PR-2 80/55ZR-17 B

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobQ

Reaction score
I did a search and found nothing!! Motorcycle Super Store shows the B for the FJR, but no one else does? What is the B really and is it necessary? MSS is out of tires and I need them. Lots of other places have them, but no B.

Please enlighten me!

Thanks Bob

I did a search and found nothing!! Motorcycle Super Store shows the B for the FJR, but no one else does? What is the B really and is it necessary? MSS is out of tires and I need them. Lots of other places have them, but no B.
Please enlighten me!

Thanks Bob

The "B" tire is "suposed" to be the "right" tire for the FJR because of the "load rating" on the tire. The funny thing is that the load rating for the "B" id the same as the regular PR2.

Long story short: the difference is in the number of ply's in the tire. The "B" has three on the tread and two on the sidewall and the regular has two on the tread and one on the sidewall.

As long as you don't weigh 350 lbs., and carry a passenger that weighs 200, don't sweat it.

I got a new set of PR2's today, the regular ones.

Thanks!!

I will order up the regular ones. Should have them this week.

Bob

Given the weight and power of the FJR 1300, the heavier duty "B" spec tire is, in my experience, worth the extra cost.

Recently had to replace a punctured one, and found that they are currently in short supply.

The "B" spec rear was in stock at www.donelsoncycles.com, shipping was free, the price was competitive and the service was excellent.

Jon

Thanks for the reply,

I did check with them, they told me they were actually out of stock and back ordered on the B series, they said that there was no date at this time for shipment, so I guess I have no choice but to try the reg style. They did tell me the regular style should be fine?

Thanks

Bob

I am a dealer for parts unlimited and had a B tire for myself on back order since may. They keep changing the ship date by the week. I am going to probably cancel it as I have gone to a CT. They were on sale at 35% off std. dealer cost at the time. Parts unlimited is a MAJOR supplier to most if not all motorcycle parts sellers, I am not surprised they are not available. BTW ship date is supposed to be the 28th of july. We'll see..............

Best wishes, TBW.

My current non-"B" was made in Thailand, so maybe they'll be cranking out some "B"s fairly soon. I'm sure glad I didn't wait any longer for a "B", which was supposed to have shipped on the 6th, then the 20th....

My current non-"B" was made in Thailand, so maybe they'll be cranking out some "B"s fairly soon. I'm sure glad I didn't wait any longer for a "B", which was supposed to have shipped on the 6th, then the 20th....
+1,+2,+3 Right now, ubtil the 31st Parts Unlimited has a very very good dealer discount program on tires including michelin, they will probobly be on back order for a long time........

It seems metzeler has some sport touring specific tires in their z6 line. they have different part numbers but same sizes. The new part numbers are more money as well.

So I'll throw this out there, would you guys buy the PR2s' in the non B version? or recommend another tire that is available? everyone loves the PR2s so I sort of had my heart set on them.

Bob

So I'll throw this out there, would you guys buy the PR2s' in the non B version? or recommend another tire that is available? everyone loves the PR2s so I sort of had my heart set on them.
Bob
You might call Tim at Two Brothers Tire in Atlanta. They have a web site but only do phone orders now. Good guys and good prices. I got onto them through the ST-owners forum. I've got a B rear PR2 in my garage waiting to go on the FJR. I've got a set of the PR2s (non B rear) now but rear still looks decent with about 11,000 mi. on it. I love the wear of the PR2s but I've not usually been hard on tires (not much chicken strip either). The last Dunlop roadsmart on my ST though only got 6500 mi. or so--terrible for me.

The B rear is about $20 more I think.

doctorj

I have been riding 2up, fully overloaded, on the regular PR2s. That means I load the hell out of the bike and ride hard. The wife and I weigh in at about 450 pounds and carry over a hundred pounds of gear. I am on my fourth set of PR2s without a single problem. No shakes or wobbles, no problems at all. Rode to Nakusp and back then put another 1000 miles on so far this week.

I have faith in these tires. I was riding twisty, tar snake covered roads today at way over the posted speeds. Like taking a 35mph corner at 50mph, 2up, while programing my gps with my left hand, Terri was taking pictures.

No worries, just get some tires and ride the bike.

EDIT: this is my fourth set of PR2s and averaged over 10K miles on each of the first three sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Michelin concerning the "B" tire for the FJR. The B actually has an additional belt running around the tire. It [is] designed for the FJR. It will stiffen the construction of the tire, but in turn should offer higher millage between replacements, possibly rectifying the additional cost

Its funny how those wanting to move to the "Dark Side" are criticized profusely about how saving a lot of money on using a car tire that can last several times longer, on the rear of an FJR (or any motorcycle for that matter) is absolutely insane. Yet when someone saves $20 on not using the PRII "B", they receive the pat on the back, recognizing how unless you ride 2-up or consistently carry heavy loads, spending the additional money on the "B" is a big waste.

For 95% of the motorcycles existence, motorcycles used biased ply tires and they served that purpose very well, yet the mere thought of using a bias ply tire today instead of the higher priced radial design brings mentions of grave concern.

There seems to be something wrong with this picture!

Latest posts