Pushed off highway today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you anticipated events and made the right moves Salish. Your near-miss sounds eerily like ahchiu's adventure near I-5 / 520 on his '06. He didn't fare as well and unfortunately got clipped.

As much as I'd like to commute on a bike once in awhile, it isn't worth it. Between constantly wet roads, dark / poor visibility / water spray, narrow lanes and [poor] aggressive driving from granola crunching, sandal wearing, tree hugging Prius [meep, meep] drivers...not going to do it.

My head is on a swivel everyplace I ride...along with an "out" so I don't become a hood ornament.

--G

So many of us Bainbridge folks ride because to drive a car onto the ferry every day is a recipe for financial and psychic and family suicide. Costs about $5,000 more a year, destroys your self-control as you sit waiting for a later ferry because although you got there 30 minutes early it is sold out and you get to sit another 90 minutes for the next one, all while your wife and family sit at home missing you for dinner. So many people ride bikes, and motorcycles, to avoid the hell that is driving onto the ferry. If my job wasn't away from downtown I would honestly ride my bike for the exercise. But my office is 8 miles away from downtown and already I'm 6 miles away from the ferry on the island side. I can't take that long, or muster that energy, every day. So I ride my beautiful motorcycle in rather hellish conditions. 28 miles round trip each day, with a ferry ride thrown in. Lucky bastard if you ask me, all things considered.

And I'll add that I knew when I posted this story that some would kindly offer suggestions for safer riding. I appreciate the intent. However, as others here have noticed, there was literally nothing I could have practically done differently to avoid this lady. I was already in my safety bubble, and had good margins front and back. The truth is, as I tried to say above, there are times when you cannot control the variables. No matter our precautions, we can just be unlucky.

I don't mind living in a world where bad luck happens. I know I do. My family, like all of yours, is filled with stories of men who didn't come back from wars and people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time for no damn reason. It's just life.

Today I ordered frame sliders, mirror extenders, and the piaa horns. Always do my best to control the variables I can control.

It's been good connecting with all of you on this today. Smooth roads to you all.

PIAAs are worthwhile; after I installed them on my FJR, I had a similar experience when a cager tried to change lanes into me on a crowded interstate. When I hit the horn, I thought she was going to go through the roof of the car. She jerked the wheel so hard the other way, she almost went onto the shoulder. It didn't help her morale when the guy sitting next to her broke up laughing...

We know the risks we take when we dawn our gear. All we can do is ride on the defensive side, eyes on the swivel, look for an escape route and ATGATT.
I am glad you came out of this Ok.
^^^^^ Correct. Expending energy blaming "stupid, incompetent cagers" and other external forces is a waste of energy. The implication is "I always drive perfectly, it's the other guy who's texting". is counterproductive. Who among us has not driven distracted from time to time? Not just the obvious (talking on cell phone, etc.), but being mentally oblivious. Like thinking about some problem at work or home. Or just zoned out after a long day. These are imperfect people, and so are you and I. I just deal with it and move on.

Staying out of cities is no panacea. We have plenty of accidents of various types here on rural Whidbey Island. Fatal accidents from deer. Fatal collisions in broad daylight. My wife got sideswiped in our Tacoma by a school bus on the Island when the driver had a sudden, unprecedented stroke. It can happen anywhere, any time, often with no real "stupid cager" to blame.

On a riding vacation in Wyoming near Cody, five motorcycles in a line each separated by several hundred feet around noon. The sun was overhead not in anyone's eyes. We all ride daytime with our high beams on. I'm the fourth in line and we approach a T intersection on our right. There is a vehicle stopped approaching us, to make a left turn and waits for the first three bikes to pass. We're travelling at highway speed 50/60 mph. The driver making the left hand turn starts to make his turn as I approach (fast). I can't avoid him to the right without hitting him. Then I see his utility trailer he is pulling block the way past him on the left. My next option is to take the shoulder on the left hand side of the road except the vehicle that was stopped behind this idiot is using it to pass the guy on his right! I'm left with nowhere to go! I still wonder what he was thinking or why he didn't apparently see me? Thank god for great brakes on motorcycles! We don't carry in Canada but that time I really wish I could! The five of us talked about that incident for a long time into the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a riding vacation in Wyoming near Cody, five motorcycles in a line each separated by several hundred feet around noon. The sun was overhead not in anyone's eyes. We all ride daytime with our high beams on. I'm the fourth in line and we approach a T intersection on our right. There is a vehicle stopped approaching us, to make a left turn and waits for the first three bikes to pass. We're travelling at highway speed 50/60 mph. The driver making the left hand turn starts to make his turn as I approach (fast). I can't avoid him to the right without hitting him. Then I see his utility trailer he is pulling block the way past him on the left. My next option is to take the shoulder on the left hand side of the road except the vehicle that was stopped behind this idiot is using it to pass the guy on his right! I'm left with nowhere to go! I still wonder what he was thinking or why he didn't apparently see me? Thank god for great brakes on motorcycles! We don't carry in Canada but that time I really wish I could! The five of us talked about that incident for a long time into the night.
And who says violence never settles anything?

A lot of good info here. The PIAA horns are very loud. I have a pair. I also have read Hough's books - good reads on how to stay safe.

I tend to ride in the slow lane on the freeways as I find it safer especially in moving traffic. The aggressive nut jobs who think they own the road will migrate to the "fast" lane and that is not the right lane. The right lane will also give you a large shoulder and you only have to watch the on ramps, to your rear, front and left but not to your right - a 25% improvement in where you have to watch. Having a large semi in front of you doing about 60 mph is not a bad deal either from a safety perspective.

I will ride in the HOV lane when traffic is all messed up and I prefer the right side of that lane to give folks who are to my right a chance to see me. Riding to the right in the HOV lane trick is learned while in my cage being passed by a police officer on a motorcycle.

I gave up riding to work years ago due to the hazards and lack of cost or time incentives.

Just my two cents.

Keep in mind with that last comment that riding anywhere in proximity to a Semi is a greater risk. Semis have retread tires that sometimes have pieces break off for no apparent reason. I've seen any number of stories of riders going down to truck tire pieces. Also you will be in the way of more dumb cages that are making what I call a suicide charge from the left to the right so they can get to an exit that they didn't see til the last second.

Personally I think that the far left lane is safer on a limited access highway with three or more lanes in ear direction. In the far left lane you no longer need to watch for a lane changing cage on your left and less people have a reason to cut across in a suicide charge.

After 38 years driving combination vehicles you would be amazed at all the things that I have seen flying around on the highway. Coming up behind and passing a semi on the bike is something that needs to happen fast. Don't hang around large vehicles that block your vision. Vision is limited beside and behind a truck if you can't see the driver in his mirrors he can't see you.

A word of caution for anyone coming to the WV Ramble is the oil field trucks that are everywhere here. If you can kick a tire there is a job open. We have water trucks galore hauling fresh water to the wells and so called brine back to the disposal wells.

A word of caution for anyone coming to the WV Ramble is the oil field trucks that are everywhere here. If you can kick a tire there is a job open. We have water trucks galore hauling fresh water to the wells and so called brine back to the disposal wells.
In WV, SE Ohio or both?

Which is worse?

Last edited by a moderator:
In WV, SE Ohio or both?Which is worse?
Both, and you can add PA to that list.Nothing like getting behind a convoy of 8-10 tankers hauling who knows what.

Five in line, you're number four; nowhere to go; thank god for good brakes... Yes, all of this, but also thank god for Rider #5 (and his good brakes) who was behind you being alert enough to the situation to not cream you from the rear! I like to ride with other good riders who can keep themselves out of trouble AND not create trouble for the other riders around them.

I installed my pair of PIAA slim line horns last night, and no joke, I used them twice today. Once somewhat casually to let someone know I was there, and once because I guy was signalling and moving into my lane right next to me. Both of them responded as hoped, and stayed away. It's a good tool to have. And since I don't live in Boston, people around here are not at all used to hearing car horns!

Glad your OK, Ditch the OEM horn and install a set of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067BWBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plug and play.

Stay safe out there!
PIAA also makes the slimeline version of these horns, which I have. They are perhaps even easier to install. Similar specs and also plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/85114-400Hz-500Hz-112db-Sports/dp/B004FXMGLY/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425941900&sr=1-3&keywords=piaa+horn

Glad your OK, Ditch the OEM horn and install a set of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067BWBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plug and play.

Stay safe out there!
PIAA also makes the slimeline version of these horns, which I have. They are perhaps even easier to install. Similar specs and also plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/85114-400Hz-500Hz-112db-Sports/dp/B004FXMGLY/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425941900&sr=1-3&keywords=piaa+horn
Thanks Rich for the link.

Good morning all, have to say.........too many smart folks here that tend to over think shit. Why, why, why you curse. Well simple, 15 years ago when I became an EMT, my Medic gave me the best advise............

When responding to or transporting to with lights and sirens always remember these 3 things: the average driver seldom checks their mirrors, the modern car interior is almost sound proof, freaking people out can cause an accident which can delay or prevent response or transport.

What does this have to do with motorcycle riding?.......Everything.

Our bikes are smaller than the average blind spot built into vehicles, loud horns and bright colors won't save your ass, and getting pissed off at the average driver for making unintended mistakes only gives you acid reflux.

.........on average, 80% of "crashes" are the riders fault.....a tough stat to eat.

In conclusion: your OEM FJR1300 as is....a very safe ride. You have a shit load of pony's at your control, use them. I'm of the more gas than breaks school of thought when riding in traffic. I always see "Head on a Swivel" but it only works when you're listening to that "Little Voice in Your Head". Always look, listen and enjoy the ride. As FJR riders, we are a cut above the rest.

As always;

Good morning all, have to say.........too many smart folks here that tend to over think shit. Why, why, why you curse. Well simple, 15 years ago when I became an EMT, my Medic gave me the best advise............When responding to or transporting to with lights and sirens always remember these 3 things: the average driver seldom checks their mirrors, the modern car interior is almost sound proof, freaking people out can cause an accident which can delay or prevent response or transport.

What does this have to do with motorcycle riding?.......Everything.

Our bikes are smaller than the average blind spot built into vehicles, loud horns and bright colors won't save your ass, and getting pissed off at the average driver for making unintended mistakes only gives you acid reflux.

.........on average, 80% of "crashes" are the riders fault.....a tough stat to eat.

In conclusion: your OEM FJR1300 as is....a very safe ride. You have a shit load of pony's at your control, use them. I'm of the more gas than breaks school of thought when riding in traffic. I always see "Head on a Swivel" but it only works when you're listening to that "Little Voice in Your Head". Always look, listen and enjoy the ride. As FJR riders, we are a cut above the rest.

As always;
I can't agree with a couple of your points.

1) Bright lights and colors and loud horns do help. They improve the odds of getting the driver's attention before the crash. A startled driver is a lot better than a bumper in your knee.

2) All of the excuses for careless and inattentive driving do not let the driver off the hook. I don't care how quiet the interior of the car is or how big the blind spot is, or anything else, a driver is responsible to know what is going on around him before he pulls out or changes lanes. I agree that we will always be the loser in a crash with a car regardless of who caused the crash, and that means that we must be constantly vigilant, but I will not accept that the driver has a valid excuse because he wasn't paying enough attention.