Ooops! Sorry There, Ponch!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
So I got the front end back on last night and took the scoot to the office today - a late Ride To Work Day, for me. Anyway, I knocked off about 4:00 pm and took the week's deposits to the bank for the wifey and my bidnesses. I'm right off the 101 so I decided to pop on and shoot up the highway, hit the bank and then put some test miles on the new fork springs.

As usual for this time of year, Friday afternoons bring a whack of traffic through town and the highway was clogged. Thankfully, lane sharing is OK in California and guess what I was doing? I'm cutting my way through traffic and some of the cages will edge over to give you room and some don't. I'm doing between 10 and 20 mph over the cages crawl when I noticed almost every car edging over and giving me room! How cool is this? I feel like a regular friggin' Moses parting the Red Sea!

Well, traffic finally cleared and I assumed my place in the fast lane when I saw the reason for the Moses Effect in my mirrors.... Whoop, whoop, whoooop! Shit! Johnny Law had snuck up behind me on his BMW. I never saw him and I'm pretty damn sure I checked my mirrors at least 6 or 7 times during this 5 mile ride.

I pulled over to the shoulder, dropped the side stand, shut her down, pulled my wallet and waited for the obligatory bitch slap from Poncherello. Turns out he's a pretty nice guy, doesn't ask me for my papers and just wants me to know that I should keep my speed down to at most 10 mph over the cagers when lane sharing. Now that's what I call good karma, man. You dig? However, I think I've used my get outta jail free card and will mellow out for a while...

Thanks, Ponch. If I ever meet you at Winchell’s, the donuts and coffee are on me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I read another post that mentioned when lane splitting it was only legal to go 5mph over what the other fruitcakes are doing and you can't split over 30mph. I usually stick to the 30mph part, but typically do about 10mph faster than the cagers.

Todd

In the late 80's I was N bound on the 110 from Redondo to LA going to work one morning and I came up behind an LAPD Motor, He speed up so I speed up, He speed up so I speed up, He speed up so I speed up, He speed up so I speed up, He allmost sideswiped a van so he pulled me over. :angry: :angry:

He asks if I know how fast I was going, tell him the truth... "I don't know I was just following you".

I figure I don't want to F with court, all the times I haven't been cought I'll just pay it.

I get the notice in the mail "Must appear in court". :angry01: :angry02: :angry03:

The judge lines me and 9 others up and asks each "Guilty or Not Guilty?", He gets to me and reads the ticket "Spliting lanes doing 65 (Max at that time was 55), traffic doing 25 (California law is no more than 15mph faster than the cars you are splitting between)... CLOCKED FROM AHEAD!"

He doesn't even look as he says [SIZE=21pt]"Case Dissmissed"[/SIZE] !

@ Rogue: :lol:

@TWN : Come on now....we all know when LEO asked about your employment you told him you were the VP for Krispy Kreme!

I guess if you crossed Ponch and Radman you'd get something like this. Just be glad you didn't run into him on the highway :bleh:

Ponchxsito.jpg

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Interesting, just last Thursday I'm S/B on the 55 just coming off the 91 W/B and traffic is it's usual 8am mess. Everything comes to a halt and just as I'm looking to see if I can split the lane I see a motor officer coming up. So I slide a little to my left, let the Tustin Officer go by and then proceed to follow him. It was like watching the biblical parting of the sea; when the cagers would see his rig they would move over, look in the mirror and see my headlight and probably thought there were 2 motor officers. He pulled me all the way to the 5 S/B. If you haven't driven these So. Calif. freeways at rush hour (now that's an oxymoron) you have no idea how happy I was to have that guy drag me along with him. :D

However, I think I've used my get outta jail free card and will mellow out for a while...
Thanks, Ponch. If I ever meet you at Winchell’s, the donuts and coffee are on me!
With a "thank you" like this one, I'm CERTAIN that you've just used your Get outta jail free card...just hope Ponch doesn't read this forum.

:rolleyes:

Re: 30 mph rule, NOPE!

I was a witness to an accident and after all the paperwork was done , I asked if the officer could answer some questions. He was a recent transplant from El Lay, and told me there was no 30 mph rule. If you are splitting at to high a difference between yourself and the other traffic, at their discretion, an officer could ticket you. He also said that we do this at our own risk. Should there be an incident (and you could not prove intention on the cager's part) the responsibility could be on us.

Following a motor officer through traffic: Priceless! BTDT--waaayy kewel! One of the reasons I always travel with the sidecases on is so that law enforcement might see me as a "harmless" tourer. ;)