Rick Mayer vs Rich's Custom Seat for FJR??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Rich's seat. I did the ride in appt last fall and couldn't be happier with the whole experience. Rich is quite a character and certainly knows what he is doing. The seat looks great and is of very high quality (of course it should be for the price). As for comfort, I am not quite there yet. I can only get about an hour out of it before I start to "notice" my ass. I am planning on making an appt to get it adjusted. Rich was adamant that I bring it back if there are any comfort issues. It doesnt sit me up any higher and I do not slide forward anymore. I am 6'4" & 240.
So, as soon as I get some time I am going back for a re-fit.

Edit: Hell, I'll even show it off....

richsseat.jpg
Is that vinyl or leather?

Grazi!

I have a Rich's seat. I did the ride in appt last fall and couldn't be happier with the whole experience. Rich is quite a character and certainly knows what he is doing. The seat looks great and is of very high quality (of course it should be for the price). As for comfort, I am not quite there yet. I can only get about an hour out of it before I start to "notice" my ass. I am planning on making an appt to get it adjusted. Rich was adamant that I bring it back if there are any comfort issues. It doesnt sit me up any higher and I do not slide forward anymore. I am 6'4" & 240.

richsseat.jpg
Is that vinyl or leather?

Grazi!

Leather

I went to Rich's in '03 after HMarc posted up pics of the whole procedure on the old website. The seat has been a perfect fit since the day I rode home afterwards and that's six years ago. The leather covering still looks like new.

Several friends of mine had theirs done on my recommendation and although two had some issues with the fit and finishing details Rich re-worked until the customer was satisfied.

Kasey

My appointment at Rich's is this Saturday, 0830.

I'm riding in Friday (300 miles from Spokane).

I'll do a complete review of the ride and process next week and let you know.

I believe you already have some good answers here though.

My appointment at Rich's is this Saturday, 0830.
I'm riding in Friday (300 miles from Spokane).

I'll do a complete review of the ride and process next week and let you know.

I believe you already have some good answers here though.
... patiently waiting for all the details! B)

Hope it turned out to be just what you have been looking for, and your comments may well be the decision maker for me (also here in old Spokaloo). I'm wavering between Rich's and Russell Day-Long seats down in the Redding, CA area.

Don

I made my appointment for 5/30 to have mine adjusted (tried to get this Sat so we could have 2 Ravens there, but they were booked). I will report back how it goes...

Feel free to ride on up Knucklehead. I'll be there all morning, love to meet ya! :)

I have a friend from HS who rides a Harley and looks like one of the ZZTop guys who will be there too.

Should be fun.

Gerry

I made my appointment for 5/30 to have mine adjusted (tried to get this Sat so we could have 2 Ravens there, but they were booked). I will report back how it goes...

Ok, wow, what a day. I'm at my sister's in Edmonds, WA so I can't post pics yet or do a proper post. Although, I must say, the seat looks great, and I had a wonderful experience (not any doubt before starting the process) and I'm looking forward to my 300 mile ride home tomorrow.

The weather sucked today! Rain, in Seattle, WTF?

Anyway, it took a full 8 hours because Rich had 5 bikes in the shop with one having two seats made and one reshaping for a former client. Long day but rather fun talking with folks and comparing bikes.

I will post the pics and my complete experience next week.

Stay tuned for pics of the new seat on the 08 FJR.

Enjoy your weekend.

richsseat.jpg
I have a Rich's appt next Wednesday and I have a few questions for you Knuck.

1. Are you happy with the seat?

2. Do you feel the seat is wider in the nose than the stock seat?

3. Does the 'bucket' part of the seat tend to keep you in one spot (I find on the stock seat I like to move around a bit)?

4. Does the 'bucket' feel like its further from the handlebars than the stock seat (I tend to ride close to the nose on my stock seat)?

5. Does your seat add or take away any seat height relative to the ground?

Thanks Mate! :)

I have had 4 Rusells, 1 Bill Mayer and 1 Rick Mayer.

Wouldn't do Rick again, the seat was okay, better than stock but not great. The service was lousy.

Bill Mayer seat on a V-Strom was very good and service was excellent.

Russell has just been awesome. Excellent customer service and although I sent one or two of them back for adjustments, overall they have been much more comfortable. Many 1k + days.

I've got a Rick Mayer currently. I sent it back for one adjustment. It is still not where I want it to be but I have put 40k miles on it. I'm buying a new to me 07 next week that has a Corbin on it. If it doesn't do the trick for me I will be going straight to a Russell.

richsseat.jpg
I have a Rich's appt next Wednesday and I have a few questions for you Knuck.

1. Are you happy with the seat?

2. Do you feel the seat is wider in the nose than the stock seat?

3. Does the 'bucket' part of the seat tend to keep you in one spot (I find on the stock seat I like to move around a bit)?

4. Does the 'bucket' feel like its further from the handlebars than the stock seat (I tend to ride close to the nose on my stock seat)?

5. Does your seat add or take away any seat height relative to the ground?

Thanks Mate! :)
I am moderately happy with it. I took it back in for an adjustment last weekend and it got a little better, but it still doesn't feel right. Rich added a piece up front that rotates my hips back a little and that got rid of my butt going to sleep, but now it feels like I am sitting on a lump. I will probably take it back again. As I mentioned before, the customer service is outstanding and I know that Rich wants to make it right. Maybe I just have a weird ass.

The seat is a bit wider in the front and I do stay put in the pocket. Before I took it back I didn't feel like I sat farther back, but with the mod I think I am sitting back a bit farther as I feel like I have to reach a little for the bars. As far as height, I think it is about the same.

If you can find your way to the Redmond area during the day, you are welcome to come sit on it....

Last edited by a moderator: