other kind of two wheel fun, non-motorized

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastern5

Reaction score
sometimes I enjoy taking the mountain bike out and riding some trails. like today, brisk morning ride at the local park where they have nice bike trails in the woods. It was super fun.

I love my mountian bike. Don't ride nearly as much as I used to or should. That; however, is about to change. They just decided to give me command of our bike unit. My transfer takes place in January. I'll have to go to the school, which I've never done. If I want, I'll be able to spend 8 hours a day riding around on my bike.

I'm already in the process of trying to get dualsport bikes for what we do. Probably KLRs or DR650s. We'll see...

We have talked about those. Last week, in fact. Haven't done any pricing. If they're not crazy expensive, we'll look into them further. I work for a gubment agency you know...We're cheap!

i restarted riding a bicycle at 63 years young. Due to complications of insulin dependant diabetes, Dr said only 15 min on my feet. What's amazing is I took a 48 year break from non powered 2 wheels and haven't had to relearn. None ,however is mountain biking, just exersise. Out and back farthest 16 miles on renovated railways.

I ride pretty much every day if I can. I even raced for the first time back in October. I came in 2nd in the open novice class on a singlespeed rigid.
smile.png

Thinking very seriously about riding the full race schedule next year.

20140924_170935_zpscedf12e6.jpg

A little over a year ago, I bought what I intend to be my last bicycle, a fully-suspended Trek with 29" wheels. It is nice, but I would advise anyone who encounters many tight switchbacks to look at the newer-still designs with 27.5" wheels.

Speaking of this thread. I got my new toy today:

20141223_162409.jpg

Its amazingly light for a fully spended bike. Hydraulic brakes and the new 27.5" wheels. Hydraulic seat adjustment and a 9 speed cassette, for a total of 18 gears. Don't transfer to the unit until January 10th, but going for a ride with my guys tomorrow.

This should be a blast!!

Went on a training ride with the guys this morning. It was a good 2 hours with bike trail stuff and some good off-road with stairs, trees, sand, and ditches. It was a good first ride. On the way back, those guys smoked me. Holy shit!!

First time ever on a full suspension bike, and I really liked it. This new gig is gonna be a blast!!