Need to paint 2013 FJR A bag lids - Recommendations for Dallas or North Texas painters?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdclaiborne

2013 Yamaha FJR1300A, 1999 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get my new to me 2013 bag lids painted. Now that Garauld has retired, I'm looking for recommendations preferably in the Dallas or north Texas area. I'm north of Dallas in the Town of Prosper. If I can;t find anyone locally, I would ship lids if there is someone good that comes highly recommended. I know this 2013 color is hard to match, Colorite hit or miss, etc. I've always used English Color and Supply to start with their scanner, then mix as close as possible. Recommendations appreciated. I'm currently playing with coating with PlastiDip, but I do not want to consider truck bed liner at this time. Thanks.

I need to get my new to me 2013 bag lids painted. Now that Garauld has retired, I'm looking for recommendations preferably in the Dallas or north Texas area. I'm north of Dallas in the Town of Prosper. If I can;t find anyone locally, I would ship lids if there is someone good that comes highly recommended. I know this 2013 color is hard to match, Colorite hit or miss, etc. I've always used English Color and Supply to start with their scanner, then mix as close as possible. Recommendations appreciated. I'm currently playing with coating with PlastiDip, but I do not want to consider truck bed liner at this time. Thanks.
Doesn't answer your question, but many auto painters can do an excellent job. As you say, a perfect color match is the biggest problem. (You might save some of the cost if you do the surface prep and get the shop to shoot the color and clear.)

An alternative is to choose a contrasting color and use that. Might even want to try a vinyl wrap and do it all yourself... pretty easy and the side cases should not be terribly difficult.
Good luck.

As you stated. local paint stores have the scanner and from my experience, is the best option. Each time I've used the place near me, they have been spot on. I tried the Colorite folks twice, for 2 different bikes, and neither time was the color even close. Lesson learned and moved on.

Doesn't answer your question, but many auto painters can do an excellent job. As you say, a perfect color match is the biggest problem. (You might save some of the cost if you do the surface prep and get the shop to shoot the color and clear.)

An alternative is to choose a contrasting color and use that. Might even want to try a vinyl wrap and do it all yourself... pretty easy and the side cases should not be terribly difficult.
Good luck.
Thanks, I have and may consider the carbon fiber wrap route as I play around with this. So far, $8 can of black PlastiDip + $1 worth of blue masking tape is looking good for a temporary solution until I find a painter and get a good OEM color match.

As you stated. local paint stores have the scanner and from my experience, is the best option. Each time I've used the place near me, they have been spot on. I tried the Colorite folks twice, for 2 different bikes, and neither time was the color even close. Lesson learned and moved on.
Yes, didn't seem like Colorite was a viable option from what I've read, especially for this 2013 Silver. Thanks

For any future prospective readers of this thread. I temporarily painted the outer most section of the bag lid with black matte PlastiDip based on another FJR pic paint scheme. It looks pretty good for an easy low cost solution that can be easily peeled off. Second, I found a highly recommended painter near Denton, Texas that does motorcycle plastic (both welding and paint). Check out https://www.mikezoulekscustoms.com.

Attachments

• IMG_3971.JPG
    IMG_3971.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Ross, I'm good with a rattle can, but it was my first use of PlastiDip. Very interesting stuff. Hard to screw up. With several coats is very even and can be fairly easily peeled off. I have bag lids off and will take to have painted to get back to factory look in a few days.

Your cases look nice!

For a two week cross country trip, I used PlastiDip on the tops of the side cases and back of tank to protect from scuffing and paint abrasion. Sprayed it on and used black electrician tape to bind down the edges after the masking tape was removed. Worked like a charm and easily peeled off after the trip was over.

Your cases look nice!

For a two week cross country trip, I used PlastiDip on the tops of the side cases and back of tank to protect from scuffing and paint abrasion. Sprayed it on and used black electrician tape to bind down the edges after the masking tape was removed. Worked like a charm and easily peeled off after the trip was over.
Good idea, it would be good for that temporary protection. As you mention, the only challenge is clean edge lines when pulling tape off. I tried what they recommend and pulled tape right after last coat and it was a little better, but not perfect.