Replace my Zumo 550 with ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious to how you think you can "easily program the GPS to show the info you want."
I think that, because, that's how my 660 is set up. When I have a route plugged in, my GPS shows directions along the top. Just below that on the right is the current time. To the right of that is a box with "Arrival Time." Below that is "Via Distance," below that "Time to Via," below that is "Speed." Next to speed is the posted speed limit.
If its just on and not navigating, next to the current time is "Max. Speed," below that is "Heading," below that is, "Elevation," and below that is "Speed" with the posted speed limit displayed just to that box''s left. I chose each one of those settings. Each box shows the data I want it to show. They are not "fixed."

Go to Settings. Then push the "Map" button. On the right is an option for "Data View." Choose "More Data View." This will give you all the options I have showing. Once that view is up, touch the box, find what you want it to show, and a blue checkmark will show up. When you go back to the map, what you chose will show.

Super easy, and if a Garmin Tech Support employee didn't know that option was available, that person is an idiot.

Anyway...THAT'S how I think what I told you is possible. Go try it. You'll be amazed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and each box is programmable with whatever box I want to show from that secondary trip computer. I could make every box show "Max.Speed" if I wanted to. Any box in that secondary view can be placed in one of the four boxes on the main screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
You Da Man! I got it now. The manual that came with mine did not show this at all. It did mention the "Map Detail" setting but not how to make the changes as you described. Thanks again.

Now you know how Garmin hired their minimum wage tech support : "read the manual and answer the phone. "

You Da Man! I got it now. The manual that came with mine did not show this at all. It did mention the "Map Detail" setting but not how to make the changes as you described. Thanks again.

I had a 550 for years. It died last year and it was time to move on so I got a 590. It took a while to warm up to it but it works great, actually better than the 550. A couple of weeks ago the 590 died, but Garmin will replace it for free and life goes on. I still have the 550 but it would cost $100 to fix and doesn't have all the features of the newer models. For instance I put over 2200 songs on a 32 gig chip and play my tunes using the 590. Sometimes it is hard to see the future when because we like what we have.

I bet you could get 20% off a 595 by calling Garmin support and offering your 550 as upgrade meat. I should have done that rather than waiting for it to die.

Honest to God, I don't think my manual described any of that either. I'm one of those guys who can't leave things alone, so I think I just played with it and figured stuff out. Once you know how to use it, it's an awesome GPS. Glad that worked for you! Still amazed that Garmin's tech support left you hanging. WTF?!?

Did you know that from any screen, if you push and hold the map button, it goes straight back to the map? You don't have to hit back 3 times to go back. I think that part is actually in the dumb book! Lol.

"To quickly return to the Menu page, push and hold Back."

As for support from Garmin, I had good luck with emailing the support guys. Took a day or two but they always had the answer. I had email addresses from a couple of the guys who helped out with my old NAV III. This time I was impatient and phoned.
nea.gif