My personal toxic waist site

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldb

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem:

IMGP1894.jpg

3 vehicles

1 motorcycle

1 riding mower

1 garden tiller

This is about 1 year worth of accumulated oil that I have to drop off at the appropriate waste center. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
My work place has a used oil disposal barrel. It get's picked up every few months. By the way, you can use "waste" oil to fertilize your lawn.

A local-to-me auto parts place, Kragen (Checker, Schuck's), takes waste oil. I have a 2-1/2 gallon Roundup bottle that I use to store mine until it gets full.

But they don't take filters, so I have a box full of those in my garage.

This is about 1 year worth of accumulated oil that I have to drop off at the appropriate waist center. :glare:

New Jersey? :unsure:

Just kidding all you New Jerseyites....

I'm lucky enough to have a recycling facility about 1 mile down the street so I usually don't have alot of spent oil hanging about. I just put it in a 5 gallon container and haul it down there when I get motivated (about once a year).

same in fla... local auto parts stores take used oil...

mandatory recycling accepts plastic oil cans along with milk cartons, ect...

oil filter in trash after it sits upside down on the oil drain pan for several days...

Most towns and cities have collection points for hazmats and recyclables. I have about 7 gals to dump off, plus 7 or 8 filters and a battery. My town has a limited open time when you can use this self-serve facility and it's during weekdays only.

Most towns and cities have collection points for hazmats and recyclables. I have about 7 gals to dump off, plus 7 or 8 filters and a battery. My town has a limited open time when you can use this self-serve facility and it's during weekdays only.
Geez, Tim, with all the fires down there right now coldn't you just find a way to..er...misplace the stuff in the path of the flames?

Check with your local village/township. Many have a "hazardous material" day once or twice a year when they will accept stuff like that. Our village does that and loves to get a big tally of used oil and such to report on when the day is over.

Otherwise, many autoparts and quickie oil change places will take it.

Or just pour it into the gas tank of your beater a quart or two at a time when you fill up and burn it....good "upper end" lube and cheaper than buying marvel mystery oil.......LOL.

Or just pour it into the gas tank of your beater a quart or two at a time when you fill up and burn it....good "upper end" lube and cheaper than buying marvel mystery oil.......LOL.
I remember--back in the day--when we used to pour the remaining "premix" into the gas tanks on our way home from fishing trips. We learned to leave plenty of space between vehicles because it was not so fun if you were #2 or #3 in line heading downhill on steep Sierra secondary roads. :lol:

When I had a boat I mixed the old lube oil in the fuel tanks on a regular basis. Some manufacturers used to publish how much was safe to use. In my case 5% was ok and I usualy dumped 6 gallons of oil into 400-600 gallons of diesel so it was an easyway to dispose of the oil without packing it up the dock.

I have a buddy who has a waste oil buring heater in the hanger of his avionics shop. He burns the old used engine oil for heat in the winter. Also one of the local independent tire stores has a similar heater in their garage. A good solution to my way of thinking.

In my area they have disposal tanks at the local recycle centers. The oil is used to help power the electrical power plants that burn oil to create electricity. I know it's just a drop in the bucket, but if it gets burned, it doesn't get wasted.

I have a buddy who has a waste oil buring heater in the hanger of his avionics shop. He burns the old used engine oil for heat in the winter. Also one of the local independent tire stores has a similar heater in their garage. A good solution to my way of thinking.

We bring ours to the local firestation, where they also have a waste oil burner. Theoretically, it would reduce our taxes since we don't have to pay as much to heat our fire stations in the winter. :unsure: But, I'm not so naive to believe that... :blink:

ding ding, we have a weiner. You are the recipient of a well sought after club sticker. It says "DUMB". Farkle up the fudger, keith richards....we're having a party tonight.

I'm not seeing any 20W-40 Yamalube in that collection. I'm tellin'.

In Maryland, businesses that sell oil and oil-change services must accept recycled oil. Compliance with the law is not 100%, though. For example the local BP used to accept used oil but discontinued the program. Each of the local auto parts stores will take it. The local Wally World will take it, too.

I've started to like that last option - as long as you're going to slime yourself with motor oil, you may as well go whole hog and slime yourself with Wally World at the same time.

I'm not seeing any 20W-40 Yamalube in that collection. I'm tellin'.
In Maryland, businesses that sell oil and oil-change services must accept recycled oil. Compliance with the law is not 100%, though. For example the local BP used to accept used oil but discontinued the program. Each of the local auto parts stores will take it. The local Wally World will take it, too.

I've started to like that last option - as long as you're going to slime yourself with motor oil, you may as well go whole hog and slime yourself with Wally World at the same time.
Yup,

thats how it is in mass too. All stores that sell oil have to take the used stuff back.