PNW Alpine Lake Tour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
Just back from a 3 day ride around the Pacific North West over the Memorial Day Weekend. Saturday was Highway 20 across the North Cascades, Sunday was spent touring the area, then heading over to Coeur D'Alene in Idaho. Monday was a straight run home on the I-90 Slab to Seattle.

Redmond to Kettle Falls

Weather forecast was iffy - chance of rain and cold, so I layered up warm and left early to try to stay ahead of the rain. I planned to cross the North Cascades on Highway 20 through the Mt Baker National Forest. My original plan to run up I-5 to Mt Vernon and take WA-20 East from there was derailed (or de-bridged) by a truck driver who had taken out the I-5 bridge over the Skagit river earlier in the week, so instead I only went up I-5 as far as Arlington, where I picked up 530 to run NE up to 20. This turned out to be well worth doing as the 530 section had lush, rural scenery and a few interesting things to look at on the way ..

IMG_0897_zps64b24276.jpg

530 and 20 run flat (but gently twisted) for a surprisingly long way inland. I was still at 300 to 400 feet altitude well after I had expected to start climbing, but eventually the valley floor ran out and the climb started.

I could soon see why the range is called "The Cascades" ... water falls are around every corner ...

IMG_0904_zpsc355a18f.jpg

Soon the highway hits a series of lakes - so many that they quickly became the "theme" for the tour. George Lake,

IMG_0900_zps596d357e.jpg

Then Diablo Lake

IMG_0905_zps142e5d42.jpg

come up quickly.

The water is a deep green - according to the sign at the visitors center, this is due to the fine rock particles ground off by the glaciers suspended in the water:

IMG_0909_zps54f20e55.jpg

The top of the pass was npt as high as I had expected, but still high enough to have snow piled up by the side of the road ..

IMG_0912_zpsb6a2bf51.jpg

After the the top of the pass, there is the famous hairpin curve - I didn't take a photo - too busy keeping my eyes on the road, so I linked to this one from the WDOT site ... there wasn't this much snow on saturday !

5613439648_178f04f400.jpg

Lunch stop was at Winthrop - a cute tourist trap of a town, basking in afternoon sunshine - I divested myself of several layers and headed for "The Old School House" brewery and restaurant. Food was excellent, but they were packed out for the holiday weekend. Luckily there were seats open at the bar, and the owner was good company during the 49 minute 29.2 second (the owner timed it) wait for my burger. I explained I was riding, so had to forego the beer, but as well as the pepsi, he gave me several samples of his award winning ales. My favorite was the Imperial IPA, recommended as a very flowery taste with a clean finish, yet not too "hop forward'

IMG_0919_zps474ce79a.jpg

From Winthrop, WA-20 turns South to follow the Methow river down its course - the scenery is still Alpine, but now the rich meadows and farmland of the alluvial valley, rather than the majestic crags of the peaks and passes. This gentle section goes as far as the charmingly named "Twisp" where 20 turns East again and leaves the river valley to climb up and over the Loup-Loup pass to Okanogan. This was another great stretch of twisties, with some faster corners (30 and 45 mph) mixed in with 15 mph hairpins.

Just before Okanogan my FJR ran onto reserve for the first time since I bought her, and I moderated my enthusiasm for the bends in favor of a more moderate driving style, intimidated a little by the flashing display and the trip counter reminding me how many miles it had been flashing. I refilled in Okanogan and could barely get 5 gallons into the tank, so I guess there is more reserve there than I had thought.

From Okanogan, 20 merges with 97 to head North towards the Canadian border, but I had forgotten my passport, so when 20 split off again to head East at Tomosek, I turned with it to head first to "Republic" and then to Kettle Falls. Hwy 20 saved the best for last that day - the climb up and back down Sherman Pass - the highest pass of the day at 5575 feet, and quite the best set of twisties and hairpins on the ascent and descent ..

I was glad to reach Kettle Falls and park up at the Kettle Falls Inn. Sun was setting and I was tired ..

IMG_0925_zps2014cfce.jpg

IMG_0923_zps9b56e326.jpg

This is an inexpensive Motel ($70) - basic, but clean and cheerful, with a good restaurant next door (TJ's) where the food (I had baked fresh salmon with wild rice and steamed vegetables) was excellent and good value ($16 for a huge salmon fillet).
So good, that I was back there the next morning for breakfast. Beware the pancakes - they are excellent but huge - dinner plate sized. I was glad I had ordered the short stack (2) but only managed to eat one ... good job I didn't order 3, or there would have been a lot going go waste (or waist ...)

Excellent first day of riding - easily 120 miles of twisties on 20, plus another 200 miles of straights and gentle curves. I recommend hwy 20 to anyone !

Sunday
Having forgotten my passport, the original plan of heading up into Canada was not possible, so the plan changed to just "poke around the area and then head to Coeur D'Alene". A quick look at Washington Destination Highways showed that DH12 - around Lake Sullivan - was just to the North - so it seemed a pity not to go there ..

https://washington.destinationhighways.com/dh/NorthEast/12sum.htm

and WOW was it worth it .. staggering views and roads around every bend - starting with the run on 20 further East to Tiger, then up 31 to Ione in the Pend Oreille valley. I stopped being motorcyclist and switched to "tourist" - stopping every few miles to snap another picture ... here is the highlights reel ..

IMG_0929_zps5c633d58.jpg

IMG_0930_zpse72079e3.jpg

IMG_0935_zps70f68708.jpg

At Metaline Falls the road goes up again and forks - one way into Canada (no passport !) and the other around Lake Sullivan - an impossibly beautiful pocket sized lake up in the hills.

IMG_0940_zps361ebe30.jpg

IMG_0942_zps092b0b75.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsd34d5ccf.jpg

IMG_0948_zpsf6c01d7e.jpg

Too soon the Lake Sullivan loop is over (its a little less than 18 miles) and back to the highway ...

IMG_0951_zpsc1113cb5.jpg

our old friend WA-20 , but now running South East to Newport along the Pend Oreille river where it crosses the border into Idaho and turns into I-2 ...and yet another lake - Lake Pend Oreille ..

IMG_0954_zpsca6a7290.jpg

But this far South we are running out of twisties and the run on 95 into Coeur D'Alene is quite straight, made worse by the Memorial Weekend Traffic and new construction zones. Strangely having been out all day on the most fantastic roads, the only time I see any other motorcycles is on the most boring bit on 95 into Coeur D'Alene.

Coeur D'Alene ... I have wanted to visit this town for a long time, as several of my tri-athlete friends have done the Iron Man there. The one this year isn't for another month, but it was good to get a flavor of the place. Another very beautiful Alpine Lake, this time with a modern, well maintained town / tourist resort, with beaches, marina, upscale shopping and restaurants. Oh, and a really nice road around the lake - Highway 97

IMG_0957_zps3e688d12.jpg

IMG_0965_zps37d84e86.jpg

IMG_0966_zpsb2e23bba.jpg

IMG_0963_zps7a3f4111.jpg

Stay away from the Bamboo Thai restaurant though - at least on the Sunday night of a three day weekend. I had to send my "Idaho Trout with cashews" back - it was totally over cooked and the noodles I ordered as an alternative were not much better - overcooked to a glutenous mush .. I have to assume that a relief chef was working there, as the reviews on Yelp had promised much better than I experienced.

Lodging for the night was at the Ameritel at the intersection of 90 and 95 - a bit out of downtown, but the downtown places were much more expensive. The Ameritel does have a really good pool and hot tub, the room was comfortable and the included breakfast slightly above average (though typical for hotel breakfasts).

Nothing much to report for Monday, day three. I had to get back to Redmond, 300 miles away, and forecast for West of the passes was rain, rain and more rain. Originally I had thought to go back West on 2, over Stevens Pass, but that was going to be a longer, slower trip, so I chose to slab it back on 90.
The first half wasn't too bad - cold, but the rain held off. Not much scenery going over the Columbia Plateau (barren, to say the least ! ) - but then after the Gorge the road gets prettier towards Ellensburg. There the rain started, and the traffic stopped. It was a parking lot from Ellensburg to Cle Elum, 25 mph to Easton, and 45 mph over Snoqualmie .. Memorial Day traffic I guess, there were a lot of RV's on the road. I was nice and warm in my layers, having stopped in George to put on my waterproofs, but with the slow traffic, I couldn't hide from the rain behind the fairing, so I ended up with a fogged up visor for the last 100 miles ... Oh well.

Just over 900 miles total over the weekend - not much, I guess, by the standards of most of the people on this forum - you guys do that in one day, not three, but I had a great time and saw some of the best roads and best scenery that the PNW has to offer. Time well spent.

Riona

With grateful thanks to Squidbuzz for the route !

Very nice trip report......too bad you got caught in the rain on the way home but Memorial Day rain seems to be a PNW tradition. It even rained on the dryside this weekend.

Oh, I forgot my equipment report:

- fuel line to refill other bikes with smaller tanks - not used

- jumper cables to restart bikes whose rookie riders left the ignition on overnight - not used

- visor cleaning liquid and cloths - used for my own helmet only

- copious amounts of patience to deal with other riders going 20 mph below speed limit - not needed

- swimsuit for hot tub - remembered to pack one and used it

- heated jacket liner - had it, used it and grateful for it

- waterproof over jacket and pants - used and grateful for it

- Destination Highways, WA ... very handy to have when plans change

- #5 mm allen wrench - the Ram Bone mount for my GPS was working its way loose so I stopped and torqued it down again

forgotten or missing equipment

- passport ! Too close to Canada not to have it with me !

<snip> - passport ! Too close to Canada not to have it with me !
Whenever you have the urge, we can share some great places and loops up north that are easily reachable over a long weekend!

Lots of opportunities to explore way up 'thar!

--G

Great ride report and pictures. Bravo. Comments:

• Avoiding I-5 to Hwy 20 is a priority so Highway 530 from Arlington, Darrington to Rockport is the standard route to Hwy 20. The alternate is up Hwy 9 to the South Skagit River Hwy a Destination Hwy.
  • Destination Hwy - good for you for having the best book on cycling available. If you don't have the companion map consider getting it.
  • The famous hairpin curve is called the Big Bend. Good idea to be alert here with loose gravel and tar in the chip sealed pavement.
  • Tourist trap well describes Winthrop! Good for you for calling it like it is. School House is a nice place but not on Memorial Day weekend. Next time go on down to Twisp where there is the Twisp River Brew Pub.
  • The set of twisties after Loop Loop Pass is called the Seven Devils. Nice twisties - usually you will find sand and gravel in the turns.
  • 900 miles for the weekend is terrific. Miles don't matter - what matters is you had a great time. I didn't even get on my bike this weekend.

Great ride report and pictures. Bravo. Comments:

• Avoiding I-5 to Hwy 20 is a priority so Highway 530 from Arlington, Darrington to Rockport is the standard route to Hwy 20. The alternate is up Hwy 9 to the South Skagit River Hwy a Destination Hwy.
  • Destination Hwy - good for you for having the best book on cycling available. If you don't have the companion map consider getting it.
  • The famous hairpin curve is called the Big Bend. Good idea to be alert here with loose gravel and tar in the chip sealed pavement.
  • Tourist trap well describes Winthrop! Good for you for calling it like it is. School House is a nice place but not on Memorial Day weekend. Next time go on down to Twisp where there is the Twisp River Brew Pub.
  • The set of twisties after Loop Loop Pass is called the Seven Devils. Nice twisties - usually you will find sand and gravel in the turns.
  • 900 miles for the weekend is terrific. Miles don't matter - what matters is you had a great time. I didn't even get on my bike this weekend.

The more you go, the more you know !

Thanks Riona, excellent RR. Next time come on up - we've got cookies!

My riding buddies couldn't believe I've never done Hwy 20, so it's on our 'to do' list this year.

I apologize for that careless Albertan semi driver who knocked the rusty bridge span into the river on I-5.
smile.png

Al.

Al,

Apology accepted, and for sure my thoughts are turning North - Canadian Rockies are on the agenda for a week over the summer ..

Thanks Riona, excellent RR. Next time come on up - we've got cookies!My riding buddies couldn't believe I've never done Hwy 20, so it's on our 'to do' list this year.

I apologize for that careless Albertan semi driver who knocked the rusty bridge span into the river on I-5.
smile.png

Al.

Hey Al can you send a few more of those drivers down this way? We got a lot bridges are in need of replacement.

The Skagit Bridge is only 1/3 demolished so the truck driver failed miserably! And the permanent fix is to replace only the sunk section so Canadian truckers will have lots more opportunities to improve our failing highway infrastructure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Al can you send a few more of those drivers down this way? We got a lot bridges are in need of replacement.
The Skagit Bridge is only 1/3 demolished so the truck driver failed miserably! And the permanent fix is to replace only the sunk section so Canadian truckers will have lots more opportunities to improve our failing highway infrastructure.
Ha, ha!

Don't want to hijack Riona's RR. But you are right, that Chinese Rustoleum doesn't work.

hi-bridge-fix-skagit.jpg

Been to Kettle falls on business before. I drove from Spokane, I loved that area. One of these days going to have to wonder up there on my bike. Ate at the resturant right next to the grain mill. Nice pictures.

WMM

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

With regards to the # of miles, what difference does that # make? If you were riding on the Interstate and not playing tourist, 900 could easily be done in a day. Riding in the mountains, taking pics and enjoying the scenery eats up miles at a much different rate. You can be a squid, a squirrel or an IBA rider. You just can't do them all at once. Well done.

Thanks for the read...nice pic and narrative.

Don't worry about the miles, just remember the memories.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator: