Mounting video camera on FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afterburn

Modding Mechanic
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a video camera mounted on their FJR? I thinking about getting a camera so I can shoot the passes on my upcoming trip to the Alps, but I don't know how and where to mount it. I have seen these tank mounts, but I am afraid they might get blocked by my GPS sitting between the bars.

Anyone have any ideas how to shoot video from the FJR?

Reward is some very kewl shooting of some of the most spectacular twistie roads the Alps have to offer when I get back.

Does anyone here have a video camera mounted on their FJR? I thinking about getting a camera so I can shoot the passes on my upcoming trip to the Alps, but I don't know how and where to mount it. I have seen these tank mounts, but I am afraid they might get blocked by my GPS sitting between the bars.

Reward is some very kewl shooting of some of the most spectacular twistie roads the Alps have to offer when I get back.

When I used my Sony HDV-HC1 on my rides, I had used a heavy duty tripod head (not the ball type) on my empty left mirror socket. There is a black plastic cap that you can lift with your fingernail, next to the clutch res, that you can bolt your choice of bracket and mount your tripod head. Unfortunately because my camera was over 10" in length, the windshield was hitting the wide angle lens. But this position is good because it is behind he windshield, stable, and also keeps the wind from blowing out your mic.

This might work out for you:
"...Coming in at a dry weight of 7oz. the Helmet Camera is the smallest and lightest powersports camera on the market. The camera mounts on your helmet and runs off of a single 9 volt battery..."

twenty20_helmet_310x310.jpg

Don't know about the quality of the video but it looks interesting...

Link to Cyclegear

Last edited by a moderator:
There are numerous mounts available for your video camera, brackets, ball mounts and the like. If you pull a search, I'm sure you will find several pictures of these mounts. This topic has been covered previously

I have used the Helmet Cam from Helmet Cam .com for recording footage during the Enduro's that I run.

The helmet cam will not have quite as good resolution as some of the better video cameras but you can't beat its versatility. It can be mounted anywhere on the bike or your helmet and is waterproof.

The only inconvience is that the Helmet cam must be connected to a video camera that will record from an external source. Check out Helmet Cam.com, they have plenty of accesories as well.

This Helmet Cam is very dependable and strong, I have knocked it off my helmet several times and it just keeps on working.

The video camera could be stored in your tank bag and then you could mount the camera anywhere.

Mark

Someone ring?

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

I also have a bullet cam set-up that I'll strap to the Moko or rear rack. I don't have piccies of that, tho.

I use a Sony 480 bullet camera and an Archos 420 HD recorder. The camera can be Velcroed in various positions on the bike or on your helmet.

Video

Stef

That looks pretty ideal TWN. Except for my GPS is mouted in that place. :)

I am thinking where your sirius thingie is could be an option, though a camera is a bit big for that location.

The sportsbikecam tank mount may be an option afterall, since they have a riser for the FJR and my GPS isn't higher than the dash. So if the camera looks over the dash, it also looks over the GPS.

A bullit cam is definately on the list of things to get, however I do not have the money right now to and buy a cam, and buy a bullitcam to go with it. However, I am looking at a decent priced cam that has av-in, so I can add a bullit cam later when finances are ready for it.