North Cascades Loop 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat L

TwoWheelExplorer
Reaction score
I'm catching up on a ride report for a little day ride from a few weeks back. It was my first day at "Harley touring pace" in quite a while, but it was fun :yahoo:

---

It started a couple of weeks before. My friend Jeff, a longtime riding pal, hatched a plan to take a day off work and ride the North Cascades Loop in WA with a few friends. This loop takes Hwy 2, Hwy 9 and Hwy 20 and crosses the Cascade mountain range twice along the way.

I needed the break and hadn't been on the Hwy 20 portion of this ride for ages, so I was ready to go.

We met at a Starbucks in Monroe, WA to begin. We had four riders: J on a Harley Ultra Classic; his dad D on a Harley Heritage Softail; and J on a Ducati Streetfighter 848. I was on my FJR1300.

P9131578-M.jpg

Monroe is on WA Hwy 2, and we rode through the early morning fog east toward Wenatchee.

P9131581-M.jpg

P9131582-M.jpg

We stopped at the Stevens Pass summit for pictures.

P9131586-M.jpg

P9131588-M.jpg

Breakfast was in Leavenworth.

P9131596-M.jpg

We encouraged D to get a new face tattoo of this theme.

P9131598-M.jpg

Hwy 2 from Leavenworth east to Wenatchee was incredibly smoky. I didn't realize the extent to the fires around Wenatchee till we saw this, just outside Cashmere.

P9131599-M.jpg

We took Alt-97 on the west side of the river, towards Chelan. The fire had burned down to the road, which I later learned had been closed days before.

P9131601-M.jpg

We rode through a tunnel at warp speeds.

P9131609-M.jpg

We turned west on Hwy 20, and stopped for a break just outside Twisp.

P9131613-M.jpg

Fire crews were hard at work in that area.

P9131616-M.jpg

We pulled into Winthrop for a walk around and some lunch.

P9131619-M.jpg

P9131622-M.jpg

Winthrop has an interesting history.

P9131623-M.jpg

We ate at the Old Schoolhouse Brewery in Winthrop and had a riverside table outside on the deck. Highly recommended spot.

P9131625-M.jpg

After a leisurely lunch we headed west again and stopped at the overlook at Rainy Pass. I've seen the signs for this viewpoint but never pulled in. Do it if you're there. The road up to that pass, and then down the other side, is classic Washington alpine twisties.

P9131626-M.jpg

P9131628-M.jpg

P9131635-M.jpg

P9131639-M.jpg

P9131646-M.jpg

P9131658-M.jpg

We headed west again and stopped at Diablo Lake, which reminds me a lot of Shasta Lake, except that Diablo has trees all around and is Washington green.

P9131660-M.jpg

P9131666-M.jpg

P9131667-M.jpg

P9131671-M.jpg

And here's our final route, from Spotwalla using my iPhone for locations. You can see the large chunk of Hwy 20 for which there was no cell coverage.

North-Cascades-Loop-2012-M.jpg

Back to the westside, we took Hwy 9 south and meandered home. It was around 470 miles for the group, plus a few for each of us to get to Monroe from our various homes. It was a great use of a Thursday when I was supposed to be at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an excellent way to use a Thursday. Especially if you are supposed to be at work. I also compliment your friend for riding with his Dad. I ride with my own Dad every chance I get.

It can be good and bad. My Dad, the old guy on the FJR in my avatar, is a great riding partner. He was so nice to me this weekend! He gave me the key to the FJR. The saddlebags were filled with all the things I needed to change the oil. I was also allowed to install the G2 throttle tamer and the Kaoko throttle lock. If I really behave myself, he says I can wash it when I am done... Of course I left my Honda ST parked at home and I have been riding the FJR to work.

You never know when your time with them is over. You try to make the most of it while you can.

Always a nice ride over Stevens and North Cascades whether CW or CCW...weekdays are even better! :)

Thanks for taking us along!

--G

Looks like a great ride!

I've been up to Washington state the last two yrs but never seem to get past Tri-cities in the SE where my sister lives. I need to get out and see some other parts! I have a friend in Everett (a former FJR owner) and old USN shipmates in the Bremerton area. Maybe next yr...............