New (to me) 2014 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdcowboy

Reaction score
I'm going to be picking up a new (to me) 2014 FJR in a week.  I am coming from big Harley's.  What do I need to know about operating it?  My Harley redlines at about 5500 rpm but the FJR's is something like 9500. Do you run it up to redline (not every shift of course, but sometimes for fun)?  What tips do I need to know about it?

Thanks. 

You don't have to let it rev to the redline - but it can be exciting!  Unlike large displacement v-twins, the FJR is really just waking up at 5000 RPM.

If you haven't had experience riding a reasonably high performance motorcycle, take some care but the FJR is pretty well mannered.  If you are an experienced rider, it won't tke much time to get used to it.  The upright seating position with your feet directly below you might be the hardest thing to get used to.  Initial comfort will be less but you will find you can ride much greater distances without lower back and shoulder issues. 

I like the red 2014.  Did you get the ES (Electronically Adjustable Suspension) or the "A" model?

If it has a stock seat, you may be looking for an upgrade sooner rather than later (Russell and Laam are the preferred custom seats.).  I am possibly the exception and do a lot of riding on a stock seat.  Same with windshield - some of the aftermarket ones offer better protection from the elements.

Good luck with it - people around here are always happy to help you spend your money on farkles and to advise on maintenance etc.  Don't start a thread on oil or tires - unless it is really something new.  Lots of good information in the NEPRT section!!

That bike is barely broken in with 16,000 miles.  Almost a sin for a 6.5 year old bike! 

Congrats on the new (to you) '14! You're in for a different experience verses cruisers. Echoing RK, take some time to get used to the bike and then set it up to suit you. Lots of great information here so take your time and search away.

Enjoy and give it time...you won't be disappointed.

~G

Try riding it in Touring mode for a while.  Get used to the body position, foot position, wind flow, weight shifting, speed shifting...

then on a wide open straight road, switch it to Sport mode and wick it up.  Hold on and aim high in vision 'cause you'll get there in a hurry!

The only thing I would add is the new term you will need to come to terms with, "handling". One comment I have heard perhaps more often than any is "Wow, I don't have to slow down in the corners!!"

Thanks for the advice. I rented a KZ900 over the weekend. That sucker was fast. I think it redlined at 11K and I never got over 7500 because I would be going too fast in second gear. Not to bad at 100 mph either. I expect the FJR to be much more comfortable than the KZ900. Harleys are a lot heavier than FJR's so I look forward to it. I'm keeping the Harley and it is red, too. Red also gets seen by cars easier than grey, which helps in SoCal traffic.

Harleys are a lot heavier than FJR's
Yes, but the FJR is more top-heavy than the Harley, very easy to drop if you don't take care, especially when coming to a stop. Make sure the steering is straight ahead as you come to rest, you won't have a problem.

Once moving, no problem at all, very good manners anything above 2 mph.

Well, what a great choice. Awesome. I'm interested in hearing what swayed you in favor of the FJR over the C14.

Are you going to let the Concours folk know?

Every once in awhile I bounce off the rev limiter but I try to avoid doing so. The power is starting to roll off when you get above 8k so I don't see the need to continue on to redline. There's a lot of very usable power starting @ 3k especially in the first 3 gears. 

Feejerbkb,

Frankly, the choice came down to which was the best buy.  I did not want to have to ship the bike as I'd rather pay a little extra to get it local.  The FJR was a good  deal although I was about to pull the trigger on a C-14.  I had the chance to sit on new versions of both bikes in a local store.  I liked them both.  I do think I liked sitting on the FJR better.  It was definitely lighter, easier to get off the kickstand and easier to put my feet on the ground.  I also liked how it felt when I sat on it, although I did not mind sitting on the C-14.  Cruise control is nice but it was not a deciding factor.  

It’s going to be a lot more reliable and much easier to service than what you’re used to. I really enjoyed my 2014. 

I just bought a 2014 FJR with 16K miles. Picked it up in Colorado Springs and rode it home to LA. I am coming off a long history of riding big Harley touring bike. Still love Harleys, but wanted something different. In 2016, my wife said she wouldn't ride with me any more unless I bought a Tri-Glide, so I did, hoping she would ride a lot with me. Nope! I actually like the Tri-Glide, it corners like a skate board and is much faster around the corners than one might think. But, I prefer not to ride it alone. It's great with the wife on it.

So the wife finally caved and said OK to a second inexpensive used bike. It came down to a BMW RT (too expensive to buy, maintain and I was concerned about repair costs), a Concours and the FJR. I like the Concours a lot, but the FJR kina fit me better and this one was a good price and I love red bikes.

Loved riding the FJR back from Colorado Springs. Easily cruised at 85 and hit over 100 passing slow traffic. Thank God for Waze! I find the FJR very easy to ride both quickly and in slow speed maneuvering, especially compared to the big Harleys. I have read some posts of people thinking the FJR is heavy--not compared to big Harleys!

I bought a National Cycles medium windshield but I think it is too big. I'm 5'11" and want to feel the wind. Not sure if I'll add bar risers. I do plan to add a top case. Looking forward to many miles of smiles!

Just saw this and first, congrats! Second, I agree with the advice people gave you here.  The weight is very different from the Harley to the FJR because the Harley has the weight much lower making the FJR top-heavy when <5 mph.  I've dropped mine a couple times in parking lots and turning around.

You have probably already figured out managing the RPMs on your trip back from Colorado.  The FJR is two bikes to me.  She behaves like a smooth tourer at <4000 RPMs but above that she becomes a sport bike and really opens up.  To be safe, get really familiar with it before experiencing any of that power at higher than 2nd gear.  Don't let her talk you into getting a ticket or something worse.  My 2007 says bad things to me all the time :)

Congratulations on your 14 model.  You just purchased the fastest of all the FJR's.  You will enjoy the cruise (all the way from CO back home) over the Connie not having one.  I think you will find the maintenance on the FJR to be about as easy as anything you have ever owned.  Oil changes are the most simple and take almost no time.  If you got the ES version you will come to enjoy the suspension changes on the fly.  Soft for the slab and more firm when the road gets curvy.

Be careful with loading your top box.  Known rear subframe issues with too much weight in the box.

All I've done to mine is go with a different windshield, seat, and powder coated the wheels silver.  I'm not a black wheel person.

Have fun and give us some feedback after getting some miles under your belt versus the Hog.