New, in headlight, parking/running/euro lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like the light update?

• Yes

Votes: 46 95.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
Gotta give you big ups. I'm going through a spell of "only easy farkles." Don't have enough bad words saved up, or warm enough garage temps to dig into something like this.

Hi

I may be a bit off centre here on this thread, as I’m UK based with a European FJR; but this is a “light” type query

I also own an ex-US MGB, which came with the US side lamps red & amber, and these I like, you can’t have too many lights, and they are street legal here

But I note from pictures of US FJR’s that they appear to also have a red lens on each side of the panniers.

Question is are these merely reflectors or are they wired lamps; and if the later where do they connect to the loom. If so I need to fit a pair

Any advice appreciated

As a comment on this thread, as said my bike is UK spec and although it comes with riding lights, one of the best things I ever did was to upgrade them to LED. Mega bright, but as said elsewhere in this thread just a bas***rd of a job to do!

All the very best to one and all, and stay upright!
fool.gif

HiI may be a bit off centre here on this thread, as I’m UK based with a European FJR; but this is a “light” type query

I also own an ex-US MGB, which came with the US side lamps red & amber, and these I like, you can’t have too many lights, and they are street legal here

But I note from pictures of US FJR’s that they appear to also have a red lens on each side of the panniers.

Question is are these merely reflectors or are they wired lamps; and if the later where do they connect to the loom. If so I need to fit a pair

Any advice appreciated
No lights on the side-cases, just reflectors. Believe it's a U.S. DOT reg. Funny though as several look to remove these believing the bike looks better without.

HiI may be a bit off centre here on this thread, as I’m UK based with a European FJR; but this is a “light” type query

Any advice appreciated
No lights on the side-cases, just reflectors. Believe it's a U.S. DOT reg. Funny though as several look to remove these believing the bike looks better without.
Yes, they are mandated reflectors.

Yes, people do remove them. Some replace them with LEDs.

No, I've never heard of a citation for not having them in place, but give them an excuse at your peril :)

Those are reflectors on the side cases and might be mandated by DOT for vehicle import, but are not a listed requirement anywhere I have ever seen by any state statute; meaning no one would ever be cited for not having them in place. If you think about it, there are not replacements for them if one rides the bike sans-cases. I would bet Yamaha just did it for liability or whatever.

I removed mine. IF they add to visibility, I would be very surprised. There's no way someone is going to miss an entire bike and suddenly realize that tiny reflector is attached to something. They add no safety value, and my bike looks better without them.

Last edited by a moderator:
'morning (well it is here!)

Thanks for the info; reflectors, no wouldn’t bother

The reason I asked as I said my MG has side mounted lights and they work well (and I think look good on that car)

But also an American friend of mine on the local base has a Honda with Givi Monokey Boxes and he has had the rear corner reflectors converted to riding lights (don’t know if also stop lights, but quite probably) and he is taking this back to the Texas on posting.

It was just an idea, and many thanks for the responses

All the very best

Very nice, this is something I have been contemplating for the past 5 years, but have not got around to researching or doing. Thanks for the tips and information. It might inspire me to set aside sometime in the near future.