Proper procedure for pillion mount and dismount on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it easy to put the bike on the side stand, wife then gets on to the drivers seat and then slides back all the while I have my foot and weight on the side stand. once she is on I put my right leg over and my butt on the seat. With the top case on my wife has a hard time getting on and off with me on the bike first. It works best for us
That's exactly the drill I was going to post; I use it for my inseam-challenged best friend and my daughter as well. For a taller, heavier, passenger I get on first with the sidestand down; they slide on and with their feet on the ground we're well-balanced when I shift the bike and lift the kickstand. I also let them know it's important not to shift their weight or wiggle around when I'm slowing down to a stop.

Kasey

... brief your pillion first...such as DON"T dismount until YOU say so...DON"T lean in the opposite direction to the bike in a turn just go with the flow you won't fall off..
Also when riding you will need to brake a bit earlier and watch you're balance when going slower or coming to a stop you WILL need to concentrate more so. I find if you look forward up the road (as one does) you tend to have a better balance on the bike 1 or 2 up.

Good luck
All good! Keep in mind that working out how to get on is the easy part. Make sure they understand what shifting their weight does.

I find it easy to put the bike on the side stand, wife then gets on to the drivers seat and then slides back all the while I have my foot and weight on the side stand. once she is on I put my right leg over and my butt on the seat. With the top case on my wife has a hard time getting on and off with me on the bike first. It works best for us
Hey that's a great idea! I get off and on all the time with my wife on the back only I have to step up on the pegs since I can't just step over from the ground...shall we say, gracefully :unsure:

I think it really would be easier for her (or anybody) to get on first and just scoot back. Gonna try that tomorrow. Way to think outside the box Bluestreek :good:
The side stand requires enough attention with a bare bike. I like to be on, stands up, and signal that I'm ready for her to mount. Then she grabs on to my shoulders, steps up on the left peg and gets her right leg over, and sits down.

Am I the only one that says "Don't kick the bags"?

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to think about if you have recently got the bike- make sure you get plenty of riding time and get real used to the bike before she gets on. And don't show her what the bike can really do unless she begs for it. Get the piss & vinegar out of your system while you're solo, and ride it like she would when she's on the back.
This is excellent advice but advice that may not be wanted at times. My pillion, who rides her own bike 98% of the time had something interesting to say the first time we went two up on the FJR. We had had it for about a 3 days which had seen me drive it to Denver from Minneapolis where it was purchased, and she had been on the back of my FZ1 for about 10 total miles over the last few years. Anyway, we were going up one of the canyons around here and were bogged down behind 4 cars that were going 30-35 around the turns and 40 in the short straights. The turns are fairly tight and technical so these folks were being prudent but too much so given the conditions. Tina gets antsy with people like this when she drives her 4runner in the hills, and not so much on her bike, but evidently she gets real antsy when behind me on the FJR. We were coming up to a short passing zone that was maybe 1/4 mile (uphill and at 8000' elev) long when I get poked in the side kinda hard and hear. "Make it go #1." That was all the encouragement I needed and in fact was also a command. 2nd gear, 3rd gear, drift back into the right lane, into 4th gear, brake moderately then lean into a fast sweeper at around 85 with a high lean angle and some nice weight transfer going on. Happily she understands weight transfer and has been on a track with her 650r so she even slides over a bit. I developed a lot of respect for the FJR and its 2-up capabilities that day. She developed a healthy respect for my high lean angles and apex molesting. She hadn't really seen that before because when we ride together on separate bikes, I tend to go at a very relaxed pace because I worry about her back there.

Am I the only one that says "Don't kick the bags"?

NO, you're not... :D

I say it too. Everytime... which earns me a nasty look... everytime. One has to protect the bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
i explain to the passenger that i don't care much for a lot of chatter during the ride. then i explain how to lean with me and watch over my inside shoulder on curves. don't be shifting your weight around on corners etc.. after that it's just a matter of teaching them to wave at all the harleys.

derek

... I lean the bike over on the side stand, pushing on the ground with my left foot to keep the bike from leaning any further;.... blah, blah, blah,.... when I feel her put her feet on the pegs, and says "OK. I'm on", I raise the bike off the centerstand, raise the center stand, take off...
I take it those last 2 should have been sidestand as well. Leaning the bike over on the centerstand would be a baaaaad idea.

OOPS!!! You're right. It should have been sidestand.

Brian

I do the same. She is on first, I am off first. She is 5'4" so using the drivers seat to and from the ground is best for her.

-yep, be absolutely ready to go, bike upright, feet firmly planted, *and* right hand holding the brake lever firmly. Have her (hopefully the following is obvious to her) mount the bike from the left, her left foot on the passenger footpeg & swing the rest of the way over (duh). DON'T relax until she is done shifting around on the seat...(this amount of time is proportionate to the amount of ass involved) :lol: ...have an agreed upon signal (verbal/nonverbal/whatever) that she is *completely* settled and ready to roll.
Briano beat me to it (some of the highlights)...all good info...
:poster_stupid: That's what we do!

This is how I get on the back.

1) Wait for Rob to stand the bike up and put the kick stand up.

2) When I notice he's holding the front brake I know he's ready.

3) I get on from the left.

4) I tap his left shoulder. He nods.

5) I leave my left hand on his left shoulder and put my left foot on the peg.

6) I stand up straight, bend my right leg and step directly over the seat. Sort of feels like I'm stepping through.

7) Right foot on right peg and sit down.

Hope this helps,

Brenda