NEW ZX-14- in the stable VERY soon!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
It's 99.0% done. SOLD sign is on the bike. Atomic Silver it is.

Farkles are Projekt D hugger, Twisted Throttle bar kit, Powers Stuntworx Race Railz & mudflap/fender eliminator kit.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Fantastic! Please keep us posted on your thoughts when you get the bike and start riding it. I am looking to pull the trigger on a ZX14 or Busa in the next few months, however, I am leaning toward the 2008 ZX14.

They should be doing a comparision on them here soon:

https://www.biketestusa.com/

It have enjoyed reading Warchilds adventures on his Busa and "un-gaying" it as he explains. :D I have always leaned towards the ZX14, however, his posts and whatnot have actually strengthened my feelings on the 14.

Looking forward to your thoughts..

Mark

Fantastic! Please keep us posted on your thoughts when you get the bike and start riding it. I am looking to pull the trigger on a ZX14 or Busa in the next few months, however, I am leaning toward the 2008 ZX14.
They should be doing a comparision on them here soon:

https://www.biketestusa.com/

It have enjoyed reading Warchilds adventures on his Busa and "un-gaying" it as he explains. :D I have always leaned towards the ZX14, however, his posts and whatnot have actually strengthened my feelings on the 14.

Looking forward to your thoughts..

Mark
There's a heads up comparo between the two in the latest MCN.

:yahoo: :yahoo: I had a ZX-11 & loved it. BTW, there's a comparo with the new'Busa in February's Motorcycle Consumer News which I just received. Mainly a tie between the two with the "Busa faster slightly in 1/4 mile. Overall I prefer the Kawi also. Fast & safe riding to you!!!

Thanks all. I kinda sorta fell for the Atomic Silver colour because the chrome & chrome lettering blended so good. I'm NOT going to be over-farkling this puppy because I can't afford it... like my FJR, it just goes on & on & on......... :dribble:

However, the ZX look very cool with the extended rear wheel! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I also may change to Heli-bar instead of the Twisted Throttle ones.

As far as the comparo... I think they are soooo close. I'm not going to worry about 1 hp or .9 mph. Both bikes are very cool. I just happen to like the ZX-14 look better.

Mark, will do. It's a little nasty weather-wise here... plus we're moving our business. January is hell month for us. I just don't have any time for bike right now. But soon...........VVVRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMM!

Oh, I forgot... there is a 4-2-1 exhaust for the ZX-14, too! However, the stock are pretty cool, too. IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I had, and still have, a ZX-11 (great bike by the way). Also had a ZX-12r. I still haven't gotten around to trying a ZX-14 though.

Looking forward to your feedback on it.

Mark

:yahoo: :yahoo: I had a ZX-11 & loved it. BTW, there's a comparo with the new'Busa in February's Motorcycle Consumer News which I just received. Mainly a tie between the two with the "Busa faster slightly in 1/4 mile. Overall I prefer the Kawi also. Fast & safe riding to you!!!

Congradulations! This bike is more than awesome. I bought the 2008 midnight sapphire blue about 5 weeks ago. The bike handles exceptionally. The engine is smooth as silk as is the transmission. I broke her in like kawasaki said. After 1k miles you can let her rip. :yahoo: This bike kicks some major ass from 6000 rpm on. If your a hyperbike crybaby then don't buy this bike. Nothing like an FJR sitting next to the ZX14 in your garage. :rolleyes:

I just got back from visiting my dealer. It's sooooo pretty (in a manly way!) sitting there on the showroom. My farkle list so far is:

1. Powers Stuntworx Race Railz

2. Chrome mudflap/fender eliminator kit.

3. Kawasaki 'touring' windshield (flip)

4. Heli-bar adapter

5. Projekt D hugger

6. Kisan PathBlazer modulator

Yippee!

I did some window shopping (day dreaming) for this bike, since it is cold out.

Here's some favs:

Copied from Ivan’s Performance>>>>>>

Stainless Race Full System w/Carbon muffler - $895.00 (shipping incl.)

Lighter Titanium headers are available for bigger duckies.

He has other stuff for this bike and has lots of custom maps and sells the pc too.

I liked the feedback and curves for the Akros the best. They are on the quiet side and most streetable.

Ballpark of 30lb savings. (and gets the hot cats out of there)

copied from motorcycletoystore.com >>>>>>>>>>

Marchesini Forged Aluminum Wheels. 10 spoke: Front: 7.64 pounds; Rear: 9.98

Ballpark of 20lb savings of unsprung weight. (and serious bling factor)

$1881

Lighter magnesium wheels are available for bigger duckies ($2700)

Ebay lists some cool carbon fiber (off and on).

Front Fender ($200ish), rear hugger ($300ish), foreman grill panels ($250ish).

Coolest fender eliminator with waterproof led light:

moto-fab.com

$57 (and a few pounds lost from up high on the bike)

Bringing this bad boy down from 535 lbs (empty tank) to ~ 480 lbs (alot unsprung)

and adding beefy torque, would really be jiggy!!

I'm rapidly finding out about the MASS farkles available for the ZX-14. :eek: (as well as the 'Busa). I added a little Whistler radar detector & some Nelson-Rigg mini bags to the list.

I took the ZX for a little 2 mile spin this morning. I was a little careful because of the new tires & I still need to have my farkles put on (Heli-bars, race railz, etc.) & I didn't want to mess it all up. Also, it's friggin' cold here. Lots of ice in the low areas of the roads. It's supposed to snow this week or weekend so I'm just going to leave it at the dealer.

Jeeez, that silver paint & chrome lettering is so pretty (again, in a MANLY way) in the sun!

Okay, that's it. Did I say I HATE winter!

Unlike Mr. Hayabusa Owner Warchild Dude, us hyper-bike Kawasaki ZX-14 owners ride in the cold, hot, whatever.... and reach hyper-speed as we do it ( unlike some folks & their 50mph scooters!). :lol:

Did I ever mention I hate city traffic? :angry:

Anyway, I put on over 100 miles today. I've never ridden a 'chain' bike before the ZX-14, but let me tell ya..... smmmmooooooottthhhh!

But it's a weird feeling going from a sportbike seat position back to the FJR! :wacko:

The fender eliminator kit is so cool. Pictures soon!

Grats on the 14!

bikefamily3.jpg

ok, so the FJR is my wife's bike and the ZZR & 14 are mine. I guess 14s often find themselves in the company of FJRs... :D

Yep, you will love it, Got a 08 Silver myself. I would add a PCIII USB and remove your secondary flies to your list and look at a Brocks pipe. Also go with Heli risers, the Twistedthrottle version you lose a little steering lock.

I had Bill Mayer make a saddle for mine and I put a ZX10 fender on it and had Racetech re spring and valve the shock and fork for my 250#s. The Moto-Fab fender eliminator is the way I went. Ride safe and have fun.

"Got a 08 Silver myself."

Congratulations, Doug. I think it's the coolest color... especially with the chrome lettering!

"I would add a PCIII USB and remove your secondary flies to your list and look at a Brocks pipe."

Doug, no offense, but why? I know there's a lot of options and farkles for the ZX14, but this puppy approaches 180+ HP in stock condition. I understand that slip-ons are pretty cool (don't require a PC), or the 4-2-1 pipe setup is pretty cool (requires a PC), however the stock exhaust (other than weight) is pretty cool, too. Nice and shiny! B)

"Also go with Heli risers, the Twistedthrottle version you lose a little steering lock."

Good call, however, I think the Twisted risers can be fixed so it only scrapes the windscreen just a bit. I went with the Heli's, too.

"I put a ZX10 fender on it"

Again, I ask why? Is it for looks? More subjective stuff, I guess. I happen to like the one it came with.

I'm keeping my '08 ZX14 fairly stock... at least during the warranty period. I did go with headlight and brakelight modulators, a Cox Racing radiator guard, fender eliminator and a Internatrix burglar alarm.

https://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yu...C/of=50,590,442

I agree, Stephen, I think the ZX-14 power delivery is satisfactorily prodigious in stock form; I've done nothing to the powertrain whatsoever, and her flies are staying in. Actually, the only things I've done to her are the addition of the factory centerstand kit and a power cord for my GPS.

Next thing I do will be a custom Rick Meyer saddle. We've got Russell Day-Longs on both my ZZR1200 and my wife's FJR and love them, but I want to try a Meyer for the 14.

[/color]"I would add a PCIII USB and remove your secondary flies to your list and look at a Brocks pipe."

Doug, no offense, but why?

Why? Why not, no offense.

[/color]"I put a ZX10 fender on it"

Again, I ask why? Is it for looks? More subjective stuff, I guess. I happen to like the one it came with.

The short story is, my friend works for Kawasaki and was making brackets to put a ZX10 fender on his 14 so I ask him why and he told me "it helps cooling, do you want one" and I said, Why not.

The no flies thing really increases midrange, probably to the point of stupidity I guess that's why they are their. but it sure is fun riding it with them out.

Cool, Doug. I wasn't being critical all. Just wonderin'.

I frequent most of the ZX web sites and, you're right, most of the folks remove the flies. I think most of them have a pre-2008 model though. I saw the ZX10 fender bracket thing. I'll look into it. If it helps at all with heat distro, I'll get one. However, up here in the Pac NW, heat can be a good thing.

Exhaust-wise, I've been contemplating the Scorpions or 2Bro. Reason? Because they make a model with the brackets. I don't want any clamps showing. Just my preference.

I just had the Back-off brand headlight and brake modulators installed. I have the Kisan's on my FJR.

I forgot about the other bling. I installed a chrome tank guard and I ordered a chrome ZX chain guard and a chrome heel guard from Roaring Toyz. :yahoo:

Oh, by the way. The little Whistler radar detector sticks very nicely on the windscreen. I does block the LCD display a bit. However, it's really an unobtrusive little sucker. It only has a speaker (can't hear sh*t at speed) so I'm installing a mini-jack in it so I can connect it to my Chatterbox or straight into my earbuds.

The ZX is so incredibly smooth to ride... the shifts are solid and smooth. My poor FJR is kinda sitting all lonely lately! :blink:

The ZX is so incredibly smooth to ride... the shifts are solid and smooth. My poor FJR is kinda sitting all lonely lately!
Stephen, I know what you mean it's almost GL1800 smooth, I am almost tempted to make a long distance rider out of it. But I think it would never be able to replace the FJR in that respect. Tank too small, alternator too small, MPG too low.