Msf Erc

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawinter

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Suprisingly I'm not even angry at the Idiot. Damn Glad I won't be replacing my Silver FJR for one of those Blue one's (although a red one would be nice)

I was riding along enjoying life when this Idiot makes a left hand turn from a side street.

He was watching the traffic to his left and when that cleared he pulled out without even a glance to his right.

I didn't have time to honk or brake.

A quick twist and swerve and a lot of OH F$#Ks and we probably missed by less than a foot.

Any chicken stripe I may have had is gone now.

I only hope he filled his pants when he looked up and saw a large silver motorcycle directly in front of him.

Get rider training folks and practice the skills regularly.

Do not ever get complacent.

They are actively trying to kill us

Larry

After 40+ years of riding, I signed up for the Texas DPS approved Advanced Motorcycle Safety Course to get a break on my FJR insurance. I have been in one minor accident (PTL) in my riding history and that occurred when a buck came running full speed out of some 5-6 foot tall brush that was only about 15 feet to my right as I was traveling about 25 mph. The first I saw of him was when he was already airborne about 5 feet from my Intruder, in a failed attempt to jump over me. Very minor damage to me, the Intruder, or the deer. I did have a beautiful imprint of a deer hoof on my right thigh and another in the middle of my gas tank, not to mention the road rash on my arm and leg.

During the course the instructor (25 years riding experience) told us he had hit a car and broke both arms. On another occasion he was hit by a truck and was hospitalized for weeks with a broken neck. His third story involved him taking a twistie too fast and the result was a broken back and more hospital time. On the fourth he got a bunch of dental work He went on to describe four more lesser accidents in his history for a total of eight. Then he got a little testy when I ask him if maybe he shouldn’t be taking some pointers from me.

I must admit the course did teach me a couple things about handling tight situations and everyone should take it.

I only hope he filled his pants when he looked up and saw a large silver motorcycle directly in front of him.
Too bad that most people don't even care. I truly believe that many people would just run me down if they thought they could get away with it.

-r

Also worth mentioning that silver is one of those non-descript colors that easily disappears into the background. Not bagging on people who like silver bikes, but if you have this color it may be worth farkling to make yourself more visible. This is also true for ALL bikes at night, regardless of color.

I get the fact that cagers are idiots, but it can't hurt to TRY making ourselves more visible. FWIW.

Glad you got clear of that dope without damage!

I just signed up for our advanced class here. $40 bucks, not bad and I think it will be good.

-r

He went on to describe four more lesser accidents in his history for a total of eight.
Man, If I went to a riding course and the instructor had a total of eight motorcycle accidents, I think that I would get up an leave. It would be loke taking instructions on how to operate a piece of equiptment from someone missing half of thier fingers. Not too reassuring.

Tim

Also worth mentioning that silver is one of those non-descript colors that easily disappears into the background
Hmmm, maybe the cops don't even see me. Yeah, that's it. Being invisible does have some advantages. ;) p.s. Glad it was only a near-hit, instead of a direct hit. No harm, no foul.

No harm, no foul.
That's pretty much how I feel about it.

The whole thing took maybe 2 or 3 seconds although it felt like

time slowed way down. I just reacted and didn't really have time to think.

Afterwards I realized I didn't look at the car I looked at the clear path around the car which is what is taught in riding school.

:D Of course my cat like reflexes and superior skill's

saved the day :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like that MSF Instructor has another Hobby. Phyisical Therapy and Hospital Bills. :ph34r:

Ride Safe! TJ

During the course the instructor (25 years riding experience) told us he had hit (big list snipped...)
Wow, that's impressive, but not in a good way. Wonder what he thinks he's gaining, telling his students how bad his collision avoidance skills are?

They are actively trying to kill us
Nah. That implies that they realize we exist... I don't give 'em that much credit.

In the "just plain stupid" drawer, I was out runnign around doing maintenance for all the Portland [Oregon] training sites this afternoon- driving a big honkin' F350 van with Team Oregon logos covering all of both sides- and I swear to $diety, that thing must have a cloaking device under the hood, all the people that tried to hit it. OK, I'm used to that on a bike- but 2.5 tons of red & white van? You'd think their own sense of self-preservation would kick in when they're outclassed...

Glad you took the class, and got something useful out of it!

Have taken the ERC twice and I highly recommend it. The "Ride Like a Pro" video that you see in magazines is excellent as well. Really helps you in low speed manouevers which in turn carries over to high speed one... Maybe this instructor dude need to get some videos and stuff. at least he didn't tell you about the time he "had to lay it down" did he? That KILLS ME!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: