Negotiating with auto dealers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a little negotiating, . . . See there is the problem, negotiating. You have all the info, you tell the dealer here is the deal, cost plus a fair markup (you decide how much is "fair markup") take it or you walk, period. NO talk with the financial manager, no dealing, no negotiating, no 'I have to run this by my boss'. Take the deal or you walk. If they start with some line, call them on it stick to ]your deal. If the salesman walks away, you tell him he looses the deal and you walk out the door. And then you do it. Just leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with this method is the same with a drop bid at a motor auction. More times than not the dealer with the product you want won't even play ball with you. I know I won't! My method that works out best for me has always been not dealing with a sale consultant at all and just going directly to the decision maker him/herself. Cut out the middle man all together and you cut out the hassle of not only the manager trying to make a buck but also the consultant as well. I find out who the sales managers are before I walk into the dealership by calling the main line of the store and asking for a "sales manager" in whatever department you are wanting to deal in, usually the receptionist with ramble off a name or two and you go with the first one on the list. Hang up and walk into the dealership and ask for that person by name. Be honest with him, because he will see right through any BS that you may throw and don't let him hand you off to a sales person. Works like a charm every time! I have never paid more than 15% over invoice for a vehicle when I used this method. Sales managers are generally not people persons and will want to give you what you want so that they can go back up in the tower and "manage" some more. This is the one thing, more than any other that I have striven to not do in my dealership. I meet with everyone who walks through my doors, buyer or not, just so that I can get a feel for the people that are shopping in my dealership.