Motion Pro Economy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When was very young in the 40's my dear old dad had a hearing aid which used batteries about as big around as a dime and a half inch tall. They were cased in metal and if you opened them they were full of an ugly green substance. If you squeezed this green stuff, mercury came oozing out. You could get about a teaspoon of mercury out of about ten batteries. We would let it roll around in the palms of our hands and put dimes and quarters in it, rub them real good and boy did they shine nice. (they did get discolored after a few days) I'm guessing that was before they added the poison to mercury because we are all past 65 now and none of us are showing any symptoms of mercury poisoning.......yet. PTL

Stay away from the economy model. They do NOT give accurate readings. Been there, done that.

Morgan or Motion pro professional are much better quality.

Stay away from the economy model. They do NOT give accurate readings. Been there, done that.
Morgan or Motion pro professional are much better quality.
You missed one other option. No mercury OR stainless slides to stick:

Electronic vacuum meter

I am wrestling with this one myself. I got the Motion Pro DeLuxe model and just did mine this last weekend. It seemed to go well, but I am a "techy" kind of guy and I do have some lust for this. I have sold one to an FJR owner, but never got any feedback.

Back when I was in high school, someone had "borrowed" a pound of mercury from the lab for evryone to polish their sterling silver ID bracelets (that were all the rage then).

Apparently I was the only one that had a reaction to it. It went into my blood by way of my wrist. My armpits and groin immediately broke out in foul smelling water blisters and my blood pressure dropped leaving me listless and chairbound.

Parke-Davis, in Detroit, came up with a serum for my doctor to use. I was half out of it, but I remember him on the table straddling my left arm and working the needle into my arm. Why it was so difficult I'll never know.

After that I had an allergy to even the merthiolate they used to use on Band-Aids of the day. I would break out around my mouth every time I had a tooth filling.

Either dentists have changed their ways, or I've overcome my aversion to mercury. :(

dobias

Um, Sparky? Did the fire department send you the 'bill' yet?
You know I have been wondering about that ever since they showed up. I know in the past when I have been taken to the hospital in an ambulance workmans comp got the bill. I don't know how it works with the fire department.

In 2nd grade a kid brought some mercury for show-and-tell. It got described and then it was passed around the room where everyone got to touch it while the teacher described how you could put your finger in the liquid yet it wouldn't get wet.

Never did any of us any ha^ har& harm... :arrowhead: :mmm: :stunned:

The trick with the sticks is how you store them. I just keep them hanging on the same hook I use when I do the TB synch. I just move it from the "sky hook" over to the peg board and hang it up when done.

If I were to spill it, I'd herd it up into a single pool and then either scrape it into a plastic container (maybe one of the little screw trays from my fasterner box or something similar) or use an eye dropper/baister. No need to panic since it's just not that much.

Besides, it's not like you blipped the throttle too fast and sucked it into the motor and vaporized it out the exhaust. :wacko: :bigeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it a municipal department or a volunteer? If it's a vol, you might not get a bill, but you might want to flip them a couple bills anyway. If it's municipal, hopefully those guys won't want to shuffle the paperwork. Seems I've heard of folks getting charged for this sort of stuff. Let us know if anything ever surfaces, charge-wise.

Dobias, hopefully your dentist just stopped using mercury all together. In your case, I would insist upon it. Then again, you could be allergic to gloves or the disinfectant they were using on their hands. That breaks out quite a few folks.

Stay away from the economy model. They do NOT give accurate readings.
My 10 year old Motion has brought smoothness to umpteen bikes over the years (15 years at least on this one). Accuracy as far as scale is and has been irrelevant, as it is balance, ie comparitive readings that it has been used for, like a compression gauge used to compare cylinders, the actual numbers aren't important, so scale accuracy has not been a priority.

I know most of you are kidding so I will leave it at that.

You know just because you did "whatever" as a kid doesn't mean it was a good thing to do. How many years has it taken us to stop using arsenic in our wood pressurizing treatment? How long did the Romans drink water out of lead lined water lines before they died. The flouride in our water is not good for us but our country continues to do it. There are 3 different types of mercury elemental mercury, inorganic mercury, and organic mercury. Elemental mercury is most dangerous when inhaled, swallowing it will most likely just pass right through. But the question is what causes it to put off fumes. The hazmat team didn't want me around when they were moving it around in fear of fumes. Recently organic mercury has become a big concern in fish after years and years of saying how good fish is for you "brain food" now they are saying not to eat tuna fish etc. Tuna fish use to be my favorite food to eat after a tough martial arts cardio workout? Anyway, we can go on and on about how it wasn't that big a deal and maybe it wasn't that much mercury but when that stuff hit the ground it went everywhere. It was like grease on water. If the pools of it had been large maybe but the droplets that were on the floor of my garage were the size of the tip of a pen and all over the place. Anyway my neighbor across the street has on several occasions called the fire department because she smelled gas. There was never a gas leak and no one ever thought she was over reacting...

Again, I didn't mean for this to become a bash against motion pro etc. The tool does what it needs to do just fine. If the levels of mercury are all even that is all you need. The number really isn't as important. I will not be using the motion pro and have since perchased a morgan carbtune II for the simple fact that they don't use mercury.

has on several occasions called the fire department because she smelled gas. There was never a gas leak and no one ever thought she was over reacting
You'll know if she starts smelling mercury. :D

Mercury, lead, arsenic, bismuth, etc. are all heavy metals. They can cause damage to the nervous system but they are cumlulative and don't make you a raving lunatic upon a single or a limited number of multiple exposures. These metals manifestate themselves usually in a occupational long term exposure as mentioned in an earlier post about the mad as a hatter example. Use some common sense, clean up spills, wash your hands (maybe wear a mask if you're cutting) after handling pressure treated wood, etc. Dose and exposure are the key as to whether to freak out or not. And by the way, lead pipes usually form a lead oxide inside them quite quickly, which shields the water used way back when and didn't lead to widespread poisening as most of the safety-nicks would have you believe.

You know just because you did "whatever" as a kid doesn't mean it was a good thing to do. How many years has it taken us to stop using arsenic in our wood pressurizing treatment? How long did the Romans drink water out of lead lined water lines before they died. The flouride in our water is not good for us but our country continues to do it.
The wussification of modern society! :bleh:

Mercury, lead, arsenic, bismuth, etc. are all heavy metals. They can cause damage to the nervous system but they are cumlulative and don't make you a raving lunatic upon a single or a limited number of multiple exposures.
True it takes "long" term exposure but reading some of the research on flouride dangers it only takes 1 ppm of of exposure in rats "who are more resistant than humans" to show real brain damage. Cancer has been linked etc. How much exposure is too much and how much are we exposed to everyday in things that we eat. I use to smoke for about 10 years, I have not for almost as long it will be 9 years this month. I know some people who smoked 2 packs a day their entire life and never got cancer. My family has a history of cancer, bone, lung, breast so I figure I was pushing it. My concerns were not of immediate falling down dead but I already have asthma (exercise induced) whatever that means :lol: so more damage to my lungs was not what I wanted. It was a personal choice, I have worked with wood all my life and sniffing the particals is not good but I never really took any percautions until my uncle who was a cabinet maker eventually suffered a callapsed lung which didn't happen over night...

Mercury, lead, arsenic, bismuth, etc. are all heavy metals. They can cause damage to the nervous system but they are cumlulative and don't make you a raving lunatic upon a single or a limited number of multiple exposures.
Fine, Mr smart guy, what then do I now use as an excuse? :)

Fine, Mr smart guy, what then do I now use as an excuse? :)
Actually, I've always gone by the axiom that, "ANY excuse is better than none". :D

Was it a municipal department or a volunteer? If it's a vol, you might not get a bill, but you might want to flip them a couple bills anyway. If it's municipal, hopefully those guys won't want to shuffle the paperwork. Seems I've heard of folks getting charged for this sort of stuff. Let us know if anything ever surfaces, charge-wise.
Dobias, hopefully your dentist just stopped using mercury all together. In your case, I would insist upon it. Then again, you could be allergic to gloves or the disinfectant they were using on their hands. That breaks out quite a few folks.
In our Volunteer Department, we use an outfit called Rescue Revenue for billing purposes. Generally speaking, we don't bill locals unless they are repeat "offenders" or give us a lot of lip when we put out their trash fires during a burn ban.

We mostly use Rescue Revenue to recoup some of our expenses incurred working accidents along the Interstate that runs through the middle of our area of responsibility. Left to their own devices, it appears most folks who are "just passing through" could give a flying brick how we pay for our equipment/fuel/supplies etc.

I do appreciate your suggestion to " flip them a couple bills" as we are chronically short of funds. Tough to operate on a 180k budget when you're mostly counting on donations and fund drives. Since our area is becoming a "bedroom community" to the metroplex, more and more of our residents are unaware that we are a volunteer department (74% of firefighters in the US of A are volunteers).[/soapbox]

twitch I used to eat the twitch paint chips twitch off the window twitch sills when I twitch was a kid. twitch I wonder if twitch it affected me? twitch :dribble:

Whoa! twitch A pteranodon just buzzed me! Did you see that?! twitch

twitch I used to eat the twitch paint chips twitch off the window twitch sills when I twitch was a kid. twitch I wonder if twitch it affected me? twitch :dribble:
Whoa! twitch A pteranodon just buzzed me! Did you see that?! twitch
LOL :D