Ride your own Ride - To Avila Beach

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdfrantz

Reaction score
Hi, Folks,

I posted this on the BMWSportTouring.com forum. The have a "riding techniques" form there, Riding Well that I enjoy reading and contributing to. Wish we had one here too.

Anyway, there's a tale here about our FJR group's ride up to Avila Beach for paella that I hope you'll enjoy. As for the rest of it... Well, I hope that's of some use, and enjoyable too.

Best wishes.

I had and interesting experience this weekend that pointed up to me how much more important Policy is than Rules, and the extensive value of Principals and Fundamentals. Earlier today I posted about the broader applicability of the principal "Keep Riding - Never Give Up" than we usually give to it - What to do when things go to hell in a handbasket. "Keeping in the Game", "Doing Riding", when we actually do that, is how we can keep from getting into the more dire cirucmstances that now demand we pay full attention, and keep managing our progress through What's Out There. In other words, fully and always doing, "Keep Riding" is how we stay out of most Troubles.

Well, there's another one, another Fundamental, that has that "further applicability". Principals are just that, "first things", things which (wisely) lay at the bottom of perhaps a hierarchy of actions, decisions, or understanding, in realms of increasing complexity and/or broader applicability. Fundamentals are things rooted in Principals, such as ideas, concepts, basic actions and such from which other more complext things are built and flow. The word Fundamental shares its root with Fountain. "Ride your own Ride" is one of these actions that is more broadly applicable than ussually thought about. That's because it is rooted in deeply valuable Principals.

Here's a tale:

Saturday, I joined a group of California riders from FJRForum.com for a gathering in Avila Beach for Paella. Steve1150 from BMWSportTouring.com has led some groups there. Delightful spot. Great food. And it's reached through gorgeous contryside.

"Our group" met in Ventura off the 101 freeway at Victoria for a 9AM departure. Other groups headed down from CenCal, and other groups formed from rider's accumlating northward from San Diego, and so on.

We delayed departure for a few straggling arrivals and then headed up CA-126 for Ojai. There we headed over the top of Lake Casitas on winding CA-150, through some traffic at perhaps a considered slow pace, but got it done with, and at the avocado groves, turned off onto CA-192. This route, with the build-up of civilization over the past 20-odd years has become nearly a city street, passing gladiolus and other fresh flower fields, other nursuries, and a number of farms giving way to housing developments. It still passes the Polo Field, and even visibly skirts the 101 as it heads into ritzy San Ysidro. Its tight, curvy, and visits and shares canyon off-shoots as it nears Santa Barbara and takes on the name, Foothill Boulevard. Good riding. Even in these modern times = On a weekday when there's no Traffic. None the less, it's still a good way over to CA-154, San Marocs Pass, on a normal Saturday morning.

Three or four miles into 192 and it became clear this Saturday was not "normal". We nosed forward, feet at a time, getting up to an intersection. From my spot about twelfth of about 14 riders, my view of proceedings was blocked by trees for a long time. But, it was apparent there was a traffic jam.

Leader turned left toward the nearby freeway rather than right to follow the original route. He's a local so he knew we could make three miles parallel to the also blocked freeway on its little traveled other side. There we had to cross back over the freeway, and get on amongst its barely moving vehicles.

Lane splitting ensued. The Numbers 1 and 2 lane gap was quite narrow because of reduced lane width to fit more lanes in the road space, and going was very slow. The two-up rider directly ahead of me was having some difficulties, occasionally tapping cars' rear bumpers with his saddlebag rub strips, both feet down, as he threaded his way through. His passenger was making things tougher than needed, bobbing her hear to gain a view over first one of his shoulders and then another, and having to move her torso to do so. I'm sure she was uncomfortable, but certainly didn't understand what it took to be successful at this, and didn't know how to contribute to the solution rather than the problem. He slowed way down, and I backed several cars behind him, crawling, even stopping with feet up, easily controlling the bike balance with the handle bars.

About three miles on we left the freeway and encounterd The Road Block. A truck had spilled oil or fuel closing the freeway at this point. Traffic was being diverted off here, but was being diverted back in the opposite direction on the frontage road because there was some spill on it too.

Leader chatted with The CalTrans Guy. Told him he was a local. Got told, "Well, the cop's not back yet..."

U-turn. Through the barriers and down the frontage road. Passed the returning CHP officer coming the other way. Hope his chiropracter fixes his neck.

We got back on the empty freeway, accelerated to 80, and eventually encountered light traffic joining the freeway. Our pace was higher that the traffic. So we threaded our way through it as we passed the center of Santa Barbara, out past The Fair Grounds, and then along the coast. I couldn't see the leader well, or at least continuously, now as about the 10th rider in the group. So, I waited for a clear shot and zipped around a two-up couple, and then a single rider.

Nearing El Capitan, the riders were strung out a bit, and lane changing of our group seemed ragged. I passed two more riders and tucked in right side, staggered, not behind, but "with", a rider I'd directly followed out of Ojai who I'd seen take precise lines into the curves.

Sixth now, I felt in a Group with the riders ahead as we slipped by, right side, passed some slower cars in the fast lane. Our speed rose to about 85 for a while doing that, and settled back in to 80. It was nearing 11:30, we'd passed by the turn-off to San Marcos Pass, and our route up Foxen Canyon. We were making time. It seemed we had a 12:30 planed arrival for lunch, though that had not been stated. I computed the time it would have normally taken me across Foothill, up San Marcos, and the distance I know my previously untravled Foxen would be. It came close to a 12:30 arrival. Leader had us on pace.

Rider Seven, directly behind me, would appear and disappear in my mirror, irking me. Riding Staggered, if you can't see the rider ahead's face in his/her mirror... they can't see you. They very much are going to want to keep track of your position. So, it's distracting work, potentially dangerous work, for them to keep track of you.

We zipped through some staggered cars at accellerated speed. Finally, Number Seven stayed back a little further, in sight now. Beyond Refugio we turned north with the freeway and through the small, winding pass. I really wanted to go faster, but even at our Pace Speed of 80, handling the corners called for some lean angle down around that "human comfort zone" of 30 degrees. Leader varied speed as required to produce smooth threading through the cars, and our tight Group Of Six simply Blitzed It.

Rider Seven, and the thickness of riders I couldn't make out now showed up in my mirror as about a third to a half mile behind. We kept on, relentless, but smooth. My Guy, Mr. Left signaled lane changes to the left, blink, blink, Move, and I would follow at the same pace of displacement, both of us ending the motion together, both turning off our turn signals at the same time. To the right, he'd check the mirror, give a quick look over his shoulder, I'd signal just as his came on, and we'd move in unison to the right line, and finish together.

Two Pairs did that. One rider, with Leader, didn't. Rather than 5 or six feet behind, and aside, they were 10 to 20 feet back. Leader was gauging lane changes -- off #6 to move as a group. Other times, he'd pace up just when the gap would allow Pairs to make the change, One Pair, Two Pair, Third Pair. It would work out, and be incredibly smooth -- except those times Number Two became "independent". Then the following pairs would need to slow, do several mirror checks, and then dive to make it, or totally reject the opportunity as "too close".

About 45 minutes later, the "second group" caught up as we turned off onto Sycamore Canyon, and single-filed it past the Nuclear Plant, along the beach with its expansive lagoon view, and into the parking lot for the pier. As we unsuited, Leader headed onto the pier an toward our lunch spot.

Walking out, taking pictures of the sea lions, and looking for the eatery, six two-up FJRs rode down the pier and parked. As they alighted and undressed for the warm, 80 degree sunshine, we gathered and introduced ourselves. Over paella they related they had backed off to a more comfortable pace.

Another group arrived while we were waiting. They had crossed on 166 after a run up I-5. The "way south guys" had started with daylight, and then together at the San Gabriels, took the shorter route North rather than stive to catch up to us. Another segment heard the 101 had been closed and joined them.

Lunch was grand. I enjoyed it, and the new company greatly. But 2PM was passing. I had a straight shot home if I took CA-166 East, then into the mountains up The Grapevine Grade, and across the high desert of The Andelope Valley. It would be cold by the time I'd covred the 200 miles over there. Darkness would fall, and I'm not as well night sighted any more. So I began packing up. As I did, I heared one of the riders relate the Mission San Antonio was enclosed in the confines of Fort Hunter-Liggett. One of the northern couples was fascinated and decided to stop there on their way home.

I heard one couple had broken off at Buellton, low on fuel. They had come up from Laguna Hills, down south in Orange County. They had about a 120 mile ride up to Ventura and hadn't had time to refuel before we took off. Had our route played out, they would have had a chance to stop for gas. But, we had been on the road a solid, non-stop. three and a half hours to get to Avila Beach, covering over 180 miles in that time, despite our clawing over mountain roads, and creeping through traffic. I'm certain they were pooped. But, they had dinner resevations and lodging there. They later posted they had the chance to tour Solvang (An Old Danish Community), some museums, and a couple of wineries, and still make dinner on time.

I rode out alone and gassed up in Pismo Beach. I turned onto CA-166 just north of Santa Maria and recalled two things. I had been fortunate to cross East to West on it before it was "improved" to a high speed, two lane thoroughfare from the goat track it had been that clung to the steep mountain cliff-sides I gazed up at. And secondly, that I had last crossed here on my K1200RS and wrote about it in "The K-Bike Kronicles", telling how the ever increasing performance of bikes across the decades had yielded a bike I could travel through here at speeds that now made me uncomfortable. The big RS would haul down from the far side of The Ton, and roll in to the bouncy sweepers at 80 to 90, and I had not a moment to spare from attending to that process. Perhaps I really did, but crashing at these higher speeds made me think it prudent to attend strictly to business.

As we rode across the first sixteen miles of cuts through mountainous cattle country, and then just mountains, I noticed I felt much more relaxed on the FJR. I was about 5 mph slower now than I had been on the K1200RS, and wondered if that alone was the cause. So I upped the pace a bit, and still felt well in control, with lots of lean left, and good ability to set the bike, and also change its line in corner if I so chose. I noticed my head was "up", the neck angle of the allowed riding position was more upright. I could see the road better; My sense of balance was bett4er. Glances to the scenery came easily. I slowed back down, 80 vs. 90 in the corners, and not much faster on the straights.

The sixteen miles seemed to pass very, very quickly. "The Tree" that marks the first Transition Corner from the Mountain Crossing, into the tighter corners again entering Cattle Country, showed up way more early than my heart expected it. The next 20 miles over to New Cuyama passed quickly too, and I stopped there slightly over a hundred miles into my return. That's longer than I usually ride in a stint. None the less, I felt well, a good meal being a help, and temps in the low 70's being welcome.

I rode on across the grade into Maricopa, some 30 or 40 miles further on, and put on my jacket liner and overpants. I stopped again before getting on I-5 and changed out of my sunglasses into clear ones. On up The Grapevine, I threaded traffic in steeply cooling temps, and then descended with the turn off onto CA-139 on down toward CA-14 and home in Lancaster.

The dying light silhoutted the hills along the San Andreas Fault in shimmering shades of salmon and pale azure tones, melding in a swirl of consciousness swaying my mind to see only a colorful unison, one much more welcomed than the dark carpet upon which arose one and another points of desert residence marking pinpoints of light. Ahead, headlights marked the space between there and here available to pass an eighteen-wheeler, or a gaggle of cars. With each mile they became more and more distinctly the only markers of space and time, and Progress.

Home, I turned off the GPS, tucked away the V1, and covered the bike. Inside, I began undressing, and greeted Puf The Cat, who, he said loudly, was ready for dinner.

A quick look out as I closed the door told me night had fully fallen, and another Ride was over.

Cool, huh?

But what about "Ride Your Own Ride"?

OK. So, riding down some curvey road, I yell in the radio to a friend, "Joe! Let him get about 4 seconds ahead. Then you'll have a clear view of the corner upcoming, can assess it fullly, match your resources to it, set your OWN plan to handle it, and do so without distractions."

Joe nods, and responds, "Right".

And with that, his lines begin to clean up. He gets smoother; I can see the chassis set, the swingarm sucks up early in the corner, and I find I'm now running hard out of the corners myself without running up too close to the back of him.

What's that about?

Examining the Fundamental, the FURTHER useful, datum, concept, skill, or understanding, "Ride Your Own Ride", I find in it some Principles:

[*]Have clear Objective(s)

[*]Prioritize Objectives or Aims

[*]Gain a full and clear sense of the Circumstances you're about to ride into

[*]Have, understand, and be willing and able to use the Resources you bring to the Ride

[*]Plan how to apply them to the Circumstances - including Contingencies

[*]Follow the Plan, and its Continencies where warranted.

Repeat those as "steps"

That applies to, and is pretty easily seen about, a corner up ahead. Each item could be reviewed and then done for this upcoming corner. And then, the next one. And, so on.

So too do these things apply to an entire Ride. In the tale above, Leader certainly had, and very well

defined, some Objectives. And they got Prioritized.

And then, he met them. He went about accomplishing them.

Hey! The Circumstances changed. So did his plan. Dozens of times. Perhaps, just perhaps, Continously. But always, he, not Circumstances, was in charge.

He got us all there in Good Order.

He got us there on time for lunch.

We got to cover some intersting, and also unexpected Ground.

We got to exercise our mounts, great bikes, to quite extreme levels at times.

We got to exercise our skills as Riders. And as Managers of our own Rides.

Of that last one, I'll point out that Mr. Left Guy and I "joined up" during that ride. In close proximity, we Agreed, from what we had been continuously learning about each other's handling of our bikes in Circumstances. We joined and rode as a Unit. From there on, "own ride" was one quite fully shared among Us Two. Cool, huh?

I think we all grew a bit from this ride.

And in many different ways.

So?

Well, how many times can you identify in the tale above, Riders wisely applying the Principals behind the Fundamental, "Ride your own ride", or not so wisely ignoring them?

Please understand, your answers don't have to please me, or even be posted. And. I'm not going to rate anyone because they got "Ten out of Twelve", or anything like that.

I'm only after, hopefully, expanding our sense of what makes for a "good ride". And how we might better do that.

Best wishes.

Wow! As 'the leader' I guess I should say, 'thanks'. But I kinda lost you at the 3/4 mark of your tale. I'll re-read in the AM and post up again. Overall, a nice description of this past weekends events.

TWN, it seems the same issue that always haunts me when I lead a ride. I really do not know the skill level of those behind, especially if I "wick it up". I have had reports from some in the groups I've led that not all riders ride The Pace and will bunch up in corners. Part of riding your own ride is recognizing the one ahead of you is riding his own ride and giving him space to do so. I always attempt to preface group rides with a "This is a ride, not a race!" statement. But I never stop worrying about those in the middle of the pack, especially since I've BTDT. At some point, I have to realize if I am pushing the rider ahead of me to ride above his/her personal limit, then its time for me to back off.

Could be why I'm not so quick to form/lead a group anymore. Its sooo much easier to meet a few friends and have a nice ride.

OK, now I'm with ya RD. Ride your own ride is a good thing. Which I do. That's one reason why I handed out maps in Ventura and stated that if anyone chose not to follow me then that was fine. I always ride a a pace that I'm comfortable with, not my riding mates. Even if we do lose each other, we always catch up. It's a code, I suppose, to do that.

And though I really wanted the group to enjoy the experience that is Foxen Canyon and Tepesquit Rd., there was just no way to do that and get to lunch on time. (Don't forget, toecutter was bringing extra utensils!) Hence my decision to throttle it up the 101. I need to get a better understanding of group dynamics as it applies to the back half of the pack... Even though there were highly skilled riders there, we still 'lost' them.

I chose 80 mph as the overall pace speed because most riders seem to be comfortable with that speed. Anything over and folks get nervous. Anything under and folks get itchy.

Mike, yeah, I hear ya, man.

Thanks, RD. Hope to ride with you again.

TWN, it seems the same issue that always haunts me when I lead a ride.  I really do not know the skill level of those behind, especially if I "wick it up".  I have had reports from some in the groups I've led that not all riders ride The Pace  and will bunch up in corners.  Part of riding your own ride is recognizing the one ahead of you is riding his own ride and giving him space to do so.  I always attempt to preface group rides with a "This is a ride, not a race!" statement.  But I never stop worrying about those in the middle of the pack, especially since I've BTDT.  At some point, I have to realize if I am pushing the rider ahead of me to ride above his/her personal limit, then its time for me  to back off.
Could be why I'm not so quick to form/lead a group anymore.  Its sooo much easier to meet a few friends and have a nice ride.
I feel exactly the same way, Mike. I enjoy riding with others, but that enjoyment gives way to other thoughts when the group gets too large. I don't like to feel that I'm going to spend the day stuck at one spot in a too slow column all day, but I don't feel the need to ride at 80%+ WFO either (that range of my riding gets done on another bike, usually by myself or with one or two others). If I commit to a group ride, I've already committed mentally to a relaxed and enjoyable pace, (but not a walk). I've enjoyed riding the couple mountain group rides I have taken with forum members a lot, but don't know that I'd be as interested if the group were as large as the dozen or more riders in this story -- especially if wer'e talking about riders with very divergent riding skills, or any that seem to lack common sense.

IMO, the larger the group gets, the less flexibility there is to accommodate individual tastes AND safety. If it's a big group, I'd rather break it into smaller group rides a few minutes apart. You socialize at the stops anyway.

EDIT to add: After reading the whole story more closely, I'll add that I don't much like riding in groups on the slab or in traffic. Actually, I don't like slab or traffic at all, especially together, and if you add in the group context, I'm not on a ride I want to take. Can't imagine lane splitting as a group -- I'd have left the group and either found another way to the destination or found another ride to take altogether. I can fight the challenges of crowded freeway traffic well enough, but I want EVERY advantage and MINIMUM distractions -- quick, smart decisions are hampered by distractions and by other riders not riding at their smartest. That means I ride alone, or functionally alone (well spaced and not connected to or worrying about others).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted the experts to know that this novice sports touring rider, tried his best 2-up, on a new bike (600 miles on the odometer), new setup (switching from cruiser), and in-experience in high speed cornering. My wife and I was excited to attend, we only knew that we were to meet a few riders in Ventura then head straight to Avilla Beach. We were held up a bit waiting for other riders (who did not arrive sufficiently) so we left with TurboDave, Danny and rode ahead.

The ride was perfect, the weather warm, uncongested traffic all the way. Our group did get a little disoriented with the exit with the JITB location and had to double back to find the group, but we finally got it right. When we pulled up in Venura it was very nice but brief to meet a few new faces. It would of been nice to refuel though, we had only 1/4 left in the tank and was hoping the next stop would be at a gas station. I told my wife we can relax at the next stop. Well, she was already ahead of me and darted to the counter and ordered a few things. She tried to drink enough diet coke she could get to rehydrate and grab a small bite, but the group was ready to depart. I made a quick pit stop and stuffed the bag of fries & burger in the front of my jacket. My wife was trying to negotiate where to put the big gulp cup, or whether she should wait another couple hours of riding to hydrate.

After getting on the road a bit, I settled down and kept a good pace in the standard staggered positions. I was a bit unsure if anyone was aware that narrow single lanes up the mountain were not good areas to ride staggered, but it seemed some wanted to ride the fine line between gravel and position. We quickly found that riding 2-up at 60mph around a 45mph curve was a bit nerve racking, and it seemed like an accordian effect in the corners when myself and a few other riders found ourselves going too hot in the corners. When we finally came across slower traffic, the angle of the road and the added weight made walking the bike uncomfortable. I'm glad we headed for an alternative route that took the frontage road. At least it was a cooler beneath the trees and gave my bike some cool air, and dissapate the heat building from the engine and from my pants.

When we exited onto the freeway, the guys ahead of us took off in style, but I need to confess that splitting lanes are not my cup of tea. As much as I tried to make the smooth transitions and trying to be gracefull with my wife onboard, the lanes seemed to get narrower and narrower, forcing me to move to the left of the traffic where the safety cones were placed. This is where we were able to catch up with the leaders at the offramp. We've been riding since 5:30am that morning starting from Laguna Hills, so it was refreshing to help our tummy and stretch alittle so we ate the cold fries and burger that was convienently smashed in my jacket. At that moment we were all instructed to rush on our bikes and head north.

It was a sad sight to see the distruction that the tanker had made, and how fortunate we were not to have been involved with the accident. At least we didnt see any tarped bodies on the ground, well not yet that is. After the accident area, we jumped on the 101 and the race was on. Forget about staggered positions, the name of the game was to keep up. I can feel the sides of my jacket squeeze when I looked down and saw the mph go from 80 to 95, reaching 100mph on some stretches. Fun you say? Yeah that was what we were doing and doing it well. We showed all the cars we passed how "Fun" it is to blast by them as a wild group, cause we an't cruizers. Then again, we weren't sports tourers either, just riders that were gonna be late for lunch, or die trying to make it on time.

My fuel was already blinking by this time, I waved a couple riders to go ahead of me, and pulled off at the next reasonable area. We stopped at the rest area before Solvang and decided to head straight to the hotel where we had room reservations. The other two riders who had stopped need ed bathroom breaks too, so we werent alone in stopping. The good thing was that Solvang was only 7 miles away, so we road the few miles and checked in. We freshened up alittle, road the backroads a little and visited some of the wineries. We rode back into town and had desert at the Rocky Mountain candy store, which almost took my caps off with them carmel apples they sell.

Evening came around and we found the Chumush Indian Casino, where we played most of the evening, netting around $1300 in winnings, hence my screen name. Very nice place, and the food was very good, especially with lobster or crab legs, so we had dinner at the buffet there.

The next morning we thought we would meet up with a couple of riders back to orange county but we couldn't communicate, so we stayed two more days at the Chumush Casino and found they have very nice luxury rooms for the same prices that we paid in Solvang. I treated my wife to a pedicure and purchased the massage package for two. It was great until the girl dumped all that aroma therapy oil, only to find out I was alergic to it which made me sneeze and my nose to run. Tues we departed back, traveling at a reasonable 70 mph and besides the mild traffic near LAX, we made it back by 3pm.

Questions: Would I ride this again? Absolutely, without my wife. I can then be as speed stupid as I want to.

Would I ride with this size of group? Probably not, I would only hold up many, and not as confident to double my speed around corners like some experts can do.

Would I travel for another luncheon? No, I didn't even make this one.

Does it change my opinion about my FJR and its ability? Absolutely not, it has been a thrill to know how better it is from my cruiser, in handling and performance.

If I had my cruiser and tried to do the same things, much less keep up with the group, I would of been blown away, and I would of ate asphalt and gravel at the first high speed corner. Now thats something to be thankful for, and thankful I still have a wife who still wants to go on trips with me, and who by the way, just made the best thanksgiving dinner yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be why I'm not so quick to form/lead a group anymore. Its sooo much easier to meet a few friends and have a nice ride.
I'm so with you on this MM2. Unfortunately group rides are all but done for me, as some of you already know. Way to many incidents of 'I'm the the biggest dick swinger in this group and I'm gonna show you how fast I can ride'. Not worth it at all sorry. 15 minutes in from the meet point and it's a free for all. I am prepared to meet at the destination for a friendly lunch and 'how do you do' but thats it, I'm riding solo to/from unless it's a very small contingent using common sense.

The groups meeting up have far too many riders, all at different skill levels and you just don't know who is around you and how their going to react. MM2 is a great leader for GR's, but unfortunately very few of the riders behind adhere to his common sense approach. It's a disaster waiting to happen, IMHO of course. ;)

The best 'group' I have met from this board who know how to ride as a 'group', while maintaining pace and distance, were the guys who left NorCal this summer heading up to WFO. There are a few other's also, but I am talking as a 'group'.

Wow! This is cool!

Several folks have looked over appying the concept of "Ride your own Ride" in both somewhat larger and much larger contexts, as I'd hoped. But ALSO, Group Riding Dynamics are being posed as an issue.

This points up to me that having a "Riding Forum" would be a good idea.

The Board where this was originally posted does have such a forum - and that's where I posted. This post was written to fit into a history of sorts of subjects we've discussed. The issues that are coming up on this FJR forum now are things we've been talking about for over three years. And, we've developed sound and workable perspectives about them, and even further, worked out ways to handle these issues.

The "Ride Well" forum is where we communicate both distresses, and methods to handle them. Communication is the key. That would be true about an individual rider's Issue, but especially true about group riding issues. Why? Because the entire basis for "Group" is that people are interacting - they are "communicating".

The first order of business then is establishing Protocol: How we're going to "communicate". In this case, "How we are going to ride together."

Two dynamics are afoot: Pace; Style.

It's true that riders will be more comfortable at a particular Pace, and for maximum enjoyment, and preservation of their wellbeing, need to ride at that comfortable pace -- alone, or with riders at the same pace.

But, that's not all. Style, is a big deal too. I mentioned our FJR front groups "style" of "Riding as Pairs". It was three, two-ship sections, where the two riders of a Section moved in unison, but were also "following the more general actions of The Lead section - thus making up "Red Flight". Another Style can be to ride a hundred yards behind the bike ahead, or perhaps Four Seconds.

Pace is not Speed alone. "The Pace", as espoused by Nick Ianatch is a Style. The Pace has a set "top speed", say 80 mph that won't be exceeded on straights. By Agreement, there will be no hard braking, and corners will be taken in a certain manner. Leader might choose His Own 80% speed for corners, or some other value. Each other rider get's to choose his own Margin and Speed in those corners - and the particular Methods for taking them. They'll re-establish their gaps, regroup, in transition sections, straighter portions of the road.

The Pace is a Style, but still subject to morphing into an overall manner that's pleasing to a particular. rider. Fifteen riders, all riding The Pace, might break into three groups, and all three groups might also have that same Pace Speed of 80. However, their micro-style can be very different, with one riding at 70% in the corners, and another at 60% (of Leaders' Own pace). And perhpas there's a group of two-up, or new riders, who just don't want to ride like that at all, and are going to Cruise and Sightsee at 55 mph.

These things I mention, and dozens more about Group Riding Dynamics, are things we've been discussing -- and getting worked out. The result is at that Board's Gatherins, 100 or 200 riders come from all over the US and Canada -- TO RIDE TOGETHER. They come principally to Ride, because they know they are going to be able to fit in with a group of folks who ride a Pace and Style they want to ride THAT day. And, they'll be able to identify them by asking some simple questions from the responders to, "Hey! Who's going up to Bald Mountain?"

Their next questions are going to be understood, and going to be answered in understandable ways. "We want to do some two-up sightseeing, and stop for a picnic lunch at Rose Flat. Who's up for that?"

Or, "I'm not certain I want to ride in 'The A group'. Who's going up there at Moderate Pace? Anybody mind if I fall to that back if I find that too fast for me?"

"So, how fast do you 'B guys' go anyway?"

Communication's the key. We need to ask questions.

It helps to work out the Protocol BEFORE we "start asking questions."

A Riding Forum is a good place to start. It's a good place to build Protocol.

There are lots of good ideas -- SOLUTIONS -- not just Bitches.

And, Group Riding is not the only aspect of riding that Riders are curious about.

Best wishes.

I do have a suggestion, maybe a model of professional bicycling would be the answer. During the beginning everyone starts out the same, looking for the comfort zone in drafting. As the race progresses at an even pace, groups appear and begin to "Indian pace" for lack of description. Where the slowest of the pack pulls at his pace to the front, then the next last rider does the same, etc etc. This keeps the pace even, and gives a few people a chance to pull to the front of the line as fast as they want. When the race comes near to the end, the "Sprinters" can go all out safely, and the rest of the pack can follow shortly arriving thereafter. However this idea would make staggering unreasonable, and form one long train. This may be good for groups of 4, 6 or 8. You can always divide the group up, and let them leave in intervals. This would take the stress of keeping a large group together, and give the faster crazy riders in the faster groups, who will get there first, and keep the lazy leg riders like my self or 2-up riders come last as a group.

Communication could be resolved by using Chatterbox like devices. I started suggesting that with another group of riders, who repeatedly lost communication with the back of the group and many either gave up following, misdirected, or worst had an accident. Cell phones are mandatory, but the chatterbox 2-way radios that we had gave us the opportunity to use a single chosen channel to talk or joke with one another. The leader gave clear instructions and repeated through out the group that a lane change was occuring, or an exit was comming up, or we were to stop and wait for the others. This was usefull when one rider had a flat tire, and the last guy with the 2-way was able to stay with the rider until the trailer was able to pick him up. With this same scenerio, I would be able to tell anyone that I was low in fuel, take the next exit and rejoin the group. Hopefully if the group has not gone beyond the 5 mile limit, I would be able to communicate I was caught up at the back of the group. This kind of communication can let the leaders vocalize the need to be cautious around certain curves, dangerous gravel or obsticles, or to point out offensive riders. This is just an suggestion, but it might resolve some issues I hope for a fun and safer trip.

I volunteered to be the sweeper on the ride to Avila Beach. I have been doing group riding and have been the lead and dragman or sweeper on thousands of miles and hundreds of group rides. One this ride, I did what I consider my responsibility as the sweeper to not leave anyone alone. ZZ talked about pulling out of the pack to take a rest break, another 03 FJR and I stopped with him. It was good to be able to relieve my bladder at my age!! However, ZZ told me he needed fuel, so as part of my responsibility as sweeper, I followed him to the exit to fuel and we seperated. He was never left stranded or behind.

IMHO, ZZ did the right thing by pulling out of the group as he felt uncomfortable with the pace. He used the principle of riding that I have used since the mid 50s, If it don't look right then don't do it.

I can ride as fast as anyone on my FJR but at my age I accept that my reflexes are not as quick as some of the younger riders, so I always want to be the sweeper on group rides if I am not the leader.

I do think it is important for the leader to coordinate with the sweeper on the route and the planned stops. TWN did this well on this ride.

I enjoyed the ride and meeting all the new faces and handles. It was a good ride somewhat messed up by the wreck on 101 but all in all a safe and good ride.

I will plan on joining other of the Clan rides but I will do as ZZ, I will ride at the pace that I feel is safe for the conditions and if I am with a passenger, etc.

I offer a suggestion for future Clan rides, if we have more than 4-5 bikes, then break the riders into two packs, those that want to rip it up and those that want to do some flower sniffing and enjoy the vistas. It works well if the two pack leaders and the sweepers are coordinated on routes stops and destinations. This concept works well, IMHO>