New Motobatt on the way

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

900gc

Reaction score
The original Yuasa could no longer crank her over fast enough for sub 40 deg. starts (and it only lasted about 20 sec. 'till about out of juice). Still started OK in warmer temps but since I ride down to around 30 deg. and my bike sits outside overnight at work, don't want to get stranded 25 miles from home. Can't complain for getting 7 yrs. from a battery though. If I only rode in milder temps I might have gotten another season out of it.

My carbureted Suzuki DR650 on the other hand starts in about 2 turns even when cranking slow in the cold. I guess fuel injection needs enough juice.

Considered another Yuasa and a Westco but since Motobatt also gets good reviews and the $85 w/free shipping on Amazon looked good, pretty much flipped a coin. Hopefully it will last as long as the Yuasa.

Considered another Yuasa and a Westco but since Motobatt also gets good reviews and the $85 w/free shipping on Amazon looked good, pretty much flipped a coin. Hopefully it will last as long as the Yuasa.
I have never had a Yuasa or any other replacement battery last as long as the OEM Yuasa but don't know why......have others had the same experience?

I have never had a Yuasa or any other replacement battery last as long as the OEM Yuasa but don't know why......have others had the same experience?
Some say the replacement Yuasa is made locally from (allegedly) inferior materials. Can't comment from personal experience, though.

I've had the best luck with replacement batteries for my '04 FJR with the A/C Delco ( https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ATX14BBS-Specialty-Powersports-Battery/dp/B00BFLVXOA/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445700116&vehicle=2004-1210-17593-20-----14303------3-0&sr=1-7&ymm=2004%3Ayamaha%3Afjr1300&keywords=motorcycle+battery ). The original lasted about 4 years, then two Westco's that just weren't too good, and found the Delco on this forum (and haven't looked back, yet).

p.s. You've got to add the acid, seal the ports (and I gave it a charge prior to install) but has just done right (by me).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the best luck with replacement batteries for my '04 FJR with the A/C Delco ( https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ATX14BBS-Specialty-Powersports-Battery/dp/B00BFLVXOA/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1445700116&vehicle=2004-1210-17593-20-----14303------3-0&sr=1-7&ymm=2004%3Ayamaha%3Afjr1300&keywords=motorcycle+battery ). The original lasted about 4 years, then two Westco's that just weren't too good, and found the Delco on this forum (and haven't looked back, yet).
p.s. You've got to add the acid, seal the ports (and I gave it a charge prior to install) but has just done right (by me).
How has the Delco performed so far? I bought one before I posted the link for the sale on those Delco batteries and have yet to install mine. The original Yuasa is showing its age, reduced cranking speed when starting and longer cranking time so I think this is the week to prep the Delco and install it over the weekend. Weather is rain pretty much all week so it looks like a good time to do this.

How has the Delco performed so far? I bought one before I posted the link for the sale on those Delco batteries and have yet to install mine. The original Yuasa is showing its age, reduced cranking speed when starting and longer cranking time so I think this is the week to prep the Delco and install it over the weekend. Weather is rain pretty much all week so it looks like a good time to do this.
Mine has been in-service since May'13. So far it has been the equal to the original battery and better than the two Westco's I replaced the original with. Good starting performance, and so far, no slow cranking when hot (in summer) after a gas stop, which seemed to happen a lot with the Westco's.

Motobatt arrived, installed but one issue I had; since Motobatt has detached terminals that you install based on side or top attachment of the cables, I discovered that one of them was a smaller 5mm size and the other the correct 6mm size. Having the right tools on hand (including 6mm tap) I made the 5mm one fit and installed. I emailed Motobatt to inform them of their poor QC and they offered to send out two more 6mm ones but I told them that I already fixed it. These simple things that mfg's. get wrong drive me nuts!
angry02.gif

Anyhoo, though the resting voltage of the new one and the old one are both 12.83 V, it turns the bike over sooo much stronger than the old Yuasa.

Good luck with the MOTOBATT ,I too purchased one from Amaazon and installed. The battery started giving me issues with slow cranking. I contacted them since it was under warranty. I did all the tests requested and submitted the results, they denied my claim. The battery was leaking from the negative terminal prior to my seaking warranty and mentioned this to them also.

I got a replacement from my local BATTERIES PLUS and so far working good.

Westco from BikeEffects was great for me....

Replaced my 05 battery 2 times with the Westco..... didn't get those long lives out of the factory or the westcos but here in wisconsin its pretty much a given with the cold weather temps in the late fall and early spring, they just don't last as long in our states..... Got about 4 years from both battery's - last one is still on the 05 and working fine....

2nd Westco gave me problems after a year, and BikeEffects shipped out a new one no questions asked - they had a bad run. Couldn't ask for better customer service from Bike Effects - He is a forum sponsor and I will not hesitate to continue supporting him the way he supports us here on the forum.....

For what the FJR costs me in service LOL, I certainly can't bitch about the cost for a freakin battery every few years.... !!!!

I think people tend to forget how spoiled we are owning the FJR..... very little cost involved....

All about Perspective I guess...

Last edited by a moderator: