One guy's observation on the "heat issue"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
I guess if it's mid summer in the Arizona desert sun, the heat given off by the FJR probably is an 'issue'

But in upstate New York, at 33°, with snow coming down, like it was this morning, it's a Godsend!!

Actually made for a pleasant little ride down to the inspection station. :D

I guess if it's mid summer in the Arizona desert sun, the heat given off by the FJR probably is an 'issue'
Nope. Mid-summer it's so freaking HOT you don't even notice the heat coming off the bike. (Unless you are in a lot of stop-n-go traffic with long lights) Heat is EVERYWHERE.

For me, it's a minor annoyance between 80-95 degrees.

Heat sux...but it's better than my C10 Concours. That bike was a furnace in the summer. I bought a bagster for summer use....I'll let cha know if it works.

I ride an 05 with no heat fixes lurking beneath the tank. Last August here in Florida, I got a good taste of what the toasted bun detesters were howling about. However, I discovered that if I sit back in the seat a little, kick my knees out about 3-4 inches from the tank, they catch a nice cool blast of air that pretty much nullifies most of what was coming from the bike. Simple solution and it works for me. However, during the winter, I rode the bike 20 miles in to work at average temps of 40 and sure did appreciate the warmth of the motor and that amazing fairing.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping the gas tank above 3 or 4 bars works extremely well for you guys with the toasted chestnuts. Doesn't help squat with the engine heat blowing on you but it does cut down on some of the... shall we call it, unpleasantness?

Im anxious to see how mine does int he AZ heat this summer. I cant imagine it being any worse in traffic than my VTX1800 was.

/queue chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

I have an '08 and have ridden all day in 95 to 100 deg heat. Hell, that weather is so hot, the heat from the FJr is barely noticeable. Seriously, I feel the heat, but it's not enough to matter.

I have an '08 and have ridden all day in 95 to 100 deg heat. Hell, that weather is so hot, the heat from the FJr is barely noticeable. Seriously, I feel the heat, but it's not enough to matter.
Man, I don't know how you guys take that kind of heat....it just flattens me! 'Course, I don't like the cold very well either....guess I'm well & truely screwed, eh? :unsure:

Well it's heading into the upper 90's today in Arizona. I got my Tiger 1050 (2007)out, did the oil, chain and had PR3's put on it this week. The FJR puts out too much heat at my feet, mostly the right foot, I put highway pegs on to move my feet out of the hot zone and it helps, but in traffic or slow speeds it is killer. I was going to sell my Tiger when I got the FJR but it's paid so it will become my hot weather/day trip bike, no heat issues on the Tiger no fairing to hold it in.

In the Northern Rockies where I do most of my riding, the heat from the '03 is an annoyance maybe two or three weeks a year - when it is above 85 degrees. Which means it is a non-issue for about 3 or 4 months of the season, and is a godsend for the first and last month. Everything is a compromise of some sort.

Never had a heat issue on my bike whatsoever. It is a nice cozy bike and keeps me warmer when it is cool out, but when it's warm I don't feel anything really. Only time there was annoying heat was when riding in well over 90 degrees in slow traffic. Any heat is going to be annoying when it's already that hot out. Even that heat has pretty much gone away since I got ride of the cats.

Once I did the complete Cromeit fix on my '03 it cooled it right down. I really didn't think it was too bad before though. Only thing that got me was on my left shin during summertime here in Fla. Cromeit fix that.

Once I did the complete Cromeit fix on my '03 it cooled it right down. I really didn't think it was too bad before though. Only thing that got me was on my left shin during summertime here in Fla. Cromeit fix that.
+1 - that and putting an insulation blanket under the gas tank worked wonders on my faster '05.

+1 - that and putting an insulation blanket under the gas tank worked wonders on my faster '05.
When tipping the tank up the other day I noticed a form fitted, foil faced pad attached to the bottom, covering most ot it. Is this the insulation blanket or something OEM?

When tipping the tank up the other day I noticed a form fitted, foil faced pad attached to the bottom, covering most ot it. Is this the insulation blanket or something OEM?
that is OEM - the insulation blanket is extra. Got mine from a forum member who used to make them.

here is link to guy who makes them - well worth the money for a Gen I FJR.

https://www.jfiltd.com/SpeedZoneAhead/fjrhotgastankfix.htm

that is OEM - the insulation blanket is extra. Got mine from a forum member who used to make them but I believe they are available on E-bay.

Or get the foil/bubble wrap at the hardware store fer like 5 bucks & cut/trim to fit yourself!