OK so fill me in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas transit

Reaction score
I"m thinking of trying to make this ride, And I will admit this would be my first get together of this type. What is there to do, What can a guy expect. Is it just group ride and dinner or is there an agenda. Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question, but if you don"t ask ------

In the "Official Announcement" post you will find most of the info you are looking for.

I"m thinking of trying to make this ride, And I will admit this would be my first get together of this type. What is there to do, What can a guy expect. Is it just group ride and dinner or is there an agenda. Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question, but if you don"t ask ------
All reasonable questions for someone who has never been to something like this. It's NOT like Sturgis or Daytona. It's just a group of some FJR owners (and a few others) who will meet in a place with great bike riding opportunities. We all have similar tastes in motorcycles and many have "known" each other for a while via this forum. There is no agenda, other than the one dinner, where we'll all gather and get to know each other better.

There is also the opportunity for a behind the scenes tour of Mount Rushmore, including a hike to the top of the heads, an extremely rare treat available to only a small number of people each year.

It's all very informal and unstructured. There will be lots of hanging around outside where the bikes are parked in the mornings and evenings.... comparing farkles, deciding on which is the most farkled, asking "where did you get that?", "where are you riding tomorrow?", "how was your ride today?"

I have negotiated a reduced rate at a motel, with rooms as low as $44 a night--but reservations must be made by August 15. If that's too pricey for anyone, there's a campground across the street. Devanator is working out the dinner arrangements and has found some vendors to contribute door prizes. T-SHIRTS can be ordered now and received in about a week.

I have put together some suggested RIDE ROUTES and will also have some map packets to pass out at the site. You can ride those routes or others. There will be no organized rides, everyone will be on their own. Usually folks, while kicking tires the night before, or over a beverage, will make some plans to ride together the next day in groups of 2-6. People will go off on their own as well.

And, there are a lot of tourist opportunites in the Black Hills. They are mentioned on the ANNOUNCEMENT POST but here are a few of them again:

From Custer, an FJR rider can take off in any of four directions on twisty and scenic routes.

North: Mount Rushmore (live cam), Crazy Horse, Deadwood (gambling), Devils Tower, Sturgis, Rapid City (live cam), scenery, and miles of twisty roads.

East: Custer State Park, Badlands National Park, buffalo, scenery, and twisty roads. Badlands (live cam)

South: Wind Cave National Park, buffalo, Hot Springs, Agate Fossil Beds Nat. Monument, scenery, and twisty roads.

West: Jewel Cave National Monument, cave tours, scenery, and twisty roads.

CLICKY for more information about what to see and do in the Black Hills.

Hope to see you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the come back jackson, I had read the pinned thread but it didn't answer all of my questions. ok I'm hoping to know by monday nite. One more, since there was some mention of bike vendors all to ourselves around the area and this being the end of the "season" could a guy expect to score some good deals on equipment and gear? There are several things that I need to get an although it may not be wise to head out "naked" I was just wondering if I should hold off buying some things until up there. thoughts?

We have no confirmed vendors that will be at CFO. We may end up with 1 or 2, but don't expect to "score good deals on equipment and gear".

Thanks again for all your help. Just found out I can make it. Rooms reserved you should have my reg. Hoping to hookup with someone going thru here or on the way. Appericate everthing, looking forward to meeting everone. Stan :yahoo: :clapping:

Stan:

Are you leaving Thursday morning? I could be in your neighborhood by then. My original route had me going west on I-70 out of Salina and staying at Hayes Wednesday night. From there I was going to take 183 north. I could just continue north on 81 to your neck of the woods and then take 24 to 14 north to 36 west to 183.

Glasco is only 138 miles from Wichita and I actually wanted to get about 200 miles or more behind me on Wednesday night. If you want to meet me Wednesday night, I'd be willing to go another 3 hours to Holdrege, NE and stay at the Super 8 there. That would give me about 300 miles for the night and you'd have over 150. That would leave 430 miles to Custer on Thursday.

Here is a link to the hotel in Holdrege: https://www.hotels.com/property.do?COYear=2...z=1187444535546

Please let me know what your plans are. At the very least we could ride home together on Sunday. I have 727 miles to cover so I want to get am early start - maybe 7 AM, but no later than 8 AM.

Hey Mike, sorry it took me till today to get back to you. I was in chicago, wheaton actually (should have looked up wheaton fjr) I'm open for anything you are, a wed. eve leave is fine with me. I thought maybe you were visiting someone in Hays KS. and I didn't want to just invite myself along if you already had plans. I also thought that if you wanted your always welcome here, we have two guest bedrooms we seldom use. But Holdredge would be great, I was a little worried about hooking up with someone who was going to run nonstop up there I wouldn't want to hold them up. This will be my first ride of over 200 miles for 23 years, I may need to stop and stretch once in a while. I'm afraid I'm not as limber as I once was lol. Also I'm real familiar with those routes, as they are our trucking company routes to the northwest. 81 north to Glasco is excellent 24 is undergoing some paving but will be done in a week or two, 14, 36,183 all good roads. also there is a small truck stop in phillpsburg that makes a good bathroom break before setting out for holdredge. Glad you posted. I'm getting a little psyched already. Also I'm not sure where to post this but if there is anyone else coming thru here, my wife and I have an rental house which is empty, no furniture but lites are on and there is hot and cold water shower, bathroom,heat and it has a roof,and we have a good little cafe here in town that does breakfast and lunch. They would have to have a sleeping bag though. Anyone on an fjr is welcome. Look forward to meeting you Stan.

Hey Mike, sorry it took me till today to get back to you. I was in chicago, wheaton actually (should have looked up wheaton fjr) <snip>
:dribble: Man, what were you doin' in Wheaton? It's not like it is a big metropolis or anything? :)

You boys have fun in the Black Hills... :clapping: :clapping:

I'll be east this year with CFR & EOM. :rolleyes:

Hey Mike, sorry it took me till today to get back to you. I was in chicago, wheaton actually (should have looked up wheaton fjr) <snip>
:dribble: Man, what were you doin' in Wheaton? It's not like it is a big metropolis or anything? :)

I had to deliver a mobility van to midwest mobility in Schaumburg and it was about 3:30 pm when I got done. I wasn't going to fight all the traffic and constuction going down 294/355 so I ran the old chicago road ILL 19 over to barrinton (SP) and then 20 over to 59 and ran that south to I88 west. I saw a guy on a silver fjr and thought about chasin him down but then I thought if I was on my bike and a guy was chasin me around with a purple peterbilt what would I do!!! So I just kept on going. Any chance you where on 59 around 3:45??? Just so you know Wheaton is a megatropolis compared to Glasco, KS lol. have a good time out east. Be safe.

I had to deliver a mobility van to midwest mobility in Schaumburg and it was about 3:30 pm when I got done. I wasn't going to fight all the traffic and constuction going down 294/355 so I ran the old chicago road ILL 19 over to barrinton (SP) and then 20 over to 59 and ran that south to I88 west. I saw a guy on a silver fjr and thought about chasin him down but then I thought if I was on my bike and a guy was chasin me around with a purple peterbilt what would I do!!! So I just kept on going. Any chance you where on 59 around 3:45??? Just so you know Wheaton is a megatropolis compared to Glasco, KS lol. have a good time out east. Be safe.
Wasn't me, but there alot of new FJRs around that aren't on the Forum. Yeah, if someone were runnin' me down on a Peterbilt...I might freak...kinda like that 'ol movie "Duel" with Dennis Weaver.

Anyways, take care and have a fun & safe time on your CFO trip. Oh, and when you see TriggerT..tell him I say hey!

Hey Jackson,

I just wanted to say thanks for doing a great job answering KansasTransit's question. A humble, simple answer goes a long way.

-Brian

All reasonable questions for someone who has never been to something like this. It's NOT like Sturgis or Daytona. It's just a group of some FJR owners (and a few others) who will meet in a place with great bike riding opportunities. We all have similar tastes in motorcycles and many have "known" each other for a while via this forum. There is no agenda, other than the one dinner, where we'll all gather and get to know each other better.

There is also the opportunity for a behind the scenes tour of Mount Rushmore, including a hike to the top of the heads, an extremely rare treat available to only a small number of people each year.

It's all very informal and unstructured. There will be lots of hanging around outside where the bikes are parked in the mornings and evenings.... comparing farkles, deciding on which is the most farkled, asking "where did you get that?", "where are you riding tomorrow?", "how was your ride today?"

I have negotiated a reduced rate at a motel, with rooms as low as $44 a night--but reservations must be made by August 15. If that's too pricey for anyone, there's a campground across the street. Devanator is working out the dinner arrangements and has found some vendors to contribute door prizes. T-SHIRTS can be ordered now and received in about a week.

I have put together some suggested RIDE ROUTES and will also have some map packets to pass out at the site. You can ride those routes or others. There will be no organized rides, everyone will be on their own. Usually folks, while kicking tires the night before, or over a beverage, will make some plans to ride together the next day in groups of 2-6. People will go off on their own as well.

And, there are a lot of tourist opportunites in the Black Hills. They are mentioned on the ANNOUNCEMENT POST but here are a few of them again:

From Custer, an FJR rider can take off in any of four directions on twisty and scenic routes.

North: Mount Rushmore (live cam), Crazy Horse, Deadwood (gambling), Devils Tower, Sturgis, Rapid City (live cam), scenery, and miles of twisty roads.

East: Custer State Park, Badlands National Park, buffalo, scenery, and twisty roads. Badlands (live cam)

South: Wind Cave National Park, buffalo, Hot Springs, Agate Fossil Beds Nat. Monument, scenery, and twisty roads.

West: Jewel Cave National Monument, cave tours, scenery, and twisty roads.

CLICKY for more information about what to see and do in the Black Hills.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks for pointing that out firedog and I think the correct response from myself should be (god I hope I get this right) GUNNY :lol: :lol: :lol: To MKO or anyone else that was thinking of heading to cfo that we might meet up with. If you can't get ahold of me don't think I fell off the face of the earth, I'm leaving today for TX,LA,FL, an office meeting in IN, then to MI, on to MN, I should be back here by next fri. Thanks stan

Hey Mike, sorry it took me till today to get back to you. I was in chicago, wheaton actually (should have looked up wheaton fjr) I'm open for anything you are, a wed. eve leave is fine with me. I thought maybe you were visiting someone in Hays KS. and I didn't want to just invite myself along if you already had plans. I also thought that if you wanted your always welcome here, we have two guest bedrooms we seldom use. But Holdredge would be great, I was a little worried about hooking up with someone who was going to run nonstop up there I wouldn't want to hold them up. This will be my first ride of over 200 miles for 23 years, I may need to stop and stretch once in a while. I'm afraid I'm not as limber as I once was lol. Also I'm real familiar with those routes, as they are our trucking company routes to the northwest. 81 north to Glasco is excellent 24 is undergoing some paving but will be done in a week or two, 14, 36,183 all good roads. also there is a small truck stop in phillpsburg that makes a good bathroom break before setting out for holdredge. Glad you posted. I'm getting a little psyched already. Also I'm not sure where to post this but if there is anyone else coming thru here, my wife and I have an rental house which is empty, no furniture but lites are on and there is hot and cold water shower, bathroom,heat and it has a roof,and we have a good little cafe here in town that does breakfast and lunch. They would have to have a sleeping bag though. Anyone on an fjr is welcome. Look forward to meeting you Stan.
Stan:

Thanks for the offer to stay at your place, but it sounds like we both want to minimize the miles on Thursday and making it to Holdrege Wednesday night will still leave 430 miles to Custer, so lets plan on it. I have to work until 4 PM on Wednesday, so it'll be after 6 PM before I get to your place.

As far as riding styles, I like to get off and stretch every 1 1/2 hours or so, but I'm good with anything between 1-2 hours. I believe in everyone riding their own ride. To avoid tickets I try to cruise less than 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. Because the FJR speedo is over-rated by about 4-5%, according to my Zumo GPS, I usually hold the speedo at about an indicated +10 MPH over the limit to play it safe. Having said that, from time to time I like to turn up the wick a little - especially in the curves. If the other guys I'm riding with don't get the same urge I simply cruise slower when I'm done until they catch up. To each their own. Are you ok with that?

If we decide to ride back together on Sunday, the only thing I would add to the above is I'd like to keep the length of the stops to a minimum. I like to shoot for 15 minutes max for gas, restroom, hydration and stretch stops and 30 minutes max for fast food stops. Sunday will be a long day and long stops make it that much longer.

Stan:

I booked 2 NS rooms with 2 Queen beds at the Super 8 in Holdrege, NE for Wednesday night, 9/19. We can cancel as late as 6 PM on 9/19, but wanted to make sure we had something reserved. There is still more availability if we hear from FJRMGM in Houston. The rooms are $58.50 + $5.85 tax. They serve a decent continental breakfast for a Super 8, which includes sausage gravy, bisquets, cereal, fruit and waffles. Their direct # is: 308-995-2793.

Hello Mike, was able to find a wifi spot here in atlanta. Everthing sounds good to me, I,ll post you a pm when I get home, should be friday unless my meeting in Ind. runs over. No problems on riding styles I'm pretty easy to get along with, at least thats what my wife says :rolleyes: Have a great weekend. Stan