Mounting Grip heater

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myboyhay

Reaction score
So I'm trying to clean up the clutter of all the gadgets. I would love to take the pot out of this grip heater and install in so that only the knob is exposed. The problem is this thing is sealed, i assume to keep the weather out. Has anyone had any experience dismantling this thing. I'm sure there is a small board...will it mount flush...can I just cut it open? I just need the pot man. yeah i know the pics are blurry.

Thanks

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

I had one like that on my Wing.... let's see how good my memory is... I believe you just pull the knob off, but look for a set screw. There is a nut holding the pot in the housing, but wait... There are 4 screws on the back that hold the back cover on. The board is there, but be careful pulling on the wires, some of which are soldered to the corner of the board (I did damage trying to re-route them). You can take a look to see if you think you can reuse the pot and board where you want it. You might not get the LED where you want it..... but use a wire tie to keep the wiring from straining on the board solder points.

I ended up ruining it as I accidentally wired it backwards...... got a heat-troller (naked board style) to replace it.

I had one like that on my Wing.... let's see how good my memory is... I believe you just pull the knob off, but look for a set screw. There is a nut holding the pot in the housing, but wait... There are 4 screws on the back that hold the back cover on. The board is there, but be careful pulling on the wires, some of which are soldered to the corner of the board (I did damage trying to re-route them). You can take a look to see if you think you can reuse the pot and board where you want it. You might not get the LED where you want it..... but use a wire tie to keep the wiring from straining on the board solder points.I ended up ruining it as I accidentally wired it backwards...... got a heat-troller (naked board style) to replace it.
Thanks Yzerman, this thing does not have any screws on the back...it is sealed shut. I may just wait on tearing into for now.

There is a inexpensive cheap grip controller that looks almost like the OEM controller that you have, I think that is what Yzerman has seen. The cheapo has a power LED and is assembled with screws.

The OEM controller is not potted (filled with environmental encapsulation) so you can cut it open and remove the knob pot. If the controller case were flat on top all you would have to do is pop off the knob and drill a hole for the heat control shaft to pass through, but alas...

You will absolutely have to find a way to protect the knob pot and the circuitry from water and dirt. If you are going to extend the knob pot wires and install it in body panel someplace you probably should use a connector to make future work easier.

You could just replace it.

I've had THIS in my favorites list 'MC stuff' folder for a long time.

It's not sealed, but then neither is my heat-troller's perma-mount board. It's mounted through a hole in the left side panel. No issues yet. I think you'd be fine with a rubber washer/o-ring to seal it on the topside.