Question about 190/55ZR-17 on a GEN 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
I'm about to replace the rear tire I had punctured in Arkansas a couple of weekends ago and have always planned on going to a PS3 190/55ZR-17. Anyone done this on the Gen 3 yet?

My only concern is with the height increase of the tire on the Gen 3 specifically. Because the Gen3 is now easier to get on the center stand and doesn't need to be raised as much to do so, does this new tire still clear the ground enough to get a solid footing on the center stand?

What is your clearance with the 180/55 on your Gen3 up on center?

You're going to only gain about an additional 3/4 to 1", so I would check for that much allowance available when up on your center stand.

IMG_20130330_150952_635_zpsb3e01954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Works fine! Even easier to get on the centerstand and you can still spin the rear when up!!

Handling remains pretty much the same. Just ordered a spare Bridgestone T30 in the same size to backup the 023GT on it now.
punk.gif

Works fine! Even easier to get on the centerstand and you can still spin the rear when up!!
Handling remains pretty much the same. Just ordered a spare Bridgestone T30 in the same size to backup the 023GT on it now.
punk.gif
Where are you ordering T30 tires from?

Where are you ordering T30 tires from?
Technical Administrative Note: If anybody wondered how an otherwise never-before-discussed original post topic would land in NEPRT in 4 posts....this would be a textbook case. If it were different than a tire thread I might invoke rule #10 to try and keep it on the fairly narrow point, but since the OP posed as a generic open-ended "Question about...." type thread title...it's new home is set and life will probably drift further akimbo.

Just sayin'.....no action is required. But if folks want their threads to have some hang time--a well summarized title sometimes helps keep it on point. Carry on.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so I'm clear for future posts, I should've include the center stand portion of question in the title as well?

BTW, I did a google: "site:fjrforum 190/55" search for post in the last year hoping to see something about Gen 3's only. Guess I need more practice.

Thanks all.

Just so I'm clear for future posts, I should've include the center stand portion of question in the title as well?
It helps a board of our size tremendously if you summarize the question in the thread title--yes. :)

BTW, I did a google: "site:fjrforum 190/55" search for post in the last year hoping to see something about Gen 3's only. Guess I need more practice.

Thanks all.
Personally I thought your question and title were fine. Many posts here have way less definition.

Yours was new (for both the Gen3 and 190/55) as far as being up on center stand. I see and have NO idea why this would even go into the "Never Ending Pointless" Oh well, in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Marty you may be right, this place is going to hell in a handbasket quickly!

I've seen the 190/55 subject come up before and been curious. Why run the 190/55 instead of the 190/50? More ground clearance?

I've seen the 190/55 subject come up before and been curious. Why run the 190/55 instead of the 190/50? More ground clearance?
It has been said before in other 190/55 Threads (so you won't get Rule 10'd)

But yes, more clearance is one of them, the handling is different as well. As I (and others who have done this mod) also claim a better turn-in on the curves. Some naysayers claim it only add to the costs of your tire purchase. Toss the coin, but I'm stick'n with the Fatty's.

But yes, more clearance is one of them, the handling is different as well. As I (and others who have done this mod) also claim a better turn-in on the curves. Some naysayers claim it only add to the costs of your tire purchase. Toss the coin, but I'm stick'n with the Fatty's.
Fair enough, thanks.

I suppose I could have phrased the question better to make it more relevant to the topic, i.e. why not run the 190/50 and avoid the issue?

No hijack intended.

Fair enough, thanks.

I suppose I could have phrased the question better to make it more relevant to the topic, i.e. why not run the 190/50 and avoid the issue?

No hijack intended.
No no, the 190/50 would not only be narrower but shorter as well defeating the gain mentioned.

I know u were not jacking, I was kinda being facetious.

The 190/50 is the same width as a 190/55, but has a lower profile.190 is tire width in mm and 50 is tire height as a percentage of width. This makes the tire wider than the 180/55 but about the same height, creating a wide flat cross section. This can make turn in require more effort to get the tire up on the edge. The 190/55 has a rounder cross section and requires less effort to roll to outside.

I went fatside about a year ago when a vendor shipped me the "wrong" size (190/55) inadvertently. I didn't know of anyone who had done it at that time but decided to try it. I liked it!