Possible NAFO Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Dave, what dates are these rides going to take place on. Before NAFO, during, or after. I've got several days planned strictly for riding in Colorado and this looks like something I would like to do!
Whenever you want to do them, or whenever the ride committee decides that they wll be an organized NAFO ride. Or, to be organized by folks hanging around in the evening and deciding what ride they want to do the next day -- that's the fun way!

Dave, you forgot to mention the "I-70 Eastern Colorado Throttle Wide-Open In The-Middle-of-Nowhere (tour to Kansas optional)" ride.

Dave, you forgot to mention the "I-70 Eastern Colorado Throttle Wide-Open In The-Middle-of-Nowhere (tour to Kansas optional)" ride.
That one is easy to plan -- Depart Marriott. Head east, turn right. Head south, turn right. Head east, turn right. Head north, turn right. Arrive Marriott!!!

Thought that I'd bring this back to the top to allow folks to check out some possible rides.

Nice job on the rides...maps, gps downloads. Very impressive. We are looking forward to jumping onto a couple of these during NAFO.

Has anyone else figured out what they are riding (other than the SS1000)?

FWIW, I am looking at doing a ride that will be just over 500 miles on Thursday. NAFO to Rifle, then up to Craig, and then back to NAFO. Leave early, and back for dinner. No lallygagging!

Has anyone else figured out what they are riding (other than the SS1000)?
Yeah. The go-karts. :lol:

I've downloaded several of Dave's excellent looking rides and plan to do at least a couple of them. The National Park ride and the Poudre Canyon ride sound most interesting to me, tho' I may head to Pike's Peak just because it's Pike's Peak.

I won't be doing the Saddlesore because I'm trying a BBG on the way there and don't want to spend the whole trip with monkeybutt. But I'll be rooting for the folks who are, especially the SS virgins. That first one feels pretty cool.

One of the folks had trouble downloading my routes to his Zumo, so I have simplified this process somewhat by creating one file with all of my suggested NAFO routes. Directions for the Zumo (same for most GARMIN GPS units with just some slight variations depending upon the unit):

1. The NAFOall routes file can be found on the following page and is hyperlinked under NOTE2 -- click on it and save the file (remember where) on your computer.

Denver Loop Rides for NAFO

2. Open the saved file in Garmin Mapsource

3. Plug your Zumo into your USB port -- it will go through all of its normal things.

4. In Mapsource:

--TRANSFER, SEND TO DEVICE (routes, waypoints)

5. After transfer is complete disconnect the USB

6. Power up the GPS

7. After a few minutes it will indicate that it has found NEW DATA

8. Select routes.

8. It will ask if you want to import -- YES

9. ALL -- yes

It will then re-calculate the routes, which will now be available in the ROUTES under WHERE TO?

Hope it all works.

Dave

Thanks Dave! your rides look fantastic.

I'm very interested in the Rocky Mountain National Park ride one day and also doing a Pikes Peak and Independence Pass combo the other day.

Maybe a few of us w/similar ride intrests can hook up somehow.....safety in numbers and all that stuff. I normally cower from large group rides...but maybe there are a couple guys like me who prefer to keep the group small, who ride conservative and want to hook up to do these...I'm not much into performance awards.

The SS1K's are a bit much for my old bones, I will likely have put close to 3K on my bike by the time I arrive in Golden and I do want to see and experience some scenic rides while I'm there, I just don't want to ride from sunrise to sunset..then have to ride the 1.5K back home.

Awesome work Dave, thanks so much!! Hope to see you there at some point!

Well, I uploaded some of Dave's files to the zumo today along with some stuff to listen to while crossing the National Flat Preserve. It suddenly feels like I'm really getting ready to go. How do you make a month go faster? :yahoo:

Thanks for the maps-- I can't afford the GPS thingy yet, so I will do the map on the tank bag with turns taped to the gas tank way of navigation.

I rode the Highway of Legends route to SW-FOG in '05. Pretty neat ride, although I don't know why it is called that.

B)

Thanks for the maps-- I can't afford the GPS thingy yet, so I will do the map on the tank bag with turns taped to the gas tank way of navigation.
I rode the Highway of Legends route to SW-FOG in '05. Pretty neat ride, although I don't know why it is called that.

B)
By the way, zzzzip, I notice you're in Hannibal. It looked pretty scary around there on the news today. I hope you and yours are doing okay.