No Cal ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg97224

Reaction score
I am probably going to be taking a road trip starting in Portland and going down into N. Cal. Probably going to leave Thursday Sep. 4. I have a day or two, then I am going to head back up the coast. Any sugestion on some good roads to hit. I hear there are some nice rides going from central Cal. over to the coast.

Thanks

Below are some interesting highways, described from I-5 to Hwy 1.

Hwy 36: Red Bluff to Fortuna

Hwy 96: Henley (Yreka) to Willow Creek

Hwy 299: Redding to Arcata

Hwy 3: Yreka South through Weaverville to Hwy 36.

Hwy 3 is fairly flat and doesn't get technical until Callahan, then it is really twisty past Trinity Lake to Weaverville. You can jog East and then take Hwy 3 South to Hwy 36.

Personally, I'd take Hwy 96 across to Hwy 1. By all means, eat at the Samoa Cookhouse on the ocean side of Humboldt Bay. Hwy 36 East to Red Bluff is the road sign TWN had as an avatar with the twisty road and "next 140 miles".

They're all good! Also, from Eureka, riding the "Lost Coast" and coming back to Hwy 101 via the Humboldt Redwoods is a very nice slow ride. (2 1/2 miles North of Fortuna take Hwy 211 to Ferndale, L on Matolle Rd. to the ocean, stay on that road through Petrolia. At Honeydew you can turn left to the Humboldt Redwoods or turn right to Shelter Cove, then choose your route back to Hwy 101--retracing your route and then through the redwoods or East on Briceland Rd. to Hwy 101.

You might also want to ride through the "Avenue of the Giants" that are just South of the Humboldt Redwoods State Park on the East side of Hwy 101.

30 miles South of the "Avenue", Hwy 1 heads along the coast to Fort Bragg. Very technical and then you could take Hwy 20 33 miles East to Hwy 101 @ Willits.

Too many great roads, too little time!

Also, Oregon Hwy 66 between Ashland and Klamath Falls is.... :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably take 97 down to I-5, or go from K-falls over to 5 and down. I don't know what is east of 5 in No. Cal. I have taken 96 to the coast and it was a real nice ride. I am thinking about going from Red Bluff on 36 over to the coast and up. I have 3 or 4 days total, so my options are open. I would like to see TWN's road sign, I never knew the man, but I always enjoyed his humor.