Price Check at Register 3 Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
So, the set BT021's are thankfully at the end of their life and Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so off I went to my boffo dealer who sells hoops at in'nernet prices and mounts and balances them for free. I'm interested in the PR2's or the RS's, so I started perusing the tire racks...

*choke*

I know that the PR2's are spendy and he offers them up at $170 rear, $130 front. Now I find he has a set of the RS's on the shelf for full friggin' list (242/188) and won't budge on the price. Strange, given his prices on all other tires.

So, for those of you who bought your RS's through your brick and mortar dealer, how much did you pay for just the tires? Don't include mounting and balancing.

And yeah, I know all about the on-line deals like parts411.com ($126 rear, $103 front), 'cept they don't mount and balance for free...

TIA,

TWN

At Cycle Gear (Store) they were $125 Front and $160 Rear. I opted for the PR2's and couldn't be happier. Other than the steep price!

JW

So, the set BT021's are thankfully at the end of their life and Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so off I went to my boffo dealer who sells hoops at in'nernet prices and mounts and balances them for free. I'm interested in the PR2's or the RS's, so I started perusing the tire racks...
*choke*

I know that the PR2's are spendy and he offers them up at $170 rear, $130 front. Now I find he has a set of the RS's on the shelf for full friggin' list (242/188) and won't budge on the price. Strange, given his prices on all other tires.

So, for those of you who bought your RS's through your brick and mortar dealer, how much did you pay for just the tires? Don't include mounting and balancing.

And yeah, I know all about the on-line deals like parts411.com ($126 rear, $103 front), 'cept they don't mount and balance for free...

TIA,

TWN
You could always loop the new hoops around your waist and head on up, I don't charge mount & ballance past say an adult beverage or 3 :p

A set of tires mount to the FJR's rear seat area w/ bungee cords... proved that there is a Givi rack or something back there to tie to. BTDT more than once.

Good luck in your quest, Tim

Excuse me, but obviously the dealer saw your thread on the $60K watch. Figuring that anyone even looking at a watch like that was loaded, he then priced your desired tire. You want us to stop the bus and let you get on?

You could always loop the new hoops around your waist and head on up, I don't charge mount & ballance past say an adult beverage or 3 :p
Ooh, now there's an ideer...

Excuse me, but obviously the dealer saw your thread on the $60K watch. Figuring that anyone even looking at a watch like that was loaded, he then priced your desired tire. You want us to stop the bus and let you get on?
Being the driver, I'd think you'd want me to stay on, but if you insist: Geronimo!

My local dealer charges list for everything, doesn't stock Michelins, and would gladly charge me $50 PER TIRE to mount and balance them if I brought in the rims. *cough* that good enough Dr???

The dealer I like reduced his price so that it was $9 more expensive than swmototire per hoop, plus the removal of rims, mount and balance. My PR2s will be put on this Saturday. After hearing and seeing the happy people with those tires at SFO '08, I'm joining that club.

So, the set BT021's are thankfully at the end of their life and Daddy needs a new pair of shoes,

Hey TWN, I'm curious what you found so bad about the BT021s? I was happy enough with the one that's currently approaching the end of its life to order another. I know Jeff Ashe is pretty warm and fuzzy about the new Roadsmarts, but I wasn't sure I'd get enough extra miles out of it to justify the extra expense.

And yeah, I know all about the on-line deals like parts411.com ($126 rear, $103 front), 'cept they don't mount and balance for free...TIA,

TWN

Ya couldn't a mentioned that a week ago before I ordered a BT021??? <_< For that price, I would have definately bought one and tried it out, b'cause I can m&b them myself. I ordered from Chaparal, who usually has good prices, and fast & free shipping. Got the BT021 in 2 days. Crap. Maybe next time. :(

Hey TWN, I'm curious what you found so bad about the BT021s? I was happy enough with the one that's currently approaching the end of its life to order another. I know Jeff Ashe is pretty warm and fuzzy about the new Roadsmarts, but I wasn't sure I'd get enough extra miles out of it to justify the extra expense.
JMO, mind you, but:

Let's see... What's the best thing about the 021's? They fit the rims. <_<

Otherwise, they are slinky in the rear, wear all goofy and as JeffAshe coined so well, they 'walk'. In other words, enter a corner and the tires will 'walk' to where they want to go. Forget that you what to go 'right there', they want to go visit the other side of the corner or decide that you haven't turned in quite fast enough and tighten your line. Further, you can take the same corner twice or thrice and each time the tires react differently.

Maybe it's just my set-up (or me), but these tires are even weirder than the Z6's. Frankly, I think that the FJR is just too heavy for them. I've tried every possible air combo, settling on 45 psi front and rear as the least offensive pressures.

Then again, others love them. :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I priced both roadsmarts and PR2 rears last week 165 and 179 respectively. But the shop owed me so I got a PR2 installed for 87 bucks.

Buy five get one free.... this was number 6.

CycleGear had a 20% off sale on the RoadSmarts last month, so I snatched them for $237/set. :)

Had them mounted yesterday for $40/set. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey TWN,You forgot to mention that the Bridgestone front sucks moist ass cheese.

:)

Hmmmm, I tried moist ass cheese once but didn't care for it. Someone suggested I spread a little Kentucky jelly on it, but that didn't help much either...I just found the taste to be a bit "neutral". :blink:

In all fairness, my '05 came with the BT021 on the rear and an Avon on the front. Just picked the bike up early winter, so haven't had a chance to really put the screws to it, but I like it alot better than the "off-the-rack" Strada! That just might have been the scariest tire I ever rode on! I went through ALOT of rear tires when I had my R1. That bike made me swear off Dunlops for the last 8 years, but I was always happy with tires in the Battleaxe series (BT010s & 012s). They were always grippy, predictable, and just a helluva deal for the price. I got highsided off my R1 3 times in 7 years, and ALWAYS on Dunlops, so I'm having a little internal conflict at the notion of going back to them now. I do however respect the opinion of the "official" FJR forum tire tester. Had I seen that price on the Roadsmart last week, I probably would have bought it instead. (none of my local dealers are even stocking the Roadsmart yet, including Competition Accessories or Iron Pony!) But now there's a brandy-new BT021 in the garage waiting to be installed when I get back from Barber next month, so I reckon I'll make use of it and hope I don't find it as disconcerting at Deal's Gap as you guys say. But I'll certainly keep what's been said here in the back of my mind.

To remind everyone.....
A "BRICK AND MORTAR" STORE...NOT THE NEENERNET...and mounting charges.

Mike, I don't know what the "brick and mortar stores" are like where you live, but around these parts, the service can only be described as an atrocity! That's why I rode 150 miles each way to get my '04 ticker fixed. I wouldn't trust a dealer within 50 miles of here to change a bulb in my bike. I buy spark plugs, 2-stroke oil, and chain lube from them, and that's about it! I've received horrific service from them too many times to give them any more substantial business. Even with my YES contract, I prefer to just fix it myself. If they treated their customers like customers, it would be different. Until that changes, I'll buy my tires off the internet and install them myself. Sorry. Anytime you want to hear dealer horror stories, you just say the word, because I got some doozies.

A local brick and motor I do business with (not a dealer but an independent motorcycle service shop) quoted me $320 for a set. I bought the Roadsmarts from SWMoto for $250, pulled the wheels and had the shop mount/balance the tires for $50 for the set.