Motovation Frame Sliders and Torque Value

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR_Mikey

Reaction score
Okay...

I'm going to start a thread that has been beat to death, but the number of different opinions has got me spinning.

What is the proper torque value for installation of the Motovation Frame Sliders for a 2009? These are the straight frame bolt-on type seen here:

Clicky

I bought these with complete confidence on an easy install until I started reading the nightmare problems others have had and the multiple opinions on torque range.

29 ft lbs, 30 ft lbs, 35 ft lbs, 40 ft lbs and 41 ft lbs.

There was even one guy that warned against even torquing them to 29 ft lbs.

I was planning on putting them on dry with blue loctite. Would that be considered a lubricant and affect torque value?

After reading all these posts, I've gone from confident to scared to even touch them.

Help please! :>)

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that they are engine mount bolts. However... These things have come off of bikes without loctite. The directions recommend loctite, but do not state how much torque. Where do you come up with 35 lbs? Is this from a Yamaha service manual or a forum reference list?

Service manual, and repeated in this very forum's very own Bin-O-Facts here.

And I still say no Loc-tite. The bolts aren't Loc-tited from the factory, nor does the service manual specify it.

I don't know of anybody who's actually had one come off. I do know of several that have loosened. But it wasn't the bolt that loosened, it was the un-sleeved slider that compressed, removing tension from the bolt and making it loose. The bolt didin't back out until the slider material relaxed its grip on the bolt head. Loc-tite would have absolutely zero effect on that situation; the engine would still be "loose" in the frame with improper pressure under the bolt head.

If your slider has the metal sleeve inside (and those do, I think) then torque, but no Loc-tite. Check it in a month or so if it makes you feel better.

My sleeved sliders have never needed re-torquing in the 3 years they've been on the bike. But being a Gen-I, they go through the fairing through a hole I had to drill, rather than through the vent slot as in a Gen-II, so I get to check the sliders every time I need to get inside a faring panel. That means I know they've never been loose.

Well being a noob I read and re read everything on sliders I could. When I went to install mine the right slider will not go through the plastic vent, it will not physically fit through the plastic any way and I think it is a '10 thing on the body work being different.

So since the bolts also have pinch bolts your toque after you torque the slider bolt to factory spec. I needed a extension and a swivel to torque the right pinch bolt from the front.

IMHO you need to loosen those pinch bolts, remove the factor bolt, insert and torque the slider to factory spec, and then torque the pinch bolt to factory torque.

No lock tight!

You mileage may vary as "shit just happens" to me.

thanks! Just picked up an 08 and got my Motovation Sliders. Didn't even have to go searching threads to find out the torque settings!

Can you folks figure out my next farkle and post answers to my next question before I even know what it is! :rolleyes: