Public Meeting at CHP HQ on Lane Splitting Guidelines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I received an email today after speaking with the CHP officer who is the liaison for the public on the development of lane splitting guidelines authorized by the new law signed last month and discussed to death here. A public meeting will be held in Sacramento on October 5; I plan to attend and it is open to the public. If interested, you need to go through a process, explained below. I'd like to see all the responsible riders who can, come to this. Email follows:

Dear Mr. Sac Mike, (OK, I edited that)

You are receiving this email because you have expressed interest in the Lane Splitting legislation (AB51) recently signed by the Governor. This important topic will be discussed at the upcoming California Motorcyclist Safety Program Advisory Committee meeting on Tuesday, October 5, 2016.

2016 CALIFORNIA MOTORCYCLIST SAFETY PROGRAM

ANNUAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING
California Highway Patrol Headquarters

October 5, 2016, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) is conducting the 2016 Annual California Motorcyclist Safety Program Advisory Committee meeting on Tuesday, October 5, 2016. The meeting will be conducted at CHP Headquarters, 601 North 7th Street, Sacramento, CA 95811, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Members of the public are welcome to attend. However, due to strict departmental security policies, any public member wishing to attend the meeting must be cleared prior to the meeting date. To ensure your name appears on the meeting clearance list, please send your contact information in an e-mail to [email protected] or call CHP Special Projects Section at (916) 843-3370. Please notify the CHP of your interest no later than Wednesday, September 28, 2016.

Additionally, for those who are not able to attend the meeting in person, we have set-up a number for those who would like to call in and listen to the meeting. The telephone number is: 1-877-931-6897 and the participant pass code is: 6175923

Thank you for your interest in motorcycle safety.

Respectfully,

Sergeant Larry Starkey

California Highway Patrol

Motorcycle Safety Unit

601 North 7th Street

Sacramento, California 95811

(916) 843-3368 Direct

(916) 843-3370 Office

(916) 843-3393 Fax

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for keeping us up to date on this Mike, even us out-of-towners. I'd sure like to get some kind of bumper sticker for my bike that somehow expresses support of lane sharing. I know it is too much to hope for that this might spill out beyond the Republik's, but one can always hope.

Thanks Mike. I don't think a letter to the CHP Sergeant above, or an email to the link in the email, could hurt--from anybody. And what I meant when I hoped for support from "responsible" riders was not about the irresponsible members of this forum. There are plenty of those guys who show up to protest helmet laws and that kind of nonsense at the capital all the time. After all, it was largely opposition from the AMA, who didn't want any restrictions at all imposed on lane splitting that stalled passage of the bill last year.

Anyway, if it ever has a chance of spilling out of Cali, it's going to start with this new law.