October 2011: Chiapas-Guatemala Ride con Papa Chuy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
To celebrate my 63rd Birthday, Papa Chuy is riding back to Guatemala. I rode to Guatemala City over 20 years ago on my 1986 BMW R80RT and I want to go way South again before they plant me 6' under the ground. Every year I ride into Mexico (except this year 2010) for the Mexico BMW Moto-Clubs Convention. In 2010 my good friend Ruben Tenorio, President of the Mexico Moto-Clubs, is hosting the Annual Rally in the Mexican State of Chiapas. I will not make this BMW Rally like I usually do, instead I will do an independent ride on Miss Lucy Liu to Chiapas and Guatemala with my FJR Forum Friends.
Chiapas Estado borders Guatemala and we'll need 3 weeks time to make it down to GC and back from Phoenix, Arizona. You'll need to start with fresh tires on your FJR (bring oil/air filter), because we'll rack up 10,000 kilometers on this trip. Plan on daily expenses of at least $110, which will cover fuel, food and sharing a room.

Ruben sent me this promotional video for the BMW Rally, it shows the riding beauty of the area. I wish I could make this, but I am riding Copper Canyon with Shiny!

Paging SPU and Old Michael: 20 months away, so you've plenty of time to save your dinero and stockpile vacation time for this epic Mexico/GA journey and adventure!

PLEASE NOTE: If you want to take your significant other with you to Land of The Maya, this routing below will allow your SO to fly in to Acapulco for the ride down.

On way back from Guatemala, your SO can fly back to Estados Unidos from Veracruz. This allows solo riders to haul ass on the Autopistas on first and last fast days!

FJR FORUM OCTOBER 2011 RIDE TO CHIAPAS ESTADO Y GUATEMALA FOR FJR MOTO FIESTA Y MAS CAMINOS!

FJR Forum: Let’s ride to Chiapas and Guatemala in October of 2011!!

Phoenix to Guaymas, via Hermosillo: 8 hours and 425 miles.

Guaymas to Mazatlan, via Los Mochis: 11 hours and 490 miles.

Mazatlan to Puerto Vallarta, via Tepic: 6 hours and 285 miles.

Puerto Vallarta to La Mira, via Barra de Navidad: 8 hours and 365 miles.

La Mira to Acapulco, via Zihuatanejo: 5 hours and 225 miles.

Rest Day in Acapulco and have the significant others fly in to join us.

Acapulco to Puerto Escondido, via Cuajinicuilapa: 6 hours and 240 miles.

Puerto Escondido to Tuxtla Gutierrez, via Juchitan: 9 hours & 350 miles.

4 nights partying with our fine FJR friends in Chiapas and into Guatemala.

Tuxtla Gutierrez to Villahermosa, via Palenque: 9 hours and 250 miles.

Villahermosa to Veracruz, via Acayucan: 7 hours and 300 miles.

Rest Day in Veracruz and have companions fly home to Estados Unidos.

Veracruz to Tampico, via Tuxpan: 8 hours and 315 miles.

Tampico to Brownsville, Texas: 7 hours and 315 miles.

2 days: 18 hours and 1,250 miles from Brownsville back to Phoenix, AZ.

These times and miles came directly from the AAA Map and Guide Book.

FJR Forum: Start saving your vacation time and dinero for a 3-week and 6,000 mile trip to tour Chiapas and Guatemala in 10/2011! Mas Fiesta!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiny,

Are you up for this?

Sounds like fun, will have to think about this.

Thanks Don, you will keep me broke.

Joe

Shiny,Are you up for this?

Sounds like fun, will have to think about this.

Thanks Don, you will keep me broke.

Joe
No problemo, Jose; Con Mucho Gusto!

Papa Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"

Joe, I just got a phone call from Mr. & Mrs. HotRodZilla, aka AJ and Carrie: They're already 100% committed to this trip. Perhaps we'll swing into Central Mexico to see some of HRZ's La Familia. Carrie will fly in somewhere on the Southward leg and fly back to Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico somewhere on the Northbound leg. Fiesta!

The dates are Saturday, October 8 through Sunday, October 30 of 2011. You'll note this is 23 days and the ride schedule is for 21 days.

Wanted to build in 2 extra lay days, in case of mechanical problems; or to take advantage of staying in a scenic spot that we really like!

Papa Chuy's 63rd Birthday is Thursday, October 28 and this is our last night in Mexico. Plan to get stupid tequila drunk con Senor Chuy!

Hi Don,
Alright, you've narrowed down the year and the month. Any idea on what weeks during the month or possibly tentative dates?

Starting to think,

David

Papa Chuy's 63rd Birthday is Thursday, October 28 and this is our last night in Mexico. Plan to get stupid tequila drunk con Senor Chuy!
Pfffft!

Don't believe it boys. I've ridden to Mexico with this perro feo before. He will be in bed by 7:30pm, snoring like a baby!

Still, you can have his party without him. That's what I always do!