MS Surface Go as a rallying companion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I am debating on whether or not this could work as a routing tool.  I have no experience with it and know of no one who has one. 

First question.  The only port it has is a USB-C.  Its fast, however as I understand it, it could cause problems hooking up to something (like a GPS).  I know I'd need to use an adapter, but would that power it down enough to be safe. 

Next question.  Is it easy enough to still download non-Microsoft programs like Base Camp?  I understand one of the first things I'd need to do is convert the Windows 10-s that it comes with to standard Windows 10.  That sounds easy enough.  Or is it?

Another thing I will need to do with is to be able to screencast to a TV.  I've got a separate dongle for the TV so that part of the equation is dealt with.  Works well with my phone.  Pretty cool actually.  However its imperative that this Surface Go is capable of doing it as well.  With only a 10" screen, I'd go nuts trying to developer a route on only that. 

So any input, voices of experience would be greatly appreciated. 

I have relatively new phone and tablet, both of which are USB-C ports only.  Communicating with a windows machine, so far both to 2 different laptops, is no different than any other USB type.  Charging is significantly faster if the correct adapter/cable is used.  I even downloaded the Fire Fox app then copied all my saved bookmarks and passwords to both the tablet and the phone via cable connection to my laptop.  Trust me, if I can do it anyone can!

My tablet is Android OS so I can't use Base Camp.  I tried.  But using other apps is east peasy.  I think I'll go with Kurviger, I hear it works well on phones so it should be ok on my tablet and be faster/simpler than making a route on the gps device itself.  I haven't tried yet but a good thread is here -> https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=610.  After that I'll try figuring out how to Bluetooth routes instead of plugging in.  Maybe someday I'll be smart enough!  I've been wondering about a USB-C to USB-B adapter to connect the gps directly to the tablet or phone, too. 

Hope this helps.  Can't help with the tv, sorry. 

Thanks for the input rbentnail.  Loading a route via bluetooth huh?  I'll have to look into that as well.

Should I decide to go with this Surface Go, I'll post my findings here and whether or not it's beneficial to have on a ride.

Yeah, I have a Garmin 595.  It has a Share folder where you can pick a route and theoretically share it via Bluetooth.  But no one knows how it's done.  Yet.