Ride out to Vancouver and back.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesgts1000

Reaction score
Just got back from a month long ride from Vancouver BC, long mostly wet trip! Set off on a Monday morning and had decided to ride out through the U.S. As the recent weather running through Canada and the flooding near Winnipeg and the top end of Ontario made me think twice of taking that route. Rode over the border at Fort Erie into Buffalo, cool early start but nice blue sky, by the time I reached Cleveland Ohio things changed! It was to be the start of my very wet ride west, it absolutely poured down and cooled down into the low teens, stopped over in South Bend to dry out! Early start to try and clear Lake Michigan and Chicago (forecast said Rain, fog and cold) they were right, it threw it down all the way across and through Chicago. After getting through the tolls and traffic decided to change my planed route up to Duluth to pick up hyw.2 and ride west along it. Turned out towards Rockford away from the lake as I thought that the wet and misty weather was maybe just hanging there. Around lunchtime I'd made it to Rockford and was right, the rain quit and the sun began to appear, turned north to hyw 3 had a great afternoon on a quiet road, no cars or trucks just the odd horse and buggy (Amish country) by supper time I stopped for gas and check out where to head for the night. Checked the forecast for the evening and next day, bad news again, storms coming in, changed of my nice country road and headed for the biggest town around Manchester, found a motel just before the storm arrived. Rain gear donned and off on the 90 for a day of rain and cool again, it was a strain to see ahead it was raining that hard but carried on only stopping for gas and food! Needless to say this proceeded to be the case for most of the ride out with a couple of exceptions, I'd become the "Rainman" ! I'll post another section of the trip later when I have time, I did have some good sections without rain but not many.
Mike S.