New music project beginning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git-r-dan

one of those musician types
Reaction score
It's been a while since my last post and doing OK and FWIW, as the FJR was my first bike, just went passed 16k. Not bad for one year's driving.

I am posting this for anyone's input for songs to learn. This project is for doing happy hour gigs as a single on Fri. and Sat. evenings and some Sunday afternoons. My situation is this: Four keyboards w/ a 200 watt Leslie behind me and full PA gear using the computer to pre-midi / sequence all bass, drum, guitar & keyboard parts. This work will actually free me up to play all of the keyboards as the midi audio tracks are playing simultaneously. These nostalgia keyboard songs are not going to be the standard songs you hear at happy hour. Just want to do songs that will challenge me musically and be entertaining. Also, there will be NO singing on my part just strickly instrumental. I will be having some friends come over to lay down the guitar parts as this develops. Should be fun. The list so far consist of:

Outa-Space-Billy Preston, Green Onions-Booker T, Green-Eyed Lady, Fly Like an Eagle-Steve Miller, Magic Carpet Ride, Born to be Wild, Gimme Some Lovin, Soul Sacrifice (Santana), Oye Como Va, Evil Ways, Whiter Shade of Pale, Riders on the Storm, Light My Fire, Smoke on the Water, Highway Star, Hush (Deep Purple), Jessica (Allman Brothers), Dirty Laundry - Don Henley, some Crusaders tunes, one Jimmy Smith shuffle, Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix (don't know how that's going to work yet), and a few more. Could use some more suggestions but they have to have keyboard solos that are recognizeable. The last month has been a fight with computer software issues which are now pretty much resolved. Haven't even had time to check out the reports of WFO which was probably a hoot and a half. Will be checking back in periodically to see if this prompts any suggestions which will be much appreciated.

:beach: gitterdan

Boston-Foreplay/Longtime.
I was talking to a friend on the phone today and he mentioned that he heard this song by Rush that had heavy keyboards and thought of my project (didn't get the name of it). I told him that I wanted to find something from Boston. So, thanks for the heads up on that one. He's going to try and find the name of the Rush tune.

Early Elton John, Queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Badcat. That's a keeper. I went through the Rush songs and figured it has to be "Tom Sawyer".

Um, yeah............subdivisions really had the most keys in it. Most fans don't like it because they said there were too little guitars in the mix when really it's full of guitars and some of the best solos alex played. Oh, it is my fave rush album too, so I'm biased.

Subdivisions has been added as the song kicks butt (definitely remember it). Keyboards are good and easy enough to chart, song has a ton of time changes from 4/4 to 7/4 and very entailed drum parts. I've know of one local friend that could knock the drum parts out. Another challenge for sure. Thanks. As for the guitar work, great stuff. It must of been sometime shortly after this album that sound men started deciding that keyboards should be way back in the mix and guitars, bass and drums were the dominant. That's another subject. Tropical storm is landing tomorrow so I'll have some time to work some if the electricity stays on.

Ridin' the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon. They had other tunes that would work as well.

Bob Seger also comes to mind, Against the Wind has some good keyboard stuff. Turn the Page would be another Seger song.

Ridin' the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon. They had other tunes that would work as well.
Bob Seger also comes to mind, Against the Wind has some good keyboard stuff. Turn the Page would be another Seger song.
Ridin' the Storm Out - great song - piano is chording through the song but no keyboard solo (that one's a no-go). Against the Wind does have some good keys in it and everyone knows it so that's a good addition. Will give "Turn the Page" a listen. Thanks WJ.

There's a nice piano solo on riviera paradise....srv. Good luck with the gtr parts, though.

Karn Evil #9 (second movement) "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends...."; Roundabout by Yes; Freebird by Lynyrd Skynrd; In Memory of Elizabeth Reed by the ABB; Ashokan Farewell in the version done by Chuck Leavell (theme to the Ken Burns "Civil War" series); Take Five by Dave Brubeck; any of the Six Wives from Rick Wakeman.

Roll with the changes :good:

I should have put a disclaimer on the front end because, as I'm also a fan of Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson and Dave Brubeck, it would take more time than I have to recreate entailed solos as those. I did played Brubeck's "Take Five" (5/4) and "Blue Rhondo a la Turk" (9/8 - 2+2+2+3 & 4/4) back in the 70's and could probably try them but it would be some huge time spent. I will definately listen to Elizabeth Reed because I'm a big ABB fan. As far as the Ashokan Farewell in the version ..., great song but looking at songs more towards rock, funk and soul genre. Thanks!

Now, what was that Bruce Hornsby song that was so popular a while back? Ah, found it ... "The Way it is". Cool!

Bumpage. Kudos to Pat (pending) on the forum for sending the mp3 of Lee Michael's version of Stormy Monday w/ B3, bass and drums. A keeper.

If you guys/gals hear something down the road that will make you think of this thread, just shoot me a PM or email. Thanks, Dan

Al Stewart "Year of the Cat"

Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street"

Bruce Springsteen "Thunder Road" (there's a great live one of Bruce playing it on piano on the Live box set)

Chicago "25 or 6 to 4" "Lowdown"

Grand Funk Railroad "I'm Your Captain"

Little Feat "Dixie Chicken" "Oh Atlanta" "Two Trains Running"

Canned Heat "On the Road Again"

John Mayall "Room to Move"

J. Geils Band "Houseparty"

Rolling Stones "Tumbling Dice" "Bitch"

Neil Diamond "Shilo" "Sweet Caroline" "Done Too Soon"

Guess Who "Chest Fever"

Original Cast "Jesus Christ Superstar"

Levon Helm (and a bunch of others) "Ain't That a Lotta Love"

The Band's version of "Don't Do It"