Picked UP MY 08 Yesterday!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

War Machine

Zero Altitude Test Pilot
Reaction score
YES!....It feels so good to have an FJR again, & to be riding again since having the 06 totaled.

The 08 feels exactly like my 06 (DUH..I know ...it is basically the same bike) but with a much easier throttle pull. If you rode both bikes that is the obvious change that stands out. Only put 27 miles on her since I picked it up late last night from the dealer & it Monsooned today here in New York. Will get up early & put a few more break in miles (accelerate/decelerate...accelerate/decelerate etc. you know the drill) then change the oil & go for a good ride.

I'll spare you all the stock pics but will post after the alterations. Have all the farkles from the 06! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
War Machine,

Congrats on the new bike and I hope the shelf life on it is longer than the last one.

If you want to take a break-in ride you can ride out to my house in Sag Harbor, about 90 miles out of NYC on eastern LI, and you can swap out the oil and filter here in my garage and then ride home. I'm pretty sure I have oil and a filter also. I'm going to be around here all day doing odds and ends on the bikes anyway. PM me if you want to do that and I'll send you over my cell phone #.

Welcome WM back to the machine, the bike and your home here that is. This time be a little more easy will ya and post up the pics of the new ride when you get ready just to make us all envious. Be safe, PM. <>< :yahoo:

Mine came in on Monday and I picked it up yesterday. Shipping damage was a chip on the right side fairing and smudges on the rear grab handle luggage rack. All the parts will be replaced. I had to wash it when I got home salt and slush from the highway. I wish I would have looked harder for an enclosed trailer. Now for the farkles. Id like some advice on this if you could help me out War Machine.

11108002ud2.jpg

Now for the farkles. Id like some advice on this if you could help me out War Machine.
Congratulations! That is a good looking bike. Black is going to be "interesting" during the Winter and the Spring thaw! :dribble:

1st: Ride is and see what you need.

2nd: Make notes when you hear or see what others have done and add what you want.

[SIZE=8pt]This advice from someone who has made over 40 changes (farkles, modifications, etc.) to his FJR. Some things we do because we can![/SIZE]

upnorthdogg is in the very far north of Minnesota.

Heated grips and an electric jacket hookup for starters. :)

btw Guys, congratulations.

Now for the farkles. Id like some advice on this if you could help me out War Machine.
Must farkles; Motosliders, radar detector, GPS, communication (Bike to Bike or Driver to pillion) includes cell phone operation, vista cruise, heat troller (for your heated gear) and lastly "optional" Digital Camcorder. Hope this helps. Have fun.

Farkle Advice from my experience:

Heated Grips

Heated Vest - nice and tight fitting - all you need is the on/off switch not the expensive heat troller.

Powerlet for Heated Vest

Madco Cam-Lock Sport - throttle lock

Holeshot Slip Ons - loud but not too loud

I have the Wild Bill High Way pegs but I find it is more comfortable to hook my legs back on the passenger pegs. I get a better stretch too.

Keep the stock windshield it works just fine and I'm 6'2" with a 32 inseam. It's a motorcycle, get used to the wind. :)

That my buck and a halfs worth.

John

Hey 08 guys. How do the new clutches feel compared to the 06-07 clutches? Let us know if you start to get that sticking between the plates and disks.

YES!....It feels so good to have an FJR again, & to be riding again since having the 06 totaled.
The 08 feels exactly like my 06 (DUH..I know ...it is basically the same bike) but with a much easier throttle pull. If you rode both bikes that is the obvious change that stands out. Only put 27 miles on her since I picked it up late last night from the dealer & it Monsooned today here in New York. Will get up early & put a few more break in miles (accelerate/decelerate...accelerate/decelerate etc. you know the drill) then change the oil & go for a good ride.

I'll spare you all the stock pics but will post after the alterations. Have all the farkles from the 06! :yahoo:
Congrats!!!

Are you going to be the Forum member that writes the Bin-O-Facts section on how to keep an '08 looking clean? (products, sweat, hours, frustration, tears, etc)

Hey 08 guys. How do the new clutches feel compared to the 06-07 clutches? Let us know if you start to get that sticking between the plates and disks.
another question along the same lines-you 08 buyers that had 06-07 bikes how does the transmission shift as compared to the other bikes?-any smoother? sounds like the throttle is fixed and a non issue now ?