One thing I'm glad the FJR doesn't have...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash Cash

Reaction score
... is that damned stupid "parking" position on the ignition, especially when it's located so you can accidentally click into it and walk off not realizing the tail light is burning up your battery. Dyking that out is one of the first things I do to a new bike. I went riding with a friend on his DL-650 and he had this happen, so I had to help push-start him.

So I got to wondering, do Gen I bikes have this? Do European bikes still have it?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. My gen1 fz1 doesn't have it either.

Must be some kind of Euro thing, not much use for it here.

... Do European bikes still have it?
Yes, Euro bikes have the "park" position. I believe it's a legal requirement here in the UK, as is the "passing" headlight flasher switch.

We also have the immobiliser thingy in the key (although you're normally totally unaware of it except for the flashing red light when you turn off the ignition).

Just bought a 06 and 08 bimmers. Yep they have it. 08 has the flash to pass too. Yeah its stupid. More than willing to believe that some non-rider over there made it a requirement.

Guys-

"Parking" position in the ignition is so that one can park the bike and remove the ignition key while

the rear running light is left on for nighttime parking saftey. Required in Europe.

Ya just better hope your battery in good shape...

... Do European bikes still have it?
Yes, Euro bikes have the "park" position. I believe it's a legal requirement here in the UK, as is the "passing" headlight flasher switch.

We also have the immobiliser thingy in the key (although you're normally totally unaware of it except for the flashing red light when you turn off the ignition).
Yep my 2008 model also has the parking lights and "passing" head light flasher, but my 2007 UK kawasaki Meanstreak doesn't have the flasher or immobiliser

Guys-
"Parking" position in the ignition is so that one can park the bike and remove the ignition key while

the rear running light is left on for nighttime parking saftey. Required in Europe.

Ya just better hope your battery in good shape...
On the UK FJR the front 'side lights' also come on.........

<...> More than willing to believe that some non-rider over there made it a requirement.
You got that right. Big Brothers in Brussels and at individual country level make decisions "in the bikers' interest" without consulting them. It's for our own safety, you see. They know best. :fuk:

Stef

<...> More than willing to believe that some non-rider over there made it a requirement.
You got that right. Big Brothers in Brussels and at individual country level make decisions "in the bikers' interest" without consulting them. It's for our own safety, you see. They know best. :fuk:

Stef
I dare say before long we will all have to have air bags fitted as well :unsure: .........

My KLR had it, only the tail light came on in that position. It got me once. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator: