Noise from 3.5rpm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found the cause ! I've had a windscreen deflector on since day one. Took it off yesterday to try and get better airflow in the hot (21-22c) weather we've got here at the moment, and lo and behold, the noise is gone !
The deflector must've been accentuating x20 tyre whine or the gearbox or whatever. I can't believe it, it's a completely different bike now, except for the noisy screen, but anything is better than the howling shrieking whine as if a banshee was kicked in the gee.

@horseydonkey glad you found the cause! Sometimes the hardest problems to find are the ones that are not the problem. Something else is.
Maybe a different windshield might solve the buffeting problem too.

I've found the cause ! I've had a windscreen deflector on since day one. Took it off yesterday to try and get better airflow in the hot (21-22c) weather we've got here at the moment, and lo and behold, the noise is gone !
The deflector must've been accentuating x20 tyre whine or the gearbox or whatever. I can't believe it, it's a completely different bike now, except for the noisy screen, but anything is better than the howling shrieking whine as if a banshee was kicked in the gee.
A "Laminar lip" on the stock screen works perfect for me since 2005 😉🙂

This is the offending item, works great other than however it picks up the noise. The whine is still there btw, just bearable now.

MVIMG_20230526_135406-01-03.jpeg