• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NEW Garmin Zumo 660LM Motorcycle GPS Navigator w/ Lifetime Maps $380

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, a Zumo that persuaded me to drag out my debit card.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Bramfrank will be along shortly, was there only one? Some folks luvem or hate'em.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the smartphones out there, I'm surprised there's still a market for standalone GPS units.

With all the smartphones out there, I'm surprised there's still a market for standalone GPS units.
It depends on the type of riding you do. Most of my riding companions run two of these units (or similar) at the same time. Phones don't cut it except as a back-up. For some, however, they make a good choice.

Great buy! I won't leave home without mine. I use just about every feature it has, especially like that it shows what the current speed limit is. Of course there are days that I still wish I had the 550 but overall this ones better.

Somebody official would come along soon anyway to say the same thing, but as a reminder to newer members, we don't shit on anybody's for sale items in this section. Feel free not to purchase anything you see here.

Hmmmm wondering if they are discounting these with the announcement of the new TomTom Rider up and coming....

I'm holding out to see how that pans out, I'm sure that the 660's will continue run at this new pricing rate with the 590 out.... pretty confident that they won't be raising the price on an older model unit... JMO

Hmmmm wondering if they are discounting these with the announcement of the new TomTom Rider up and coming....
I'm holding out to see how that pans out, I'm sure that the 660's will continue run at this new pricing rate with the 590 out.... pretty confident that they won't be raising the price on an older model unit... JMO
More than likely, there is a new Zumo on the near horizon. The 660 has been an orphan since the 390LM came out. The 665 has not quite given in to the 590 due to the XM radio option. I'm sure the 660 will be discontinued this year and it's surprising it has taken this long. There have been sales on Amazon for quite a while that undercut the discontinued 550 prices which held at $350 until the Zumo 660 started undercutting that price-point for NEW units.

Rest assured, any new Zumo will not approach these great price points, but I think the Zumo 590 will fall back to the original $799 retail price point. I kind of expect the 665 will see a flagship successor soon as well.

The 660 "clearance" is a great price, and I think this is a price that will hold up enough that you will be able to resell at no loss if you decide to upgrade in the next couple of years.

It depends on the type of riding you do. Most of my riding companions run two of these units (or similar) at the same time. Phones don't cut it except as a back-up. For some, however, they make a good choice.
Definitely not slamming anyone who chooses to equip their bike with a standalone unit. I re-read my post and can see how it might have come off a little snarky.

I use to buy a new Garmin GPS every few years up until my smart phone did the job better. The only other advantage I see to using a standalone is that the Zumo's are weather proof. I'm only a fair weather rider, so another plus for using the smartphone.

I have the Garmin app installed on my iPhone, but I prefer using google maps for my navigating. The Garmin app is a good backup for when I don't have any cell service however.

Definitely not slamming anyone who chooses to equip their bike with a standalone unit. I re-read my post and can see how it might have come off a little snarky.

I use to buy a new Garmin GPS every few years up until my smart phone did the job better. The only other advantage I see to using a standalone is that the Zumo's are weather proof. I'm only a fair weather rider, so another plus for using the smartphone.

I have the Garmin app installed on my iPhone, but I prefer using google maps for my navigating. The Garmin app is a good backup for when I don't have any cell service however.
The main advantage is when you are routing complex situations, and then needing to carefully track your progress.

Phones can't do that, and I didn't think you sounded snarky :D

I've always wanted a GPS unit for the bike but don't know too much about them. Does this wire directly from the battery or do I need to tap in someplace? AND What does this not have that is really nice to have on GPS unit?

I've always wanted a GPS unit for the bike but don't know too much about them. Does this wire directly from the battery or do I need to tap in someplace? AND What does this not have that is really nice to have on GPS unit?
Until recently this was Garmin's flagship motorcycle unit. It pretty much has everything. LD Riders have complained that the software is dumbed down from the older StreetPilot range, and that is correct. It limits your ability to display various types of information we were used to. There were earlier complaints about reliability and the routing algorithm. Those seem largely to have been fixed.

It doesn't have XM Radio or Nexrad Weather. If they are important you will have to spend more ... a lot more.

This unit generally retails at around $600. The $380 price is cheaper than most secondhand examples. It's still a lot.

Zorloc you just cost me $380.00 but I thank you cause I have had one in my amazon cart for weeks at $433. You saved me over $50.00!

Damn, I'm going to be stretching my mind trying to figure out my new Sena SMH10 and Garmin 660 and making them talk to each other.