Question about Cee Bailey windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a V-Stream on mine a few weeks ago. Cut a lot of turbulance, but still more noise than I like :angry2: Bugs me some that my "touring" bike is noisier wind-wise than my "sport bike" ('Course I can't stay on the sportbike for over 125 miles or so before numbbutt sets in :rolleyes: ) There's gotta be a combo of shield and helmet out there somewhere that would provide a calm AND quiet ride :glare: . Like many others, I'm still searching.....

Harald,
How wide is your C/B with the flip. I have the same dimensions as you. I had a +4wide +2tall w/flip for a while but it was too big. Maybe the width was the problem.

Do you have a picture of your shield on the bike?
No time to mount the CB shield on my bike for pictures, but here's two quick shots holding the CB in front of my Vstream winter shield. The CB is +2 high with flip and +0 wide. Note that I went to the extra effort to get both shields nice and dirty so they can be seen better in photos. It was a lot of work, but no thanks required. :rolleyes: All in the name of service to the FJR community. :yahoo:

cb_vs_vstream_front.jpg

cb_vs_vstream_side.jpg

Just a note on the VStream. I was riding over a local mountain a couple of weeks ago through a snow flurry. VStream advertising makes a big deal about how the upper corners are shaped and flip out to swirl the air away from the rider. Riding in the snow was like being in a wind tunnel and you could see the paths of the flakes actually swerve away. I had a CB +4+4 on the 2004 bike and the VStream on my 2007 is much better as a winter shield, at least for the way I fit my particular bike. Obviously, ymmv.

Jeff Q

Nice pic!

But Please - :blink: No need to be so descriptive - Just let them words flow!

At 5'10" I find the CB +2+2 adequate for most conditions tho a +4 tall would be nice for colder temps. Also, if you're concerned about the durability of the CB, don't be. I bounced a buzzard (you know the big honkin' 5' wingspan vulture-looking things?) off the windscreen last Sunday. Never saw him coming. Hit the center of the screen and slid up to the left. I had just enough time to duck down to the right so I got glanced at the top left of the helmet. Anywho, no breakage, no cracking, and the scuffs buffed right out with some PlastX. Luckily the big bassturd didn't have time to puke before I was down the road.

I am 5'11" but ride with the seat in the high position on my 2006 FJR. The C Baily I have is a +4+2 and have a pretty decent picture here on how it compares to the stock (non touring Yamaha screen).

I ordered the +4 thinking that if I found it too high, I could cut it down. So far I have left it alone. It is a huge difference from the stock screen, and my wife notices a difference on the back. Another thing I have noticed is that the wider (+2) screen helps with rain protection on your hands.

I would recomend one for sure. Mine has the blue tint that fits well with my bike. Top quality finish. I can't say enough on how it improves wind noise & protection on the FJR.

bikepics-1231830-full.jpg

bikepics-1231829-full.jpg

I will dig this thread up from the grave because I just went from my VStream to a Cee Bailey Sportshield. Got it from another forum member here. It is very short and I was skeptical about it. I like the VStream but it was way too hot here in TX and it was also a bit noisey, because in the low position it directs the air flow to a point about right near the middle of my helmet, and that's noisey, but not too bad. I am 6'2. I had it installed with Skyway spacer's and found them helpful on getting more air and less back pressure. However, there still is back pressure when the screens gets near to full up.

I absolutely love the short shield. It is the most comfortable shield I have had on the bike. It doesn't look like much physically but it does a tremendous job. ZERO buffeting in any position. Noise is constant as the helmet is always in clean air. When it is all the way up it lifts the air up to about my face shield so my whole torso is relieved of any pressure. The FJR also looks great with it on.

At the same time, in the full down position you can lean into the wind on the highway and let it support you. I have noticed a lot of taller riders have a tough time finding a good shield on the FJR. For under 6' riders I think the big screens work for them. Too much noise for a lot of taller guys.

Try what I did and do a 180 and try the SHORTEST shield you can get. You'll be surprised. Wife also likes it better on the back than the VStream.

For the cold months in MN I will put the VStream on as it's a great all-weather shield and keeps you warm. Rest of the time, I will keep this shortie on.

I am 5'11" but ride with the seat in the high position on my 2006 FJR. The C Baily I have is a +4+2 and have a pretty decent picture here on how it compares to the stock (non touring Yamaha screen).
I ordered the +4 thinking that if I found it too high, I could cut it down. So far I have left it alone. It is a huge difference from the stock screen, and my wife notices a difference on the back. Another thing I have noticed is that the wider (+2) screen helps with rain protection on your hands.

I would recomend one for sure. Mine has the blue tint that fits well with my bike. Top quality finish. I can't say enough on how it improves wind noise & protection on the FJR.

bikepics-1231830-full.jpg

bikepics-1231829-full.jpg

that is is down position correct?

I have a Baily on my o8,i ordered +4 wider +2 hiher wirth flip.PERFECT.No buffit

QUOTE (Baz @ Feb 27 2009, 03:40 AM)

that is is down position correct?

Correct. These photo's show the both shields in the down position. I have just placed one of the shields on top of the other for the photo.

Another thing I should add. The current shield gives a great deal more protection from the rain. As mentioned, the Cee Baily is +2" wider than stock which directs rain past the handlbars. (I have also installed V-Strom hand protectors and even in a rain storm, my hands stay dry.

For those of you in warm climates, this shield may be hot. I live in a place that gets 7 months a year of winter.

Here is another view with the Cee Baily in the down position.

bikepics-1418874-800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: