rainsuit vs separate pants/jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Reaction score
Thinking of getting either a one piece rainsuit or separate components. I would think the one piece probably has less potential for water invasion, but might be hotter to wear. Anybody out there used both and cares to comment? Also, I have read about issues with zippers breaking or leaking thru. Anyone have good results with any particular brands for build quality and protection from the wet weather?

Separates are easier to get into.

But in my experience, better to forego the raingear and get riding gear that is waterproof, so no rainsuit needed.

But in my experience, better to forego the raingear and get riding gear that is waterproof, so no rainsuit needed.

I'va had both. I went with the REI gortex (or their version). Works great and since it is fabric, they don't rip or tear in the wind. Currently using a 2 piece over my leather suit. I prefer rinding in leather to my Aerostich roadcrafter one piece. But that is a personal preference. I also found it very hard to get a one piece that fit properly over the leather suit. The two piece fits great.

Note: Aerostitch does make a leather suit that is waterproof (they didn't have it available when I bought the Roadcrafter).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 piece FroggToggs and one advantage of the 2 piece is that, on the FJR anyway, you can often get by with just the top in light rain. Also I often use just the top against the wind/cold.

I have 2 piece FroggToggs and one advantage of the 2 piece is that, on the FJR anyway, you can often get by with just the top in light rain. Also I often use just the top against the wind/cold.
Yeh. I have Frogg Toggs too. GREAT for light rain. Useless in a serious rain. IMO, of course. (BTW, if the thing actually IS waterproof, 2-piece is fine, function-wise. I've never had water get in there.)

I use the 2 piece offered from Motoport, so far so good, even in the heavyest rain it has'nt leaked.........(knocks on wood)...........yet, and it's 2 years old already!

Yeh. I have Frogg Toggs too. GREAT for light rain. Useless in a serious rain.
My Frogg Toggs 2-piece would fine, if the pants didn't have gaping great holes for pockets! WTF? I've had to duct-tape them closed.

The FTs are a lot cooler, which is a big plus in Florida summers. You don't feel like you're sweating to death in a trash bag. Plus they don't make the annoying noises when you walk like the Tourmaster PVC stuff does. I always hated walking down the long corridor at work going swiiitt, swiiitt, swiiitt with every step. They're worth it for that alone.

I've never had a one-piece tall enough to fit me, at 6'2". I remember trying on a BMW XXXXXL (yes, 5 Xs) and it was still too short in the spine, giving me the wedgie from hell when I sat on the bike and reached for the controls.

I vote for two piece. I have a high quality one piece and I never use it. Why? Because along the highway trying to put the damn thing on is a Pain. Gotta take off my boots, its bulky, and doesn't fit well under my protective riding jacket. Its advantage tho is you will stay dry from the rain but may sweat to death while its on.

Bill

I've got a 1 piece Motoboss XXL rainsuit that I'll let you have for shipping costs. I'm 6'1", 170 lbs w/ 36" inseam and it fits ok, but don't expect tailored fitting, however there is velcro to help adjust for sizing. I used it a couple of times while living in AZ, but was just too hot for me to use. It's PVC so don't expect it to breathe, but is one way to try one out.

2 Piece

It's one of those layering efforts we go through, but really try to minimize for an easier day on the road...

No one wants to dress up/ dress down too much in one day.

Even with a calf zipper, the wet boots and rain pants won't separate easily.

Tipping point for me was being able to at least partially peel off the wet gear and cool off the upper body when I stop indoors for a quick break.

After the rain stops, I'll often leave the rain pants on but switch back to my vented coat. Only after the weather has cleared up, do I take the time to put the rain pants away.

+1

I went through numerous rainsuits of varying quality before just using First Gear TPG pants and either an armoured mesh or TPG jacket. I always have on my rainproof boots so from waist down is not an issue. And, even on hot days I keep my other jacket in the saddlebag.

For the money I've spent trying to save I coulda had a 'stitch...

Tourmaster Defender 2 piece. Thick enough it doesn't flap in the wind, and it packs thin.
+1 on the defender. not the best made, but for 65 bucks its a decent 2 piece. i like the 2 piece because there are times i want just a jacket on a cold morning and keep the pants around for rain. a 2 piece setup just allows for more options.

Greygoose

As others have said, Tourmaster Defender 2-piece. I have been in a few frog-stranglers wearing this thing and nary a drop of water touched my flesh. Be warned, it only lets some of your natural perspiration out, so you may be sweaty at the end of a long ride in this suit.

Thinking of getting either a one piece rainsuit or separate components.Anyone have good results with any particular brands for build quality and protection from the wet weather?
I went through numerous rainsuits of varying quality before just using First Gear TPG ...For the money I've spent trying to save I coulda had a 'stitch...
I'm with the Chief on that -- :rolleyes:

The money I spent on 'good enuff ' rain suits -- over and over -- only to, still, get wet... :eek:

I finally broke down and bought a good one: a Rukka (from Finland) and it was excellent. I used it for years and finally gave it to my dad -- he kept dry, too.

It (one-piece, btw) had a couple things going for it:

• good size, big enough
  • well made, heavy plastic-like
  • cloth-like material fixed to the inner skin (facilitating easy ingress/egress)
I'm not sure if Rukka still supplies an old-style m/c rainsuit?

Whatever you get, a good one is money well-spent (I think).