sell the Motion Pro at any local auto parts store?