• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

My 2004ABS. Selling either Farkled or De-Farkled

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
The time has come to see what I can get for the old girl.

I have a 15A in my sights and need to either sell my 04 ABS here or trade it in. Looking on Cycletrader, most of these bikes are going for 4500 or a little more. But my has more miles than most of them.

Dealers do not really care if it the Farkles stay or go, they are going to bottom line me anyway. So the consensus is to sell it stripped to them or on here with the Farkles because we appreciate the add ons.

I am planning to take the bike to the dealer and have them give me a price for trade in. Then work from there.

Farkles that are not coming off are (staying on the bike)
AudioVox Cruise
Heated Grips
HID lights
Hyperlight rear brake Flashers
Rick Mayer Seats Front and Rear Leather
Frame Sliders
Couple of Ram Ball Mounts

Some of the Maybe items to be left on the bike are
Delkavic Pipes Carbon Fiber
FZ1 Mirrors
Givi color matched box
Bar Risers Heli
Big Foot from Wynpro for Kickstand
Highway pegs (vibration mounts)

Not going to be left on are the Penske shock
Techmount stem mount for GPS
Anything else that will transfer over to a Gen 3
Also have a Gen 1 V-stream that will sell seperately unless a buyer wants to pay some for it.

There is also other stuff that I have but will look when I get home.

Everything and Anything is Negotiable. 82.5K miles

Valve check and adjustment was done at the last Tech Day in Owasso, Pair System removed, CCT updated, Throttles Synched, Fluids changed. Previously I upgraded Springs in the forks, (Should have gone one more size up, because when pushed really hard, the bike drags the Highway pegs uphill on hairpin rights)

So really, I have a few price options to consider. Yes, my bike fell over in Louisiana, but no real damage done. Side case has been repainted and the slider did its job. It has a few small rock marks.

I need a place to start with the price from the dealer, but would think depending on what equipment stayed, somewhere between 2750 Stripped totally to 3750 with most items left on.

7766BE86-0B6E-482A-9FD4-D4F0F9CF81F3_zpsspuy8vtx.jpg

Pic from early November SFO trip
Other pictures upon request or look through any of the ride reports.

Hey Cav I would de farkle as much as possible. I stripped everything from my 04 and recovered an extra $1000 that I would have lost leaving it all on the bike.

It took 6 months to sell my mint 2004 with 28k on it for $4000. Good luck with sale! BTW thats a handsome tank bag
rolleyes.gif

Winger,

Yeah, thanks for the tank bag. I kinda forgot who I bought it from as I was thinking about listing all the Farkles. It has served me very well over quite a few miles. Only one time was the wind so bad, I thought it may blow off. Crossing South Dakota in a 40MPH crosswind was awful.

Stripping it seems to be the smart move. Especially if trading it in. But folks on here appreciate those things. I will leave it here for a while, but trading her in is a viable option if they come up some.

Will you please PM me details about the shock, stem mount, and vstream?
Thank you!

PM sent

the delkevic pipes will fit gen II right? let me do some research as well. pm sent

i was hoping you would say it doesnt fit so i could save some money lol got your pm. replied

I concur about selling off as much as you can. You didn't give your mileage, unless I just missed it, but my '05 had 100K on it, and enough problems that I actually had to pay a guy to come over and take it away. Still, I removed everything that I could either sell or transfer to my Gen III first. Including a set of Hyper Lights that are now on their fourth motorcycle.

Why not move the Delkevic slip-ons over to the new bike? They look good and fit every year. And if any Gen I pilots anywhere near you still have stock seats after this long, they'd be nuts not to ride over and trade for yours with some extra cash.

Anyway, good luck with your sale, and enjoy the '15.

I concur about selling off as much as you can. You didn't give your mileage, unless I just missed it, but my '05 had 100K on it, and enough problems that I actually had to pay a guy to come over and take it away. Still, I removed everything that I could either sell or transfer to my Gen III first. Including a set of Hyper Lights that are now on their fourth motorcycle.
Why not move the Delkevic slip-ons over to the new bike? They look good and fit every year. And if any Gen I pilots anywhere near you still have stock seats after this long, they'd be nuts not to ride over and trade for yours with some extra cash.

Anyway, good luck with your sale, and enjoy the '15.
For sure would like to do a swap on seats. Hopefully someone will offer that

Also would like to do a Delkevic transfer, but my right side ORIGINAL pipe has a dent in it. If I found a right side, I would make that switch. Or take the hit from the dealer on the dented pipe

My cycle has 82.5K on it and is in great running order. Sometimes makes me wonder why I am actually trading up?

My cycle has 82.5K on it and is in great running order. Sometimes makes me wonder why I am actually trading up?
Ah, you're not the first to think through that question Grasshopper! A few weeks with your new Gen III and answers will appear.
biggrin.png

Good luck with it all Josh.

this summer I bought a used 2013 and transferred as much as I could from my 05. The custom seat went with the bike as well as the gp upgraded forks, also the givi mounting. Everything else went onto my new ride, including the Beowulf exhaust. So the guy that bought it had brand new 13 cans. fwiw, I finally reached a deal for 3900 with 75k on the odo. I thought about keeping it until spring to see if there was more interest, but for 600 less I let it go. Like you, I question my sanity about letting it go.

You have good taste Eric

The tank bag will go with the new bike. I did not use one for at least a year, but once I got this one from Winger, I rarely take it off. Too much stuff to not take with me. I love it. Big enough to take pretty much anything. I have emptied it quick before running to the store and then used just it to bring some groceries home. It expands big too!

Someone needs to start a dialog about buying the bike itself.

Cav, Unfortunately we (almost) all already have one.

We are just waiting for a heck of a deal on your farkles....
rolleyes.gif

What a bunch of vultures we are... GLWS

Possible interest in seat(s) and windshield. Smaller possible interest in top case due to the color match.

Spent the afternoon stripping the bike of all the farkles I will have a seperate thread about them later but feel free to look at the above info.

The dealer is not going to go up much so they are not getting any farkles thrown in for free.

So if anyone wants to make an offer on the bike, let me know pretty soon. It could wind up going to the dealer. Or I might bite the bullet and just wait until the spring and sell it outright.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Price drop to 2500

It still has the Rick Mayer leather seat, audiovox cruise, heated grips, HIDs, Hyper Lights in the rear Regular mirrors PLUS the FZ-1 mirrors. Highway pegs. Sliders and a pig tail for a battery tender. Bag liners are also included. The 357 Givi rack is still in there as well.

I would have no prob riding this bike anywhere. The only reason I am selling is i want a newer one. I can wait til summer to sell this one, but I think I have it priced right. Let me know if I am way off. Thanks.

Cav

Last edited by a moderator: