New FJR Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianm73

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
After not owning a bike for about 5 years, today I bought a 2004 FJR. My bike prior was a 2007 FZ1, so yes I like Yamahas!!
I am looking forward to learning from all you experienced FJR owners and hope that this will help me with an older bike.

Non-ABS with 41,000 miles
Missing the hard bags, but looks and runs great.
Love the paint!
Lack of ABS in an '04 isn't necessarily a bad thing. If not well maintained, quite a few failures were reported in early ABS models.
(Believed to be due to failing to change hydraulic fluid often enough and not activating the ABS (through riding or using a jumper) to prevent stagnant/contaminated fluid within the ABS unit.)

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
After not owning a bike for about 5 years, today I bought a 2004 FJR. My bike prior was a 2007 FZ1, so yes I like Yamahas!!
I am looking forward to learning from all you experienced FJR owners and hope that this will help me with an older bike.
Did you get an Ohio antique vehicle license plate? 🧐

Welcome to the FJR community. Without these forums my 2004 would not be running. I am surprised no one has mentioned the cam chain tensioner. It is in your best interest to read up on these. My 04 had the original cam chain tensioner and after I replaced it my bike was much quieter.

Hello everyone!
Welcome from sunny Arizona

Brian, Just get a trunk. I never ride with my bags around town (and we can't lane split).

It'll be just like a heavy FZ1 that rarely need gas!

If not well maintained, quite a few failures were reported in early ABS models.
(Believed to be due to failing to change hydraulic fluid often enough and not activating the ABS (through riding or using a jumper) to prevent stagnant/contaminated fluid within the ABS unit.)

I used to buy into that theory. Not so much anymore. About two years ago I acquired an '04 ABS FJR that had 2,900 miles on it. It had sat for at least 12 years. Fuel tank was rusted and fuel pump inop. Hydraulic fluids were NASTY. Still, ABS pump fully functional....... I've ridden many other a Gen I abs FJR. Sometimes the abs works. Sometimes, not. Sometimes it's just been the rear that didn't work. All kinds of miles and maintenance histories. I think it has more to do with luck of the draw.

I have mixed feelings on the Gen-I abs system anyways. It's not all that sophisticated - not near as good as 08+ FJRs, and in a panic situation can be terrifying as to the lack of braking happening as the system slowly cycles between lock and release. Don't ask me how I know......

As for the OP, congrats! I would recommend getting some tip-over protection. Looks like your FJR's repaint might have been due to needing tip-over repairs based on the condition of the stator cover.

Scooter, I agree. It would be good to hear from others regarding the ABS on the Gen 1, but for me (though I’ve appreciated the ABS on other bikes), I never cared for it on the Gen 1‘s where as newer FJR’s seem to function just fine.

Congrats and welcome to the club! As a former FZ1 lover (had 2) I think you'll like the FJR even more - I do! Loved everything about the FZ1 except the lack of low end. The result is that the FJR, heavy as it is has pretty much the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but much more enjoyable on the street. Just be careful getting back into the swing of things - I hate riding at first after a lay off. I feel like I know what I'm doing, but I know that the rust is real. Takes a while to get reflexes and muscle memory working right again, and I feel pretty vulnerable for a while, But maybe that's just me and YMMV?

Welcome to the club, from Western Mass. I agree with MVF, it takes me a few rides to shake the rust off. But keep in mind... it comes back like; "riding a bike"!

😇